Thursday, March 26, 2015

Wind and Prayer and Church

The wind was blowing heavily when I woke up this morning, raking through the trees and creating a rushing sound as it blows through the streets and over houses.  It reminded me to simply sit before God.

My prayer life is not what I want it to be or what it needs to be.  It staggers back and forth between a rote series of requests that I make or a semi-conscious attempt to stay awake as I stumble over the things that I think I should be praying about.

The wind this morning reminded me I should simply sit before God.

And so I sat.  I would love to report that the experience was such that I had a profound religious awakening, that the presence of God was deeply felt as I simply sat before Him and waited.   Alas, the opposite was true:  I struggle both to not pray rotely and to simply stay awake.

It did reveal one thing to me as I sat there though:  how truly distant I find myself to be from God.

I feel it in my soul. It haunts me as I go about my day.  I have seldom felt farther from God than I do on a daily basis right now.   Why?  Legitimate question.

I have felt for some time a growing disconnection with my church.  Part of it, I suppose, is simply that church is a greater struggle than it was in the past:  older children often mean more activities on the weekend.  But what I have found is that even when I go, I have no real sense of going to meet God or even being fed by His Word.

In a lot of ways this is the least I have been involved in a church life - I go on Sundays.  That is all.  I do not really do anything else with the church - part of this is due my schedule (I cannot do most meetings due to work and taxing Na Clan), and part of this - frankly - is tied up in an unfortunate incident where the involvement I was doing was terminated with no explanation.  This is a great change from where I - and indeed, my family - was six years ago when we moved where we were heavily involved not only in church on Sunday's but church throughout the week.

But that is what changed.  What needs to change?

A new church? Probably, for the sake of myself if no other.  This attendance because I have to and no other reason is making church a great deal like work, with all of the attendant issues of resentment and disconnection I have with my current career choice.  And that is certainly not the point of church - it is to become involved in a community and to worship God and live out the Gospel.

And my internal life, my prayer life?  Alas, no easy answer here.  A simple thought to "Prayer More and Harder"  does not change the facts.  There is something here, some impediement or block, that is keeping me from speaking to and hearing from God as I need to.

The wind is undoing all of the work I spent in the yard two days ago raking up leaves - this I know without sticking my head outside of the door.  Would that God's Spirit would do the same in my own life, stirring the dust that lies over my soul.

2 comments:

  1. Hi TB,
    I do not usually comment on posts concerning religion or faith. Each of us has our own beliefs and this I respect and would never condemn another for their own beliefs.

    But I wonder if you're 'doubting of faith' is also to do with being unsettled in your life at the moment? From what I glean of people they only question their respective faiths, gods or idols when all is not well in their lives and feel the need for answers. I do not have a belief in deities nor faith in a higher being, although I try to be open minded about such things, and perhaps because I only question myself when life tumbles is the reason depression has been able to hold me in its taloned grasp?
    Forgive me if my comments are off the mark or seem disrespectful as no harm is intended.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - No disrespect indicated or given and no harm done. I have stated before that I only ever will post about religion in the sense of my own religious struggles and successes.

    You make a good point - we tend to question most when we understand the least or feel the least able to manage events in our lives (at least, I think). I think that mine is partially rooted in that; however, I also suspect it is partially rooted in the fact that I do not feel myself growing or rooted where we are right now. If I am not growing or rooted, this tends to be a problem.

    It's interesting (to me, at least) that this dullness reeks not of depression (with which I am well familiar) but rather with a certain deadness about it - not a placidity but rather a stillness that no stone can ruffle.

    Lhiats, TB

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!