Saturday, July 06, 2024

Operation Rabbit Transport

 Friends - As you read this missive I find myself preparing to return from  New Home to New Home 2.0, mostly for the purpose of transporting the rabbits.

The transport of the rabbits has been the heaviest thing on my mind about this whole move (Yes, I know:  relocation, a new job, moving things - and this is your concern?).  Rabbits are not as easy to move as dogs or cats, for example.  Most airlines will not take them, which leaves the option of either driving them yourself or paying rather hefty fee for relocation of said bunnies.  And rabbits can be sensitive to environmental changes.  

It has created a rather large amount of stress in my life.  But the rabbits need to come out to be with me long term.  And where there is a will, there is a way.

I had toyed with the idea of ground transport, but both our veterinarian and the rabbit shelter director said that driving would be equally or even more stressful than a four hour plane flight.  And it turns out that while most airlines will not take rabbits, two still will:  Alaska Airlines and Spirit Airlines (go figure).  Alaska flies to where we are - a direct flight, as it turns out.  They can fly in the cabin under the seat in soft sided carriers (extra fees apply of course - but that is, interestingly, reimbursable).

The cages, litters, hay and food all came out with the moves.  A portable air conditioner has been procured to make sure the rabbits are cool enough (rabbits do not do well over 80 F or so).  The litter boxes, food dishes, water bottles, and snacks are in New Home.  

Today, we bring it all together.

If all goes well - and I am sincerely hoping it will - in the late afternoon we will place the rabbits in their soft carriers, empty and clean the litterboxes and pack them in garbage bags in a suitcase, empty the food and water bowls and put them in the suitcase, pack up the snacks and medication, and drive to the airport.  After getting through security (the rabbits will have to come out of their carriers - that should be "exciting" ) we will quietly sit in the lounge until boarding.  The Ravishing Mrs. TB very kindly upgraded our seats so we can get on earlier and have a bit more space.  If all goes well, 4.5 or so hours later we should land at New Home 2.0, where we will go to the parked car, drive back to the apartment, and ensconce the rabbits in their new home.  And then go to bed.

At least, that is the plan.

I keep comforting myself with the idea that the whole operation will take less than eight hours.  And while one cannot medicate rabbits the same way one can medicate dogs or cats (they are pretty sensitive to medication), one can give them things like lettuce to encourage them to chew and help with the air pressure.

I do not know that this rises to the level of a prayer request, but good thoughts would always be appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Nylon127:07 AM

    Well, this post increased my knowledge base on rabbits (oh to say wascally wabbits!). Hope they appreciate all the effort you're going through to relocate them. Good luck TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, Rabbits are actually great house pets (monitored, of course; they can be destructive if left to their own devices). No idea if they understand what is being done on their behalf, but they do seem happy to see me.

      Delete
  2. I could wish on my lucky rabbit foot I had as a kid but that might be in bad form. So I just offer my well wishes that everything goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the well wishes, Ed. We will cover it by wishing on the rabbits in general for good luck.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Good wishes on your rabbit trip.

    Glad you found a apartment that allows rabbits.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael!

      Honestly, I was a little shocked by how hard it was to find an airline that would let them in the cabin. Dogs and cats do not have the same restrictions and (within size limits) can find a place on almost any airline. Not so rabbits (or really, any other kind of small mammal). It is a bit surprising, as those animals are usually in carriers and in some cases (rabbits) very quiet.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Having had house rabbits that were "family", I can sympathize with your concerns for them. Yes, they are indeed rather fragile, and I am heartened that you are affording them the special care that they will need for this stressful journey. They are indeed blessed to have someone like you who will care for them like this! Prayers being said for the little ones to do well in the transport and thrive at their new home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon. As indicated, this is by far the most stressful part of the entire move. I am heartened by the fact that other people have done this with no issues. Hopefully it will be a quick and trouble free journey.

      Outside of the actual trip, my biggest concern is getting through security, just because I will have to take them out of the carriers so they can be scanned. Hopefully this will be novel enough of an experience for all that it will go quickly.

      Delete
  5. Hope all went well, TB. I don't know why the rabbits couldn't be scanned in the carriers (or why they need to be, honestly); carry on bags are scanned.
    I am not surprised about Alaskan Airlines. They transport all manner of creatures from the Lower 48 to Alaska.
    By the time you get my reply, hopefully all will be happily settled.
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! We have not left yet; will be going in about an hour.

      I assume it is something to do with liability. That said, it does seem a bit odd.

      Delete
    2. Praying for a safe trip, TB. God bless.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Linda! We arrived safely and things seem to be going okay. Update in tomorrow's post.

      Delete
  6. Hope & pray that all went well, TB! Safe travels for all involved.
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hobo! So far so good - we arrived late last night and the rabbits seem to be responding okay.

      Delete
  7. Hopping all goes/went well.
    I wish my brain voice would not read rabbits as wabbits.
    But I think Saturday morning cartoons many, many, years ago have burned that into my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, an education in Looney Tunes Sir. An education that the younger generation has sadly missed out on.

      Delete
  8. Well, coming in late, my good thoughts aren't needed, but this was an interesting read, TB. I've never wondered before how people transport pets, and I wouldn't have imagined that airlines don't fly rabbits. I wonder why. I also didn't know they don't travel well, regardless. Future me knows they're okay, so I'm glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, it was interesting to me as well that it so hard to get them transported in cabins. I assume it is due to some kind of liability issue.

      I will say that I have seen people that travel with their rabbits regularly with no issues; in one case I have known rabbits with passports (of all things). But at least from where I sit, it seems like a risk I do not want to have to take unless I have to.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!