Tuesday, April 07, 2026

2026 Japan: Hasedera (III)

 Hasedera is built on the side of a hill, so we have been climbing from the base of the hill to the main temple complex.




Buddhist graves:




The main temple.  The statue is inside - sadly, no pictures allowed:



A view from the temple level of Kamakura Bay:




4 comments:

  1. Nylon128:17 AM

    Those walking surfaces TB, concrete? What's the statue like? Please to excuse the questions sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All questions are good Nylon12! Yes, concrete/bricks in this case.

    The statue is a bit overwhelming. It really does stand a bit past 30 feet tall and is covered in gold. Sadly, I looked online - no images I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roof lines fascinate me. I'd be curious as to how they built them.

    In the first picture, is that a cauldron in front of the temple? Somehow it made me think of the laver in front of the Temple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that is a great question. All I know is that these are very traditional forms of Japanese architecture (although, for example, they can be recreated in concrete as well).

      The cauldron is actually a container for incense sticks which is holding sand. The fifth picture from the bottom is a close up of it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!