Thursday, September 03, 2020

The Collapse LIII: Economics Of A Collapse


December 11 20XX

My Dear Lucilius:

It is odd – for many years I told others that if I was given my choice of careers that I would truly love to do, my choice would be to live somewhere isolated, have a very simple lifestyle, and think great thoughts. I now find that in fact I have that simple lifestyle in an isolated locale; whether the thoughts are great or not remains for others to judge.

It strikes me that in all of my thinking and preparing and (may we use the term) plotting, I do not know that I quite imagined the collapse of a society to occur in this particular fashion. History perhaps rhymed in this case, as the saying goes, but only the sort of rhyme that one has to explain to everyone so that they might understand where it happened – which is the least effective sort of rhyme, much as the joke one constantly must explain to demonstrate the humor.

I can see some author preparing to write his overview based on the theory: a long economic decline, a collapsing currency, then suddenly collapsing supply lines, a collapsed currency, and a collapsed economy which causes a collapsed society. He would probably sit there, look at his output, then tears it up and start over with either the Undead, a Plague, or Aliens.

There is something quite pedestrian – if one can use the term to describe the suffering, death, and disaster that is going on out there beyond my sight – about a simple economic collapse. There are no great battles. There are no heroes. There are, perhaps, speeches given that perhaps are worthy of recollection, but they are the speeches of experts with figures and graphs, not the sort of thing to fire men’s blood to action.

And to use the analogy, the frog in the pot boils very slowly indeed. Most may notice that somehow the prices on everything they buy are increasing and quantity and quality may be decreasing but it is never quite enough for anyone to truly complain about or take action on. Salaries are being consumed more and more by fewer and fewer items – a place to live, utilities, transportation, food – but the people and the government themselves never ask after why this is, only make a few noises perhaps about the greed of a few and pass a few laws to make everyone feel that they have done something.

I lived through this economic situation as did you, Lucilius. We both saw and endured the same things. Perhaps the more meaningful question is “Could something different have been done?”

I have given this a great deal of thought. I think the answer is no.

Think of what the alternative would have been. To re-establish the economic foundations, it would have required a multi-prong approach. Government spending at all levels would have had to be cut, taxes would have had to be increased – in both cases to significantly decrease the national debt. Local economies - “making things, growing things, harvesting things (mining, forestry and so on)”
would have had to be encouraged. Those intangible economics – services, technology – would have had to be encouraged as internal developments, not things to be spun out to the world to return here in their finished, most expensive form. We would have had to be willing to pay higher prices for both goods and services that employed our fellow citizens as well as ensured that at some level, the world came to us instead of us going to the world. We would have had to celebrate attitudes and characteristics that have been long set aside: frugality, hard work, success, the concept that those that worked hard should be able to keep the bulk of their success instead of having to surrender it to the government for its own desires. Government would need to be seen for the net consumer of resources it is instead of a net generator of revenue. 

 And finally, our currency would have had to become “worth” something again, however that might be established – by making “full faith and credit” mean something again by building a surplus not a deficit, or by simply tying the currency to some sort of actual value instead of a theoretical construct of value, or some third means of making it valuable that only economists truly understand but which demonstrates the fact that currency means value, not promises.

You and I know the outcome to this, of course. There was no will to do any of these things, just the will to continue to push the problem down the road: accept increased prices, increased spending, increased taxes, increased borrowing, decreased wages – until all of a sudden like a major infection of the human body, the system was just overwhelmed all at once.

To be completely honest with you, I think I would have preferred the Aliens more.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

14 comments:

  1. Our countries are committing cultural, political, financial and moral suicide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, William Lind - the author I reviewed with his book Retroculture - made the startling statement that the West effectively committed suicide with the outbreak of World War I. I have not given myself the time to think on this more deeply, but I wonder if at some level there is a kernel of truth to this. Just in body count alone, millions were lost who could have been involved in building civilization instead of tearing it down.

      Delete
    2. Glenfilthie3:21 PM

      The big brains are fond of doing that; I’ve heard some say the slide started even earlier, in the early 1800’s. You have to be right on top of your history to make and follow those ideas... so that lets me out right there too.

      Good intentions just seem to come with some seriously bad consequences...

      Delete
    3. I had not considered the idea of a nation state committing suicide voluntary. I need to give this more thought.

      Delete
  2. I don't think our country will suffer suicide. Here is my optimism showing through. Suicide implies that it will be the end of our country and our country will here longer than that. However, I do envision a period of time much like what Greece has gone through in modern times where we have lots of austerity measures in place and wailing and gnashing of teeth. I wish it wouldn't come to that but like you, I'm not optimistic we will or can change under our current political system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suicide is melodramatic... but it IS going to change. Much for the worse, if certain issues aren’t faced and dealt with...

      Delete
    2. Ed, I suppose it depends on what one defines as national suicide. Did Imperial Russia effcctively commit suicide? Or Imperial Germany? Or (in a less dramatic way) is the United Kingdom effectively doing the same in devolution.

      I wonder about austerity measures. There is no way this country will take a swing at actual austerity measures, just because most of the spending is non-discretionary per the budget and therefore will set off one group or another. That leaves raising taxes, which will work - as long as those being taxed are neither the uber wealthy (who will avoid it) or the poor (who will march). The shrinking middle class will bear yet another burden.

      Delete
    3. Glen, I guess the fact that none of us are discussing that things will change but the nature of the change should be concerning.

      Delete
    4. Point well taken. I'm not sure how I would classify Imperial Russia or Germany but they certainly are totally different countries today.

      I agree that I don't think we (as a country) will willing undergo austerity measures. If my mind anyway, we will be forced into them when we can't borrow money anymore from foreign countries to fund our spending habits. Although I haven't studied Greece's fall into austerity measures, I'm assuming that is the way it happened for them as well.

      Delete
    5. Ed, that is my understanding of the Greek situation as well: in order for them to borrow more money, they had to agree to rather significant austerity measures. They were not at all popular.

      Delete
  3. No, we're never willing to do what it takes and then it's too late. At least not the ones who seem to have the power to do so. Too busy squabbling, and I wonder if they really understand what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I wonder if they do as well. I like to think that they do - after all, they have access to so much information than we do - but I wonder if the addiction to power and wanting to be liked and re-elected means you are unwilling to do what needs to be done.

      Delete
  4. interesting post. Yes, as a Canadian we have been pouring millions into social assitance to help mitigate collapses...but this to me is the biggest part of the problem as people take advantage of the system and drive government into debt further. I don't know what I am more afraid of..a monetary collapse or the fabric of society becomeing so frayed it tears itself apart...glad to be away from big cities! I am sure you have read it but 'Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed' is an intereting read. SO is 'guns, germs and steel', an earlier book of his ( Jared Diamond ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EGB, I have read excerpts but not the full texts - partially, I suppose, that I am afraid of having my pre-existing biases confirmed about our state.

      Social assistance is a two edged sword: it can be help but it can also become a means of living, which over time erodes any number of things. The concern about such programs suddenly being bankrupt and creating chaos is all too real, I fear.

      The other part - never sufficiently explained to me - is that over time, the programs seem to expand while being funded by a smaller and smaller base. Ultimately you end up either with complete chaos or a two tier social system unless it is carefully managed. And I have yet to see a system so managed.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!