Monday, April 20, 2026

The Passing Of My Aunt

 My Aunt Pat passed on Sunday.

You might remember that she had a rough go the last two years:  first a cancer diagnosis (two different cancers), then a heart attack in reaction to her first chemotherapy treatment, then a series different chemotherapy sessions in which she seemed to rally a bit.

She stopped chemotherapy in December so she could have a Christmas feeling somewhat normal.  As it turned out, it was her last chemotherapy session.  A diabetic, she developed sores on her feet and the infection prevented her treatments from restarting.  And the cancer aggressively returned.

We had the opportunity to stop by and see her when we were up at The Ranch packing up the Barn.  She was, as she had ever been, awake and involved in the conversation.  It was good to see her, as always.

She entered hospice the Friday past as she had stopped eating and was having problems supporting her weight.

The doctor at initial diagnosis gave her 3 to 18 months.  She made it to 15.

---

My Aunt, as the saying goes, was a complicated person (as we all are, I have come to understand).

Her childhood and early life remains a mystery to me; she seldom spoke of it in my hearing.  She "arrived", as it were, when she married my Uncle, my mother's older brother.  Wife of a military man, she traveled with him as they went to various stations: Kaua'i, White Sands, Japan, Norway, and a final stint in San Diego before moving back to The Ranch.  She had three sons, who were for most of my life the closest cousins that I had.

My Aunt was very concerned with creating a good atmosphere - a help when your husband is a Naval Officer.  I always remember her houses being elegantly and tastefully decorated, the meals having all the right plates and silverware.

By the time they moved back to The Ranch, my sister and I were finishing up high school.  We saw them on family holidays, all the more so when (with the passing of my maternal grandmother) she began sponsoring the Family Day Christmas Dinner (which were, unsurprisingly, filled with some exotic and delicious things to eat).  She extended that celebration easily another 20 years, until relocation and grown up 2nd generation children started having lives of their own.  It gave a little life back to The Ranch, where I remember from my childhood my Great Aunt and Uncle having Christmas celebrations with 70 people or more there.  

---

It does not escape me that my Aunt's death falls on the same week as the closing of The Ranch.  I certainly cannot attribute one to the other, but it gives a certain finality to the nature of things.  I had personally committed to making sure I visited monthly as long as my Aunt was alive; I owed her that.  Her passing, and the passing of The Ranch to other hands, punctuates the fact that the visit two weeks ago was, the final visit in more ways than one.

---

With her passing, I now have a single living Aunt on TB The Elder's side.

Of that generation on my mother's side (the side we were always closer to), there remains only my Uncle and a handful (less than five) of the children of my maternal grandmother and her sisters.  The remaining are all in the 70's and 80's at this point.  The next generation more or less started with me.

It is an odd place, this sense of finality and in a way aloneness, but one that has slowly build over the years.  First the passing of one's grandparents and their generation of great aunts and uncles, then of one's parents and their generation.  

And then, slowly into one's own generation.

This is the way life has always been, at least in the "good" times, where parents outlived their children and people lived into their 70's and 80's and beyond.  For all that age brings, it is a good reminder to me that it remains a privilege to grow old, a privilege many do not obtain.

Ave atque Vale, Aunt.  May we meet again in happier climes

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm truly sorry to hear that. Family starts to thin out as we get older, so it's a good reminder to appreciate what we've got while we've got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. It was another blessing of traveling back and forth to The Ranch for almost 6 years once a month. Most people do not get that kind of time with relatives once they have moved.

      Delete
  2. Nylon125:44 AM

    My condolences TB on your loss. Seconding Leigh's point.....years fly by and then parents, aunts and uncles are gone and you're the oldest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - All too quickly, I fear. We are very close to me being the senior surviving family member, at least of our branch.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:21 AM

    Today is my sister's 70th birthday. She is a year and six days older than I am. Today is also the day my stepdaughter goes to the hospital for the delivery of her child. Isn’t it something how life goes on…in with the new…out with the old…I truly blessed to live in such age where we have answers to so many of our questions right here at our fingertips…Love to All

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - It is amazing that, for all of our individualized griefs and incidents, life continues on as if nothing had happened at all. Certainly gives me pause as I consider my interactions with folks.

      Delete
  4. My condolences on the loss of your aunt. May the perpetual light shine upon her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed. She is now reunited with most of her family and those of our own that have gone on.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry your aunt suffered so in her last months, TB. It seems a right thing to do to remember all that - as a Christian, one of my hopes is my children will remember as the last battle is fought, the victory is already won. Aunt Pat sounds like an interesting person to me. It is sobering to reach the stage in life where one starts counting how few are left in the previous generation. And then suddenly we are that older generation that soon our children and nieces and nephews will start counting. You're not quite there, but if we're fortunate enough to grow old, it arrives before we realize it. I hope that isn't too much. I was already in this reflective mood yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - Of course it is never too much. Would that we all had more reflective days to consider things.

      Ours is not really a family that speaks (or every really spoke) about our beliefs; it remained a largely personal affair. That said, based on what I know, I have every confidence to see my Aunt again. God is, in that way, far more generous than we could ever hope for.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!