Monday, September 21, 2020

Clearing My Personal Skies

It was a good week to be at home.

They are almost all good weeks to be at home, of course - maybe this one a little less immediately so than others due to smoke from the fires, but by the time we left on Saturday morning the smoke had largely cleared out and the sky was looking - and feeling - more like the arrival of Autumn was at hand.

Going up there now more regularly has begun to more and more develop the evident split between where I am now and there.  Here there is the inevitable traffic noises and people noises; there it is still the wind in the trees, the occasional dog bark and cow lowing, and trees filled with singing birds and woodpeckers about their business of chasing down grubs.

Partially because of the fact I only take my work computer, my following of daily events becomes a lot less regular (as, perhaps, the quality of my posts, for which I do apologize.  I need to find my new rhythm) and so a great deal of the ongoing rush of everything passes me by.  And not just media overall - even something as humble as the car radio is no longer heard as I am driving almost nowhere.  In an interesting - and very real sense - I spend the bulk of a week in a sort of bubble.

It is glorious.  

Glorious in the sense that it allows one time to think. To walk the trails unencumbered by the seeming minutiae of the day - or perhaps, encumbered by the thoughts that underlie the seeming minutiae that encumbers us, those base and principle foundational thoughts that I keep saying I would like to spend time on, but find myself always too distracted to spend the time on.

In a rather stunning way, it reflected the skies that slowly began clearing from the smoke while we were there:



It only takes the deprivation of the source of the smoke and the wind to clear everything away.


8 comments:

  1. There's just something about spending time with the natural creation that is grounding, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. "Glorious" is a good word to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it almost sounded too grandiose a term when I first used it - but yes, all of what you said. That is exactly it.

      Delete
  2. I've been spending time in a bubble for nearly four decades in the form of a family cabin in the woods south of here. Long before it became fashionable this year. I love being out of communication and "newsification" and just letting the world pass me by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is more or less the goal. It is just a matter of how quickly I can get there. I have already done some math and given things a little thought and in fact I could do quite well without being knowledgeable about the outside world (except, as Glen always points out, to know what is being planned).

      Delete
  3. You are now where we were in 2008, driving back and forth to the farm before retirement in 2012. Your posts are fine. you let us know you're doing well and that's enough.
    Glad home was limited to smoke.
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda!

      I think that is going to be the way of it for a little while. At least this is a marked improvement from where we were.

      Delete
  4. After I left I could never go home again. I don't know if it was me or them that changed. Maybe it was both. If home still exists for you, TB... maybe that is where you should be.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a thought Glen. True, the overall location (in terms of a number of things that are not immediately relevant to my life) are not ideal, but it is home to me.

      And maybe, some things want changing...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!