Monday, March 16, 2015

Off to Throw - Results

So how did I do in throwing this weekend?

A lot better than I expected.  I got two PRs - one in Heavy Weight for Distance (18' 6", previous record 18' 4") and a giant one in Light Weight for Distance (30' even, previous record 28' 3").  I also got three moral victories - a throw of 20' 6" on a Braemar with my record being 20' 7" on a much smaller Braemar, 2 picks and pulls on a 15' 9" caber for 20 degrees and 34 degrees which completely confounded me a month ago, and shooting for a 20' sheaf and getting close to 18' (my record is 16', so I was trying for 25% above what I have done before).  Open Stone was consistent, and Weight Above Bar - well, I got a mark but the less said about that the better.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend - got to see a ton of people that I like and be useful in helping.  I also got the privilege - once again - of actually being part of something much grander than myself.

The best moment for me occurred during throwing on Sunday, when, as I was making a trip to the bathroom, a young woman caught my eye and said "You guys are really cool".  I thanked her.

Be thanked for being a Heavy Athlete - good heavens, for being an athlete at all - and bringing joy to others.  I never thought I would see the day.

6 comments:

  1. TB - it sounds like you had a brilliant time! Congratulations for all of your wins and for beating your previous records! i am really glad that you got a chance to get out and do something you love! again - congrats!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kymber! I am pretty gratified as well. It is amazing for not being an athlete how much I love this stuff!

    Lhiats, TB

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man you didn't offer to give the little chicky private lessons? Or show her whats under the kilt? Man you need to work on the other side of the highand games :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough, Highland Games are the one place where people never ask what you are wearing underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've spectated at highland games the once, very enjoyable indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is John - and I can tell that at least here in the States (and what from friends tell me, around the world) you will not find a better group of individuals to spend a day with - in fact, I think that is the reason a lot of us compete: as much to spend time with each other as to challenge ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!