View of the outer wall:
Walking through one of the libraries:
The outer edge of the temple complex:
Entering the main complex:
Angkor Wat is the home of some of the greatest (and longest) collections of bas relief in the world. This sequence (308 ft/94 m) memorializes King Suryavarman II in a military parade:
An officer on an elephant:
Over three hundred feet! Wonder how long it took for that to be completed TB. Finally decided to do more reading on this site, most interesting.
ReplyDeleteCrazily Nylon12, we sort of know that. About 37 years; after the death of King Suryavarman II, work stopped (although the temple was used for centuries afterwards).
DeleteI shall put this on my reading list as well (finally!) Thanks, TB and Nylon12.
ReplyDeleteAnon - It is well worth reading about. One of the most spectacular human constructed places I have been.
DeleteThat's a lot of stone carving! I wouldn't have the patience, but I'm glad people do have it. Stone is a medium that probably lasts longer than things like painting.
ReplyDeleteLeigh, the amount of craftsman you would have to have available to do this kind of work seems incredible to my modern mind, but that was the medium back in the day and I bet they were around.
Delete