Thursday, February 15, 2024

The Collapse CXXXVI: Independence Day +1

04 July 20XX+1

My Dear Lucilius:

Independence Day is upon us.

You might remember the last Independence Day I wrote of last year: it was almost a community event of sorts (likely I saw Pompeia Paulina there, although I do not remember her), with song and a potluck. Quite the social event, for our very small town.

A great deal has happened between that July 4th and this one.

There was no formal notice of any gathering; the only sign that something was up was some raising the U.S. Flag and Gasden Flags on the same pole outside of the post office that has become our community center. People started to drift in as the day went on, bringing chairs and water.

Unlike last year, there was no potluck or band. And unlike last year, every one was heavily armed.

I would likely not have gone but for Pompeia Paulina’s insistence that I go. I have seen more than I desire of groups of people of late and do not hold the best memories of them. But she insisted, noting that if I did not get out, likely Young Xerxes would not come.

As you can imagine, I went.

People moved back and forth in the small groups, greeting one another with nods and handshakes but with muted conversations. It is as if a pall had fallen over the entire group of us, a shroud borne of the world we now live in and especially the recent challenges we had faced.

I passed a nodding greeting to two or three that I recognized as those that had also gone “Over The Mountain”. Young Xerxes was more himself than he had been of late, almost gregarious in his greetings of people he knew – and, it seemed, he knew a lot of people (which I had always suspected).

Looking at the faces in the crowd, the contrast between last year and this was stark. There were not thin and drawn faces of privation such as I had seen in pictures of civil wars and mass starvation. What I did see were the faces of people that had already started to manage their way of life as if things were going to continue to get worse, not better. People who realized – even myself, recently – that what was being faced was not something that was either going to resolve itself or get better. How the world was, we really did not know. But what our world looked like, we knew all too well.

It was at that moment that someone tremulously started sting The Star Spangled Banner.

It was reedy and a bit thin, but the singer at least had the courage of their convictions to belt out the first line. There was a moment of pause then two or three voices joined in, the entire chorus becoming stronger as the song continued on. By the time the bombs were bursting in mid air, we were all singing at the top of our lungs.

As we finished out the song with a round of applause, it was if some dam had broken or the shroud had been lifted. People began speaking in louder tones, almost normally. Some folks scuttled off and soon enough, another three piece band was performing songs which were as peppy as they were foreign to me, with words that I could only half understand as I whirled Pompeia Paulina through the crowd.

The band must have played for two or three hours until they and the crowd were exhausted. Like it or not, even on Independence Day, there was still work to be done.

It struck me that evening – and I said as much to Pompeia Paulina – that in some ways, this was really a sort of First Independence Day for us. Certainly, we all shared some things, as the Star Spangled Banner rendition demonstrated. And yet, this was the first time we celebrated a day that we were truly Independent – mostly not of our own choosing of course, and with definite hardship and uncertainty.

If this is Independence, Luculius – being responsible not just in some ways but in all ways for one’s self, facing the future with a certain fear and yet a certain sense that one’s fate is truly for one’s making – one can understand how such a concept could become the stuff of legends.

How remarkable – and I confess, exciting – that even at my age, there is still something to look forward to.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:12 AM

    And that's the kind of Independence Day that needs to be recorded, written down and not just stored in the memory banks of the mind. A number of folks were responsible for providing security for the community, hope someone is thinking of fire protection also TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that once upon a time, those were the sorts of Independence Days that were had, not the pre-programmed extravaganzas we now enjoy.

      Fire protection is a good point and will matter all the more, given that all social services seem to have collapsed.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:13 AM

    After the recent conflict, I can imagine a lot of people still in shock on what happened and what was required to get done. No period of time to prepare or de-escalate what had happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a lot of it. I think it is also the fact that, like Seneca, the realization sinking in that things are not turning around.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:53 AM

    Becoming the 'stuff of legends' puts voice to how I imagine my role and legacy. Occasionally, I'm sure, a bit delusional, but I have confidence in the outcome of human history, and pray for guidance in living that out.
    We live in interesting times ...
    Alittle East of Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EoP - That is a great goal to have! I may have to borrow that.

      Delete
  4. The reflections on independence and what it requires are important. I think only a people willing to be responsible and accountable for their actions can create a truly free society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, the idea of what "independence" means - and what it requires - is both something that would make for an excellent series of reflections, and has been a subject of questioning for thousands of years. Maybe someday I will be up to the task.

      "Responsible and Accountable" - two words seldom heard in our modern discussion of independence.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!