Monday, December 07, 2020

Book Review: Gene Everlasting

I have been a fan of Gene Logsdon since I first discovered him in the summer of 2000 in his book The Contrary Farmer.  At the time, we had just purchased a home and I was in the process of establishing a garden and working on some early concepts with The Ranch.  Suddenly I found someone who spoke what I was thinking, who did so with thought and a rather sharp pen, who held politicians and large corporations in equal distain, and who actually practiced what he preached in that he moved back to his childhood home (literally) and proved that one could make a sustainable living of sorts on a small farm.  I have over 70 books on agriculture in that part of my library; Logsdon's books are at least 20% of them.

Logsdon passed away in 2016 (his last book, Letters to A Young Farmer, was reviewed here), but that was not the first time he faced his mortality.  The first was in 2012, when he was diagnosed with cancer.  The book to be discussed, Gene Everlasting:  A Contrary Farmer's Thoughts on Living Forever, was written during and slightly after that event.

The book is, not surprisingly, themed with the content of death, dying, and renewal.  Logsdon contemplates his own death, the nature of life as viewed by a farmer, his thoughts on death (and in a sense, living forever), and what it looks like when one has essentially been issued a reprieve.

The book, like any other Logsdon book, is a mixture of philosophy, thoughts, and practical advice.  In "Intimations of Immortality I and II" he contemplates chickweed and pigweed and what they say about agriculture and life.  In "The Days The Pigs Must Die" he gives a rather detailed discussion to the butchering of pigs (to the point one feels one might be able to do it).  In "Staying Longer in the Saddle" he talks practically about how using tools can enable someone who is older to stay active in agriculture by using simple tools and measures to replace brute strength.  In "Facing Death" he discusses his process of chemotherapy (He was treated at The Cleveland Clinic; if they are smart, they will pass this out as a description of the process to every new cancer patient.  It is a great primer on what to anticipate).  And in "One More Spring" he talks about looking at life around his farm in a new way throughout the year after successful chemotherapy.

Some (of the many) quotable quotes:

"In nature, nothing much really dies.  The various life-forms renew themselves.  Renewal, not death, is the proper word for the progression of life in nature.  If I died of cancer, the proper response would be to bury my flesh and bones for fertilizer in a celebration of natural renewal."  (Garden Therapy Along With Chemotherapy)

"She (Logsdon's mother) would never let her children mope around feeling sorry for themselves.  "When you grow up and get some real problems, you'll think you deserve the luxury of a nervous breakdown" she would tell us.  And then she'd give us more work to do." (Killdeer Woman)

"Large, industrial monocropping just ain't natural.  Large, concentrated populations of people in large cities who need large, industrial monocropping to stay alive ain't natural, either."  (Intimations of Immortality II)

"I wonder if our repugnance over killing animals for food is but another manifestation of our fear of dying and being eaten ourselves." (The Day The Pigs Must Die)

"A further advantage of this new perspective on life was a greater feeling of freedom over whether my opinions about science or religion were going to irritate people and bring angry retaliation.  I didn't have to be afraid of losing my job.  I didn't have one anymore.  I was not running for public office or trying to win a popularity contest.  I was too old to care about human respect.  Old men can be dangerous to society." (One More Spring)

If I ever have a complaint about Logsdon, it is sometimes that his acerbic wit gets the better of him and he loses his point in some rather old baggage he seems to carry with him (I am hopeful that he made his peace with God; he had a lot going on in that regard).  That does not detract from his overall writing, but sometimes I wish he would have read it in the context of the point he was trying to make, instead of making that smaller point.

But that is a small point to quibble with a man recovering from cancer.  And those small points do not detract from the overall tone of the book, which ultimately ends on a hopeful note:

"Memories were the compost of the thinking process, enriching the mind world, never dying as long as there were people who kept on remembering and the written word stayed safe in books or the electronic cloud-god in the sky." (One More Spring)

Overall, definitely a recommended book and worth having on your agricultural/philosophical/social agitator bookshelf.

10 comments:

  1. I love Gene Logsdon! His were among some of the first books we read when we were trying to get a start on our homesteading lifestyle. I didn't know about this book. Sounds like a good addition to the Gene Logsdon section in my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I really do as well. I suppose I got to this book later because it did not seem to have as much "practical" knowledge as others. I was wrong, of course. It has just as much as ever.

      I cannot think of a bad work I have read by him yet.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like I need to check out a book or two of his. Growing up on a farm, I'm pretty sure I could go back fairly easily but I'm not sure about my wife and kids. I personally liked those years when we would often go several weeks to a month without seeing someone else and not really missing it because there was always so much to do and keep our minds occupied with the farm. I remember what a treat it was to gather with other area farmers for a hog roast after the harvest was finished, something that never happens anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think you will like him as I think he and you shared probably similar upbringings. As I wrote above, I have not read a bad thing by him. I might recommend The Contrary Farmer as a great starting point for his overall practices and philosophies. A lot of what he general covers there is more specifically written of in other books.

      Delete
    2. I searched through his catalog and ended up ordering four books that I plan on giving as another gift to my wife with the hopes that she will let me read some of them before her. I got Two Acre Eden which I think my wife would really enjoy along with Gene Everlasting, Letter to a Young Farmer and Successful Berry Growing. The last one is hopefully a learning book since I have never grown any domesticated berries but want to try in our new garden.

      Delete
    3. Ed, I have not read Successful Berry Growing but own Small Scale Grain Raising. If Berry Growing is like that, you will find it full of useful advice.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the review. I've just ordered a copy and very much look forward to it. I also had to order another of his: Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind. If his writing has the acerbic wit of his title, it should be fun to read too.
    I've long enjoyed reading Joel Salatin, and Gene sounds like a fellow traveler.
    As for the subject of philosophy, I did my undergraduate degree in the subject, and I'll never forget attending a lecture by Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. She spoke about dealing with terminal children and how to communicate with them. She had an entire auditorium of people in tears with the power of her speech.
    I do think that meditations on mortality is one of the most grounding things one can do; eminently worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Greg! If you like the Manure book, you would probably like Good Spirits: A New Look at Ol' Demon Alcohol. It is much in the same vein.

      I enjoy Salatin as well. I think the difference between Salatin and Logsdon is Salatin can be a little more nice about things sometimes.

      That must have been quite a lecture.

      Delete
  4. many thanks logsdon is one of my favorites
    all flesh is grass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Deb!

      I have that book as well, although it has some years since I have read it. Good excuse to read it again.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!