Thursday, February 08, 2024

The Collapse CXXXV: Ruminating

03 July 20XX +1

My Dear Lucilius:

Pompeia Paulina encouraged me to write this; I have had almost zero interest in doing so since my return. More power to her for suggesting me to do so; left to myself I doubt I would have done so for another week or more at least.

You may ask “What is the problem, friend?” I wish I could define it for you more completely.

Oh, it is not from any sense of recovering injury. Yes, I slept for hours and hours upon my return – a slug-a-bed, as Shakespeare might have referred to me. Pompeia Paulina generously let me sleep and took care of everything in my absence.

I have tried to keep myself busy in ways for the last three days – obviously no matter what has happened outside, the work here still needs to be done: Quail need to be fed, the garden needs to be looked after, food gathered, rabbits need to be fed and reminded they are the only pet in the world - the small things of living preparing for a Winter that is coming all too soon that need to be dealt with.

We had dinner with Statiera and Young Xerxes at least twice as well. The conversations were not as fluid as they had been before, with Statiera and Pompeia Paulina carrying the conversation. I plugged in as I was able to; Young Xerxes seemed lost in some other place, although by the end of the second meal he was at least making an effort to act as his old self.

It is not the fact of what happened that haunts me, Lucilius. It is the fact of what it represents.

There have been significant bad events in our own lifetimes: economic, political, even attacks on our soil. And each time, no matter how how bad or difficult things were, they eventually swung back to some semblance of what they were before – maybe not perfect, but the lights still worked and money was still accepted and we could drive across town or across state in safety and ease.

Not now Lucilius, not now.

The implication of an armed group of Looters making their way through settled lands, looting and stealing (and likely killing) as they go, makes a statement about the state of the world now in a way that missing power and isolation did not, at least for me. It speaks to two facts.

The first is that (apparently) all civil authority has broken down. Yes, I know – we are on the “fringes” of modern society in the minds of most in that regard, but still there was a real sense of belonging to a larger whole where the rule of law was accepted and practiced. That is gone, it seems – gone for how long is anyone’s guess, but my suspicion is that once such a thing is gone, it takes a great deal for it to be re-established.

The second is that this now seems more than the sort of events that happened in the past where things eventually “snapped back” into the established tracks. There is no snapping back now, only the alarming scenario of a flash flood breaking across a plain with no channels whatsoever.

The signs have been there for a while now, my friend. Perhaps through willful ignorance or a genuine vain hopefulness, I though things were different. I was wrong in that assessment: there are no evidence of things getting better, only gradations of things going poorly.

It is not the bodies of The Looters that haunt my thoughts, Lucilius. It is the body of a civilization lying there by the road, picked away at by the vultures and carrion scavengers until only the bones are left.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

14 comments:

  1. Well said. Too often the grand story of Kings and Knights forgets the pawns (peasants/citizens) that were there.

    The problem with civilization is it takes so much effort of good people working together to build over decades (centuries) and but the actions of indifference and brutal chaos to dismember.

    Or as I've told it to others less of the Philosophical bent:

    It takes many people working together to harvest trees, mine ores and make lumber and nails. It takes many people to transport and build with those materials a house.

    It only takes a few years of allowing rot and rodents to ruin it, OR one crazy with a bottle of "Mostly Peaceful flaming Protest" to reduce it to ashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, this was a point well made in H. Beam Piper's Space Vikings as well (an excellent book, if you have never read it). One of the main characters notes that there are two ways to decivilize. One is catastrophic failure by war or disease. The second is the slow decivilization that comes from fewer and fewer people maintaining the civilization and its technology and decreasing standards of living and operation until "suddenly", the civilization is lost.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:36 AM

    The realization of all you took for granted would stay the same. That society would continue to advance. That we would be able to find a way to coexist with other cultures and become stronger for it. That the world would someday find a cure for cancer. That culture and arts would continue to be available to those who seek it.

    Its a bitter pill, that taste of Reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very smart person (not me, of course) once noted that one of the siren songs of the modern concept of "progress" is that things are always going to continue to move forward and get better. The realization that such a thing is not given, that the pinnacle was reached years ago, would be a bitter pill indeed.

      Delete
  3. Nylon126:53 AM

    One has to look beyond the Bread and Circuses and the Gaslighting to see the decline of civilization, Looters showing up in your neighborhood/locale make it suddenly real. For Seneca, Young Xerxes and the rest the collapse of civilization wasn't FINAL until violence mushroomed right there. Having to kill in self- defense can be a life altering event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - One of the great signs of failure of the Roman Empire was its inability to protect its own citizens from the ravages of raids and looting. Suddenly the Empire's ability to provide what it had promised in "exchange" for taxes was laid bare.

      There are things that, once having happened, change things forever.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:59 AM

    This, for me, may be the most disturbing chapter in the narrative, in that we may be here, now. If we have already crossed that Rubicon, I sit here typing and only sadness comes forth.
    My personal strategy is for my protectorate to be able to manage 'round one' with a measure of grace, round two is far more intimidating, we can truly, scarcely imagine.

    A little East of Paris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was disturbing for me as well. The fact that it hits far too close to home in the real world is even more disturbing.

      Depending on one's view, the Rubicon may have already been crossed.

      Delete
  5. Sbrgirl8:04 AM

    Oh my goodness, your last paragraph was, to say the least, sobering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sbrgirl, I have no idea where some of this comes from. I just sit down to write and the words show up.

      Delete
  6. Chapters like this are what makes this such a good read. Action is great, but Seneca's thoughts and reflections really take the story to a higher level. I like that the reader is intellectually engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh.

      It is odd to me - I literally do not know where some of this comes from. Seneca has a life of his own now, and often it is just him relating his story to me. Which strikes me as odd, since he completely lives inside of my head.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:59 PM

      He lives inside your head, he's not you. You created or discovered him, but by his thoughts are his own. You have to learn them. Seneca views things from his own point of view.
      I've heard several authors say something along those lines, & it somewhat describe your situation.
      --Tennessee Budd

      Delete
    3. TB - Thanks. It makes sense, and is what I have read of other authors as well. They initially "make" a character but once created, they develop a life of their own.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!