Tuesday, September 01, 2020

A Brief Return To The Office

Yesterday I had to go back into the office. 

It was my turn to convert over from our current mail system to the Macrohard system.  I had been putting this off - first because I really did not want to go into the office and then because of a mandated 14 day quarantine period, but technology, it seems, finally caught up with me.

The building I went to at first was the original building that we moved to in 2016, three months or so after I had started with The Company.  As I like to tell the story, there was 31,000 square feet and only 16 of us.  The idea of filling the space up at that time was ridiculous at best.

Fast forward almost 4 years.  The space is completely built out and filled out - in fact, over filled out to the point that we are moving to "open offices" and "hot desking" to accommodate the overflow. 

When I arrived - mind you, this is with only essential staff on site- I walked up to a group holding an outside meeting and realized that I recognized only one of them.  Moving through the facility, I stopped and said hello to folks that I knew, but realized that about 60% of them I did not know. 

The facility was changed as well, 2/3's of the way through the final build out.  I recognized the layout - good heavens, I was involved in the planning and the communication - but to see it was to realize that the building I knew and had worked in for 3.5 years was largely gone.

I then had to go off to the other site, about half a mile down the road.  Here, the building was not different but empty.  Eerily empty.  We rent 50,000 square feet in perhaps a 500,000 square foot building - and there were maybe a dozen of us in there total, including employees, security, and cleaning staff.  The escalators were on, the lights were burning, the air conditioning was keeping us at a temperate 78 F, the flat screens in the lunch rooms were showing videos of home improvement  to empty tables and chairs which, no doubt, had been sanitized sometime during the day.

My office, which I had not been in since the end of March, was stripped of the personal items I took with me leaving only the skeletal framework of computer screens and a docking station looking out over the tops of oak trees and parking lots for an office I officially had less than one month.   All of the items I saw in March that I had to get down were still up on the big whiteboard, waiting to be removed.  I looked.  Most of them had been completed.

I erased everything and left the key on the Office Manager's Desk. 

(Although no-one has yet said it, after A Sort of Hamerfall the office is no longer mine.  It is just easier sometimes to do a thing rather that inconveniencing individuals and setting up embarrassing conversations that can easily be avoided.)

The migration took longer than expected - do they not always? - which gave me plenty of time to think as I worked between teleconferences.  I had hours to sit in my old office - I was not supposed to access e-mail so my ability to do work was limited - and just think.

I realized how changed the company is.  And how isolated I felt.

It was six months, almost to the day, since my change in positions was decided, five months since I started working from home, three months since I transitioned into my new job.  And seemingly, the world - at least my work world - has changed dramatically in that time.

I feel strangely saddened.

I cannot really put my finger on the reason why.  Part of it, perhaps, is simply that the people that I knew and associated and worked with are becoming fewer and fewer, diluted into an onrush of newcomers or simply disappearing from The Company down the HR Memory Hole.  Part of it is that the structures and processes that I knew - in some cases put in place - are slowly being abandoned or transformed - all natural of course with arrival of my replacement and new management, but noticeable.  And perhaps part of it (if I admit to my own vanity) is that I, too, am slipping out of memory and mind, becoming only a ghost in the machine, a sage of a particular place and time who may, occasionally, have information of some value.  At one time I was one in seventeen.  Now, I am one in over two hundred.

When I left, it was with the realization that it was quite likely I would not be in again before the beginning of 2021 and perhaps some time after that.  And that with that amount of time, the changes that I saw were going to become even more pronounced, more noticeable.

There was a time when I saw myself associated with where I work for years and years.  Now, perhaps not so much - not from anything I have done or they have done, but rather that the company I started at and helped shape is gone and the corporation has arrived.

Finally, even ghosts in the machine disappear.

10 comments:

  1. Glenfilthie6:34 AM

    You aren’t looking at it right, TB. Used to be, maybe long ago, that maybe men had careers, took pride in their work, were loyal to their employers, and derived some modicum of benefit in return. For many of us that is no longer true.

    For me, anyways... I was merely an economic unit, replaceable and expendable... and lord, that company expended a lot of people. For all my time there I was there, I looked at them the same way; they were never more than a pay cheque. It’s a dehumanizing relationship... but at least when it ends there are no regrets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I think all you say is true Glen. Perhaps the only thing that seems different to me at the moment is that The Company has gone to a lot of trouble to find another position for me (as it has with a number of other individuals) in this rather large reorganization. That said, that is another hallmark of a smaller company. Large companies are much less prone to that level of involvement.

      Delete
    2. All the more reason not to be sad or introspective about it then! They obviously value you; and that is a big deal these days!

      :)

      Delete
    3. It is, Glen. Unfortunately, I think being not-sad and not-introspective is not in my nature...

      Delete
  2. When I hired on back in 97, I was one of 24. We were secret agents for the company. Did things no one understood, put in hours no one saw. My territory was in four states and I managed it as if it were my own business.

    In 2010, that technology was replaced, and I became one of 200 or so... And the esprit de corps faded. No longer the go to guy, I was one of the group. Specialized skills eroded from disuse, and my attitude changed.

    I feel you... And I agree with Glen, corporations are different than companies. I still have "family" from the old company days, and they are special. But the constant noise floor of new hires with no family ties is corporate corrosion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I think your (and Ed's) point below is a large part of it. You lose the sense of closeness of - well family, if you want to put it that way. Yes, I understand that there can be sub cultures within any corporation, but it is not the same.

      You can also lose that element of personal ownership. Things can become more of a "job".

      Delete
  3. I was there once. I joined a partnership that felt like a family. We grew it from one small business to many large ones. One day it hit me that it was no longer a family and despite being part owner, I felt like I was just a cog in a large wheel with very little value. I cashed in my chips and went home to raise my kids up in a non-daycare environment. It was perhaps the hardest and most rewarding decision I ever made. When I made the decision nearly eight years back, I thought eventually I might go back or find another family. I haven't done that yet nor have I felt like looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the relationship aspect is one that I have thought of before with other companies - there are times where I look back and that "group" was perfect.

      You made the right decision, by the way. We were fortunate to be able to have The Ravishing Mrs. TB do that when they were young and even when they were older, work part time.

      I can easily see that if I got out, I would not find a great necessity to get back in. If nothing else, tired of building those relationships only to see them fall away.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:10 PM

    I think many of us feel indespensible to our places of employment. One of my Aunts, a long retired school teacher, would go to work while sick because she thought that the kids 'needed' her and that causing the school administrators trouble with finding a substitute was a bother.

    Fast forward to year of retirement, her last year. She felt pushed out, and could have taken the last 3 months off due to accumulated sick leave. But she didn't and lost all of that payed time off. She regrets that now - but its too late for regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - it is the old "Put your fist in a bucket of water then pull it out - that is how irreplaceable you are to a company." I realized long ago that a company will call forth all kinds of unrewarded effort that when the situation is reversed, they will let you go without a heartbeat.

      I think it is one of those things that you should always leave - if able - slightly before you think you should. To your point, I think you will not have those kind of regrets.

      Thanks for stopping by and thanks for posting!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!