Thursday, September 24, 2020

How To Remake Professional Sports

 I am not the target market for professional sports.

I have not been for years really, at least since the early 2000's when we moved away from the nearby National Hockey League and I realized that three hours to sit and watch a game on television was a bit of an investment in time that I was not willing to make.  Thus, most of the storm which has erupted in professional sports in the U.S. (and we seem to be the one with the problem) has passed over my head except as a point of discussion on the various sites that I follow.

That said, I know and have known many people for whom professional sports is a major form of entertainment.  I am also more than cognizant of the fact that professional sports is an economic driver for many people - bar owners, ticket takers, local restaurants and hotels - that are in no wise privy to the exceptionally ridiculous salaries that professional athletes command.  

Therefore, in the spirit of preserving an economic engine (which I derive no value from, by the way) I submit the following suggestions in the hopes that Professional Sports can heal itself:

1)  Eliminate All Mascots And Team Mascot Names - This is beyond the current sense of cancel culture that some mascots need to be "removed".  In point of fact, mascots add nothing to the execution of the sport.  They are, inevitably, cartoonish sort of characters, created really to generate identification with a team (and thus, sales of merchandise).

So eliminate them.  Move to what other parts of the world do.  Call them by the city name - The Georgetown Football Team, The Germanville Baseball Team, The Mesa Verde United Hockey Team. 

No need to cancel anything.  No need to spend money on expensive printing of jerseys with characters.  And no distractions from the actual sport. If people can no longer dress up as the sports mascot of their choice, well, that is a cost I am willing to bear.

2)  Eliminate Names on Jerseys  - Hurling, the Irish National Sport which goes back at least 2500 years and is still played today, has a practice that I recently learned about:  there are no names on jerseys and the player numbers are issued by the position the play.  It has been referred to as the humblest of sports.

Think of this:  An entire playing field of your sport of choice, where every player is un-named and you know the positions by the numbers.  Again, the focus comes on the sport, not on the individuals (which is really the point of the team, is it not?).

Mind you, no player's union will ever willing go for this. After all, this (they will argue) will remove the attention from the accomplishments of the individuals (and thus, the high salaries of some, by the way).  

But - and this is always my question - why are you playing?  If it is for love the game, it should not matter. If, on the other hand, it for the love of money and attention to self, just declare it.

3)  Eliminate All Things Not Pertaining To The Game - As you may have heard (and as you may know, we do not discuss here) - professional sports of late has taken to a certain set of support and actions.  To be clear, this is not the first time that professional sports has done so - they have also supported such things as Breast Cancer Awareness, The Military, and other organizations.

My proposal:  Eliminate everything.  Eliminate singing of all national anthems (which, by the way, have nothing to do with the game, much as I love our national anthem).  Eliminate any and all support of anything which does not directly impact the sport on the field of play - no support of any cause no matter what the nature of it.  Players enter the field, warm up, and play.  

I know.  This will create all sorts of angst.  "Freedom of Speech" is what some will say, "Nonsupportive Nationals" others will say.  

But let us be clear.  The point of professional athletes are to provide a service - entertainment - much as my job is to make sure projects move forward.  My company does not care or require that I stand at the national anthem every morning or plaster a sticker supporting something on my shirt.  They care that I do my job - and that my personal beliefs do not get in the way of that. The same is no less true of athletes.

And besides, they will then be - like the rest of us - free to do all of that in their free time.

4) Continue To Ban Fans - Having traveled to The Ranch lately and watched some professional sports with my father, the single biggest inanity of this current Plague is not the empty stadiums with their cardboard cutouts (which, to be fair, is silly but a clever fundraiser for good causes) but the fact that they are piping audience noises into the stadiums.  The spectacle of an empty stadium with fan sounds in it is both ridiculous and, at the same time, a lovely visual of image of the state of fantasy we seem to live so much of our life in.  It has also removed fan fights, fan candid shots, and fans showing bad, lewd, or just rude behavior.

So let us keep the fans out.  Generate revenue via viewing.

Yes, I understand this undermines my concern about the folks that are relying on sports to support them at the stadium - but my response would be (given The Plague) this appears to be a fait accompli in any case.  But this accomplishes two things.  

The first is, like everything else I have suggested, is that it focus the attention on the sport itself instead everything going on around it (and frankly, how many shots of fans dancing do I really want to see).

The second  - and this is part of the less generous side of me - is it points to professional sports being what it really is:  entertainment, nothing more. It displays professional sports as it really is:  passive watching of something no different than a movie or a television show or a martial arts demonstration.

Do you want to be involved in a sport?  Then go do the sport.  Get out there.  Engage.  Be active.  There are activities for (literally) every level of fitness and ability.  But participate, do not pretend that sitting and watching is the same as doing the sport itself.

Personally, I have no dog in this fight: professional sports are as much a foreign country to me as Nepal and am as likely to go there as I am to become a fan again.  But if professional sports wants to survive in the long run (and I firmly believe there will be a financial reckoning soon), they might be advised to reconsider their model.



12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:23 AM

    I like where your comments are headed. Like you, I don't really follow sports that much but my coworkers do. Much of their talk concerns the players personal lives, what was said or what was done. Why does it matter so much that so-n-so has three houses located where and furnished by blah blah blah. A quarterback left a team for another and a former fan becomes the opposite. All for a team located half way across the country and have no idea that fan even exists. Its all about the Benjamins and conspicuous consumption.

    We are too pre-occupied with other people's lives. Aren't our own lives interesting ? If not, change that.

    You last comment about participating in that sport makes a lot of sense. You may not be able to bowl strikes like so-n-so, but you can get out there and have just as much fun and learn techniques for self improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I have never really understood that line of thinking myself: at worst it is a clear demonstration of envy, at best it is no more interesting to me than where movie stars live or their next film. And yes, the connection with the fans runs no farther than the dollars spent. Professional sports has become very much an industry like any other: a performance based, project based group. There is - literally - no team loyalty to the fans.

      I would suspect - and this may be good writing fodder -that in point of fact we are now so interested in the lives of others because we perceive our lives to be boring or we are simply not happy with them. Once upon a time, before mass media, we were forced to find something to do. Now, that is not a necessity.

      If you approach anything as a learning experience and not completely as a "I must win or I will never do it", life can become an amazing series of adventures.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. #2, isn't that what Joe Paterno did? Plain jerseys with numbers only? I believe he did it to promote working together as a team, and I would think his record pretty much speaks to that.

    What I find curious, is that team owners and investors don't see to care that this trend is tanking the sports industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that Leigh - but apparently it has precedent in another sport, which I did not know until recently.

      It would promote working together as a team - after all, there is absolutely no ego involved if no-one one knows who you are.

      I suppose I do not find it so curious in that the team owners and investors are counting on a combination of the The Plague and people's general forgetfulness to drive demand. I wonder if it is different this time: we spent 6 months without such sports and people got out of the habit. Now, they would have to get back into the habit - except that they have likely found other things to do with the time.

      Delete
  3. Professional sport is a grift first and foremost. Second, it is a deadly serious profit driven industry. There is serious money and power here, and nobody wants to share.

    The fans are the second problem. They need something to tie their identity to. They need to feel as they belong and are a part of it. They want the politics, the soap operas and scandals. Back when newspapers were still a thing, the sports pages were pretty much the same as the celebrity gossip columns. There was always some idiot getting busted for drugs, cheating on his wife, or punching out his girlfriend.

    It’s bread and circuses, TB. As you note, guys like us are not the market. The differences between professional sport, the drug trade, and prostitution are purely conversational. It is no small coincidence that players in one of those markets frequently play in the others. We are too smart to dabble in those either. Cleaning up professional sport? One may as well talk about cleaning up the drug and prostitution trades too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I do not think it was always that way - I mean, way back in the beginning, before you and I were alive. But agreed that it is completely about profit now.

      A good point I had not thought of - thanks! - is the fans: not just as supporting it financially, but as having to tie their identity to it. How many people personally have I known whose world revolves around this sports team or that. Good heavens - we have entire radio and TV networks devoted to it.

      It is bread and circuses, and your comparisons seem apt - interestingly we will tolerate effectively criminal behavior in this one area where we will not almost anywhere else.

      Perhaps the whole thing is not salvageable - even if they implemented everything I have suggested, neither the players nor the fans nor the surrounding industry would go for it. Still, I would like to at least be able to say "I gave you some ideas that you did nothing with".

      Delete
  4. Until the mid-60's, professional baseball players earned around twice what the average Joe earned. Look at them now. I say, pay 'em what they're worth...

    Personally, I find it darkly laughable that people who make as much as professional athletes do can "take a knee," claiming they're "oppressed..." If they were truthful, they'd admit that "systemic racism" got them to where they are today. Two students vie for football scholarship. One's white and the other's black. Guess which one's going to get the full ride...

    "...to sit and watch a game on television was a bit of an investment in time that I was not willing to make." That's a polite way to say "It's a complete waste of time." That's right where I am with "professional sports." If I'm going to engage in sports, I'm going to be a player; not a spectator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, that is what a sort of recollect as well - and even in some cases, they worked second jobs along with playing sports.

      Were it up to me, I would like to see something similar to Minor League pay: enough to pay for a living doing something you love (how many of us can say that!), but not much more than that. Think of the literally millions of dollars that could be more productively allocated than to professional sports.

      Delete
  5. Like you, I don't have a dog in this fight either. Recently I have heard a report somewhere about what professional sports is going to do to attract the young folks because apparently, that generation doesn't care about sports as a whole. The worry is that they won't come out to fill stadiums and buy pricey jerseys and the teams will go bankrupt. My thought is that perhaps this young generation has some redeeming qualities after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I do believe that to be a problem as well - some of the popularity Football has enjoyed for years is the fact that so many people were in to Fantasy Football. I suspect that if that fantasy interest had waned in general, we would be seeing lower ratings than we do.

      I still think we might: as you point out, the generation that was committed to these things is aging out and the younger generation either has little interest or insufficient income to afford to go to a professional sporting event. An over generalization might be that the rise of electronic gaming and E-sports might eventually crash the system. Either way, professional sports has a long term problem which they certainly seem to be doing little if anything to address.

      Delete
  6. I used to enjoy college football; we'll see what happens when the Big10 starts to play. I'm sure not going to be happy if it's political. As far as the fake fans, complete with crowd noise, keep it up and someone will figure out how to make fake players too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbrgirl, my suspicion is that college sports will reflect the larger professional world because that is who they model themselves after and what the are striving to be. That said, universities are going to have their own set of issues if The Plague does not let up as funding is going to start drying up. It has already started; I suspect it will be a trend.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!