Wednesday, June 10, 2026

2025 Cambodia And Vietnam: Ta Prohm (IV)

 Walking through this temple then and looking at these pictures now, I am minded of the brevity of life.



Thousands doubtless laboured to build this place.  Thousands lived here, worked here, played here, schemed here.  The vastness of human emotions and experience was live out in this place.




Now, there is nothing but the silent fallen stone, which speaks not at all of what it has seen, and the trees that have overgrown it, late comers that did not know the temple and its inhabitants in their glory.




Hundreds of years hence, will this be our own legacy too?




4 comments:

  1. Nylon126:37 AM

    A bit more pessimistic TB, what with the millions of lives lost last century to the "isms".....Marxism, Communism, Fascism, our ruins will need a Geiger counter to explore safely amongst them.....:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, humans left to themselves do not seem to have a promising future. No matter what we build, we always tear it down in the end.

      Delete
  2. The carvings seem to be much less worn that what we've seen previously. So nice to see the detail.

    Our legacy? With things not made to last nowadays, I am doubtful that our legacy will be much better than a trash dump. I know that sounds pessimistic, but I can't see much remaining standing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, one nice thing about the Angkor complex is that it has not been subjected to air pollution, which is helpful. I also wonder if simply this complex was never hit as hard as some others.

      Given our disposable and throwaway culture, I agree with you. Other than plastics (which take a very long time to degrade), we will leave very little.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!