Friday, December 18, 2020

Buy Nothing New

 An interesting phenomenon - one that we ourselves had used somewhat last year but more so than ever this year - is the urban concept of "buy nothing new".

It works like this:  you live in an urban or suburban neighborhood and belong to some kind of InterWeb group on one of the social media platforms (The Book of Face, for example).  People list things that they have in their home and are giving away.  The giver chooses by any number of methods - first requestor, speaking as to what they will use the item for, or random funny pictures.  A "winner" is selected.  The item is placed out on the doorstep and the winner comes by and picks it up.

As I said, this is something that we had participated in a little in 2019, but 2020 and the general economic uncertainty and the fact that with much more time on our hands, there was much more time to go through things, we have done this a lot more.  We have given away clothes, any number of knick knacks, boxes, a mattress, girl related items that ours have outgrown, and paint.  We have gotten a mattress, unexpired food (coffee, chicken broth) and various and sundries in return.

The system is a marvel of efficiency.  We do not have to struggle to load things up and take them down tot the local donation center - in fact we do not pay for fuel at all as the winners come and get it.  Our house gets cleaned out.  Items get repurposed and reused. We spend less money.

I should also point out that the government - state, local or otherwise - have no involvement in this at all.  This is a purely private initiative.  And, as there is only gifting and not selling, there is no bothersome tracking of expenses or potential taxes.

Yes, I understand that we are not getting money for the items.  But having tried to sell various items on-line over the years, I can tell you that from my point of view it is not worth the headache.  I have made a little money, but never really enough to justify the effort.  At this point I just consider the money I spend on an item to be a "sunk cost" and accept the reality that it only has value as a barter good (possibly) or to gift to someone else (more likely).

I know this sort of ecosystem will not work everywhere (rural areas, I imagine, would be far more difficult) but I find it to be a lovely example of how goods can get reused, money saved, and people working to exploit opportunities and meet needs - all without any sort of government involvement.  In a way, this is the economy at its best.

6 comments:

  1. I too have sold things online over the years but generally find it not worth the effort anymore. I still give something away if it has perceived value to myself anyway but even that gets my heart rate up at times. I just gave away a metal shelving unit in my garage and the person said they would pick it up that evening. They picked it up 10 days later. In normal years, my preferred method is to just give everything over to a block wide four day garage sale that happens every spring and tell them to make whatever deals are necessary to ensure it doesn't come back across the street. That didn't happen this spring and with my garage remodel, I had an overwhelming amount of stuff that I didn't want to hang onto until next spring (or later) and didn't want to go through the hassle of listing everything as free to whomever picks it up. So I just loaded it up and paid to dump it in the landfill. Not environmentally friendly but it sure improves my sanity when I go out to the garage and see how organized it now looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have to say on the whole this has worked out pretty well. About 90% of the people come to get the materials just as they promised that they would.

      On the other hand, I have also done (and will probably do again) as you have done. Sometimes there is nothing for it but a mass exodus of stuff.

      Delete
  2. That really sounds great, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I have to say that I am surprised how efficiently and pleasantly it has worked out. I think that a testimony to the fact is a loosely organized grassroots effort.

      Delete
  3. That sounds amazing! We have a weekly giveaway like that but it is just people putting trash out on Wednesdays. A* won't let me take much and couches to burn are right off the table. I am mostly joking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A* seems to be that quality minded sort of person...

      It is amazing. The amount of things we have been able to have reused by others is astounding - and oddly enough, the house seems not one whit less full.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!