Monday, September 28, 2020

How I End Up With Varied Interests And Many Books

 Sometimes I think people wonder how it is I end up collecting so many interests (and indirectly, so many books).  A recent example might give a hint of my dilemma.

At Chason du Depart, OldAFSarge has been writing a very gripping series on D-Day and the Allied invasion of Europe.  (Really.  He is an excellent writer.  You should go over there and catch up on the latest entry.  I can wait....Done?  Great. We will carry on.).  Reading his series renewed a very old interest I had in World War II - 40 years ago or more.  

As I was thinking about this, suddenly I remembered that I saw (in my local used book store) a book by Heinz Guderian called Achtung - Panzer, which is a discussion of the development of the tank as a weapon of war and the proposed use of it in war (Guderian was the architect of the invasion of France in 1940).  So I decide I need to read that (review here). 

Reading this, I am suddenly reminded of another book I have on Erwin Rommel and his career:  Rommel:  Leadership Lessons from The Desert Fox.  It has been a while since I read this, so I pick this up again (worth your time, if so inclined).

But wait!  Both Guderian and Rommel have addition works:  Panzer Leader by Guderian and Infantry Attacks by Rommel. So both of these are now added to the used book list, to be ordered and read at a future date.

So I am sure you can appreciate my sad situation:  from a set of blog entries, I have become compelled to purchase three books for additional research and review (or, just because I am interested).

On the whole, I think this just proves I was actually Wikipedia before Wikipedia was a thing...

6 comments:

  1. Your process is much like mine. I find a subject I am interested in and buy several books and I may read one or two with the remainder going to my "rainy day" bookshelf. My problem is the rainy day bookshelf now contains enough reading material to last me a decade if I don't buy another book in that time frame.

    Another problem I have is that I have too many reading projects. Years ago I started reading NG 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time and probably am down to 16 or so left, all of those out of print and a challenge to find. I also started down the path of reading a biography on every president in order and made it to I think James Monroe and stalled out. I'm pretty sure I have biographies on my rainy day shelf through Lincoln. I also have a pile of special interest books that I would like to read thoroughly to learn a new skill such as guitar making and boat building. I've done some of the latter but there is much more room for improvement.

    In a perfect world, reading time would pause the clock so that life doesn't keep passing me by with my nose in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - We share versions of the same issue. One thing that has helped me lately is that with the travel, I can "save" up new books in flight (when I have no other disturbances). To minimize my desire to purchase even more, I am rationing myself to read books I already own.

      The other thing I have been doing is making sure that every book I purchase or want to purchase (ideally the latter) goes on to a list so I can look at it and decide if I really need it. I Have found this helpful to get over some of my initial "I must have it" and also manage my reading list in terms of subjects (which I am tending to think more about, honestly, grouping the knowledge increase or new learning into buckets.

      Delete
  2. https://archive.org/details/infantryattacks00erwi/mode/2up

    Erwin Rommels book "Infantry Attacks" free on archive.org.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee Man - Thanks for the link! I will give it a look. That said, I tend to be a physical copy guy - for some reason on-line reading never feels quite the same.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. hehe..I love the wiki line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EGB, I have the attention span of a dog watching squirrels run around in the yard...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!