Thursday, December 24, 2020

Santa's 20% Off Adventure

 Every year for many years now, Santa has gone Cost Plus World Market for The Ravishing Mrs. TB's stocking stuffers.

Santa, it seems, is a bit of a lazy bum in this regard and (apparently) is a great believer of "one-stop" shopping.  However, he is also a wily and knowledgeable shopper and knows his gift giving audience.

Cost Plus World Market, if you do not have one in your locale, was originally a sort of "exotic goods" sort of ground for Americans that never went to foreign places.  Over the years they have expanded away from cheaper items into furniture, native produced goods, and cooking/food preparation items - and wine, perhaps the most important element of any good stocking.  Between the different sorts of food, coffee, candles, and other knick knack things - and the wine, of course - Santa does pretty well for himself.

This year, as Santa was getting ready to make his "last minute run" (not only is Santa a lazy bum in the shopping sense, he tends to putting off going at all), he received an alert from The Ravishing Mrs. TB (who, strangely, seems to know where all the stocking stuffers come from) letting him know that Cost Plus World Market was giving a 20% discount if you shopped remotely and picked up it up at the store.   Add to that the discount one gets when one is a "member", and the savings started to add up.

And so Santa, bless his lazy behind, shopped online, waited to get his notification, and leisurely drove down to the store to pick everything up.

Beyond the fact that Santa is 1) Lazy; and 2) Predictable, there are a couple of interesting facts here:

1) That a store can give a 20% discount across the board and consider that to be profitable says something about their mark up.

2)  I am genuinely curious to see if this is a post-Plague habit that stays.  From the store's point of view, it probably makes sense.  Yes, they lose a certain amount of income from individuals not shopping in person and make impulse buys, but they save in terms of time to turn around orders (versus paying staff to check people out and answer questions and the casual shoppers that take up space and time and purchase nothing) and frankly (did not think about this until now) save on the risk of shoplifting.    I am perfect for this sort of thing:  for 90% of the shopping I do I know specifically what I want before I go in the store - why not just have it ready for me?

This only works for somewhere like Cost Plus World Market where Santa is rather familiar with the items that are present and knows what he wants.  It works much less better at a store where he does not have such insight - more of the blind firing of an Amazon order.

Either way, for 20% off Santa would shop this way every time.

14 comments:

  1. I like 20% off! If I could do all of my shopping online I would never visit a store ever again, but then I've always been that way! Merry Christmas TB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, saving money is never a bad thing. And like you, if I never went in another store again I would not miss it at all.

      Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete
  2. But you will miss hearing Christmas songs in a whole bunch of non-English languages. And that could be bad, or good, depending on taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny John - I am not at all conscious that they even had music in the background. Now I will have to go in a check!

      Delete
  3. Wow! There are 32 of those in Texas. I also noticed Santa waited to tell me this until today.... ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, they are a nationwide chain. And their food deals are actually not that bad (wine too, if you are so inclined).

      Santa apologizes, and will endeavor to do better in the future...

      Delete
  4. I seldom “shop” too, I know what I want, I know why I need it, and that’s that for that! Back when I had a family, I started thinking about next Christmas on Boxing Day and had everything done by June. I can’t handle the Christmas crowds and the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, you and I are alike in that. I only go when I specifically know what I want.

      Fortunately (for me), The Ravishing Mrs. TB takes care of all that. I have to shop for her gift, Santa covers the stocking. I have started getting a small gift for each of the girls as well but it is, again, targeted shopping.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of such a place but it sounds better than the corner drugstore that I hit up two days ago for stocking stuffers. I normally go to one of those dollar stores but I figured it was going to be too crowded for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the overall selection is probably not that different from the corner drugstore, just more expensive. Their food offerings, at least, are fun.

      Delete
  6. ... and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed! The same to you and your family!

      Delete
  7. There's a Cost Plus not terribly far from us.
    I see a mini road trip in our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is fun to go there once in a while.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!