Saturday, March 09, 2019

A Few Word From...Masanobu Fukuoka

"I tell the young people up in my orchard again and again not to try to imitate me, and it really angers me if there is someone who does not try to take this advice to heart.  I ask, instead, that they simply live in nature and apply themselves to their daily work.  No, there is nothing special about me, but what I have glimpsed is vastly important."

"An object seen in isolation from the whole is not the real thing."

"I probably know more about what can go wrong growing agricultural crops than anyone else in Japan."

"You might say that, rather than growing citrus and vegetables  up here, I have been helping to restore the fertility of the soil."

"Before researchers become researchers they should become philosophers.  They should consider what the human goal is, what it is that humanity should create."

"When a decision is made to cope with the symptoms of a problem, it is generally assumed that the corrective measures will solve the problem itself.  They seldom do."

"If natural food is to become widely popular, it must available locally at a reasonable price."

"The world used to be simple.  You merely notice in passing that you got wet by brushing against the drops of dew while meandering through the meadow.  But from the time  people undertook to explain this one drop of dew scientifically, they trapped themselves in the endless hell of the intellect."

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation of human beings."

- The One-Straw Revolution

8 comments:

  1. Masanobu Fukuoka is one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for a video to upload on YouTube, so while I waited I thought I would investigate Masanobu Fukuoaka on YT as well. I had never heard of him. And what an interesting man he is, and how lovely it would be to follow his principles, and to read his book. I am sure that I would learn a lot. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh - He is one of mine too. He is one of those authors that the more you read him, the more you find in his books.

    They are a little pricey on Amazon, but I need to get some of his other ones. He really is inspirational - and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda - I enjoy his work very much. In some ways he did what I am exactly trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh very, I am so very glad I could introduce him to you. I think if you read One Straw Revolution you would find you and he have much in common. (He and I seem to as well).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a link to this guy that you can provide TB?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glen, here is the Wikipedia listing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka

    Look on Amazon. His books are well worth your time and money.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!