Tuesday, April 21, 2026

April 2026 Ranch Visit (II): The End

Today The Ranch will slip away.

It will go unnoticed.  A series of electronic actions will occur based on signatures made on documents.  Filings will happen.  An electronic transfer will go out.

The New Owner will take formal possession of the keys.  Electricity and propane and garbage and property taxes will be ended,  reincarnated in the New Owner's name.

The House, The Cabin, The Barn - now standing empty and unoccupied - will in the days and weeks ahead come to be filled with new contents and new experiences, new adventures and new plans, new memories.  All belonging to someone else.

The end of an era will come with no notice at all, just the quiet whizzing of electrons over systems.

A Road ends.  Where it leads from here, I cannot now see.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is, Leigh.

      I am sure that next month it will seem a little odd I am not going there. And then it will feel a little less odd the next, and the next...I have been so far between for so long, I wonder what "being" somewhere will be.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    Ditto what Leigh said.
    I ponder it from time to time. The previous house I owned was built in 1921. We were the 7th family to live there, sold it to the daughter of the 4th family that lived there (was her childhood home). That cemented some of my feelings about things.
    It's been said better by souls far more elegant than me. We're merely passing through. The buildings we decorate, revere, and hold our family inside, are sticks and bricks. The wood isn't magical, what goes on inside is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Probably a bigger "shock" than this was when my parents sold my childhood home that they had lived in for almost 35 years. They went back some years later and walked through it; the young son that had my room was so excited to show it to them.

      We are indeed merely passing through. Sic transit gloria mundi.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:25 AM

    A lot in Life is discovering places - people - hobbies which bring us great joy. As Time goes by, they slowly disappear from our lives. People move or pass away. Places we remember are changed by the present owner and become paved over. It happens to all of us over time.

    The thing to do is to make time to remember them as they were and appreciate them as much as possible. For there is no gaurentee they will be here forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - I am approaching an odd tipping points of sorts where I am beginning to feel the disappearances of people and things more keenly than I have before. I am also realizing more and more that the horizon is not infinite; there are things I will never get to. That is a hard thought for me to get my head around.

      As you suggest, enjoy what we have while we have it.

      Delete
  4. The memories however will remain with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Ed. Hopefully when our living arrangements are a little more permanent, I can have more of those memories visible as well.

      Delete
  5. Nylon127:54 AM

    Leigh, Ed and Anon have hit the salient points already. Photos can help with memory TB, pics of my parent's house that I grew up in help to focus memories that grow dim over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good point, Nylon12. Now that everything is out, we can sort through things like those photos at leisure and find places for them.

      Delete
  6. Moving on is hard, but the memories live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, Sarge. And now, that is all that is left.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!