Tuesday, December 08, 2020

News From The World Of Travel - December 2020 Edition

 Back out amongst the world of travelling this week to The Ranch and back.  Some general observations:

1)  I fly out of and into relatively major city airports.  The traffic in them are still very much reduced and do not seem to be significantly improving - more since July and August certainly, but not that much better.  I continue to wonder how these airports continue to survive.  The regional ones, I imagine, are even worse.

2)  As part of my travel, I usually go through a hub airport.  These have definitely increased in traffic over time and almost seem close to what I normally expect for travel.  Masks are required in the airport, but socially distancing is, practically speaking, impossible.

3)  The face shield does not seem to be making a significant inroad in travelling - a few people have them, but not many more than the last two months.

4)  This was first trip I have made since February of this year that the middle seat was occupied.  It was not quite as uncomfortable as I thought it was going to be, although it definitely felt different after months of traveling with an empty middle seat (I also forgot how much longer it takes to exit a plane when the center seats are full).

Assessment?  No matter what you read, travel is only coming back slowly if at all.   Add to that potential requirements of quarantining when you arrive somewhere and the likelihood that a great deal of what you want to do is going to be closed, all the inconveniences of air travel (which I am reminded of again and again) and I suspect it will be much longer than any one expects until air travel is back.

4 comments:

  1. Since I suppose the early 00's, I have just lost all desire for airplane travel. If I have a choice of 10 hours by car or a two hour flight, I will go for the former. Mostly it is because planes have shrunk the distance between seats so that my long legs no longer fit but it is also the lack of civility and lack of experience it once was. Once in no longer feels like cattle being herded onto a trailer to be taken to slaughter, I might reconsider my stance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and hijacking a plane is more likely than hijacking your car, I think.

      Plus 1 to you.

      Be safe, all. And God bless.

      Delete
    2. Ed, travel is certainly not what it used to be - honestly, if I was not coming out to see my parents on a regular basis, I would be traveling not at all. It is just not a great experience anymore, even at the best of times. I would extend the "cattle car" aspect to every aspect of travel, not just the airplane, but the airport, security, etc.

      Fortunately or unfortunately, my genetic disposition is such that legs are not an issue for me.

      Delete
    3. Linda, interesting point - I cannot remember the last time I heard of a hijacking (or really any violence on a plane, except for people getting thrown off. Honestly, I am much more fearful of car jackings that I am of plane hijackings (statistically, far more likely to happen).

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!