Tuesday, September 08, 2020

A Little Bit Of Cooling

 We are having a go at mid-80's weather with a chance of rain over the bulk of the next two weeks.
This is a little unusual for us at this time of year,  as we are usually still in summer and all of it's heat laden glory:  the lawn threatening to give up the ghost after an entire summer of trying to keep it alive, the garden essentially finishing up but not yet cool enough to look towards Winter plantings, the heat and humidity still too much to think about doing all but the most necessary tasks.
And now, maybe, we have a go at Autumn?
The different between 100 F and 87 F  (37 C and 30 C) is, on one hand, not all that significant if you are out in it:  honestly for me, I start noticing a "difference" around 80 F (27 C) or so - although to be fair, the heat will help to drop the humidity some.  The rain, or at least the chance of it, will overall help with the water situation as well, if only in my head.
I do not expect that it will hold, of course:  we always seem to go through some sort of slight cooling before the temperature bumps back up to go through the beginning of October.  And the greatest sign of Autumn to me, the sunlight, has not yet turned to that indefinable quality that lets me know that Autumn has come. Still, something is better than nothing.
How is the weather where you are?

10 comments:

  1. +3C here this morning. Should have frost in the next week or two. Have you pulled your gardens out yet TB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Glen! That accelerated quickly from what seems like last week in your post that Autumn was starting.

      The parts of the garden that are still growing will continue to produce until the first cold snap - that can be as late as November, if you can believe it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:17 AM

    Still very hot, but it is possible a cool wave will make it into south Texas by Thursday and cool day time high temps to the 80's. Major relief, but would only last about a day or two before it rises back way up there. Very sick of summer - bring on winter sez I !! :^)

    We are working on infestation of plants in our pastures, which makes the cooling so welcome. Injuries to my Wife the past two years slowed down the previous work, but we're paying for it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathize. I am surprised how "tired" of summer I can get.

      I know that in Old Home, unless we keep up with the blackberries and star thistle, they will edge everything else out. Hope you are able to make progress!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I can tell I live a fair bit north of you. This morning was 54 F and the high is forecast for 55 F. I would be excited at this turn of events if it weren't raining outside too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain puts a damper on everything except, of course, if you can stay inside and watch it.

      I am hopeful this break in the weather holds.

      Delete
  4. Philly cooled off enough in the evening that we could turn off the AC sleep with the windows open.
    Nighttime low of 63 was very nice.
    But we are back on the upswing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, my impression of Philadelphia is humid and hot during this time of year, but maybe not so hot as here.

      Being able to open the windows is nice. Sadly, unlike Old Home, the humidity does not drop to the point where opening a window is a possibility.

      Delete
  5. Mostly wet and windy here, and for all of the summer. We don't mind, it is much more acceptable to us than the temperatures of our farm in SW France the summer. I am looking forward to Autumn here in Shropshire, and already there is the first sign of nature slowing down ready for the winter and the colours of the landscape are changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera, I cannot tell you how lovely that sounds to me right now. Our summers here are unrelenting.

      Odd fact: One of the few poems I have completely memorized is Loveliest of Trees from A.E. Housman in A Shropshire Lad, which is my complete vision of the place, although I doubt many cherry trees this time of year.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!