Friday, July 26, 2024

LUV And The End Of Seat Choice

 It is not often that I comment on current events (as the articles tend to date pretty quickly), but something happened yesterday which is pretty significant, at least to me in the past few years:  Southwest Airlines (Ticker Code LUV) has announced the end to its open seating policy.

The announcement came yesterday as part of its 2nd Quarter 2024 financial results.  Instead of continuing the practice of open seating (whereby customers choose their seats as they board), they will move to what is the traditional airline model, assigned seating and the differentiation of seating (e.g., "premium seats" with slightly extra legroom and undoubtedly higher prices).  The change comes after 50 years of this policy, and is likely a response to a combination of a tough market and an activist investor group.  That I saw, no timing of the change has been announced.

For domestic travel, Southwest has been our airline of choice for years, mostly because of their pricing.  Their seating policy was one of the "quirks" of flying the airline - but the results were cheaper tickets (not unnoticeable with up to five people traveling at one time).  To be fair, their reputation as the "cattle car" of airlines was not wholly undeserved:  self sorting at the gate, snacks consisting of their now-famous bag of snack mix and a drink, the inevitable last minute thoughts as everyone waited for the last boarders (the "C" group) to break down and realize that middle seats where the only option and they really would have to gate check their luggage.  But their flights were relatively cheap, especially if you booked early, and their Rewards program was rather good (reaching "A" status, where you are automatically checked in and your seating is almost always in the "A" group, and mostly within the first 30 seats really makes a difference).  And their "Two bags fly free" policy puts most of the rest of the industry to shame in a world where everyone else charges for every bag, at least on a domestic flight.

I am surprisingly grateful to an entity like Southwest.  Their pricing and pricing model has allowed us to make many trips in the past between New Home and Old Home that we could not otherwise have made.  They allowed me to travel back monthly in the last stage of my parents lives in a way I do not think I could have afforded on any other airline for that long of a period of time (just under four years).

I have no idea what the post-assigned seating world for them will look like; if past experience with any other change is an indication it will be more expensive, offer less service overall, and eventually become homogenous with every other airline out there.  Their quirky ways, or what is left of them, will be subsumed in standard practices and it will simply become one more option almost completely the same with every other airline that flies.

I still have a great many points that I have accumulated over the last four years that I will need to spend down, so likely I will be around long enough to see the changes before they run out.  On the one hand that is great for me (as it a very small fee out of pocket), on the other hand it will undoubtedly make me sad as it continues.  

Thanks, Southwest, for giving me a lot of happy memories of trying to hit the check-in time and being disappointed.  Thanks for the minor victories when I managed to get higher seated on those check-ins.  Thanks for making sure I could see my parents when they needed me most.

We will always have Snack Mix and Diet Cokes at 35,000 feet.


9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:30 AM

    I firmly believe in voting with my wallet. I don't always win, but at least I can say I made my case and put my money where my mouth is. There are A LOT of companies I will no longer do business with for a variety of reasons. I loathe the airline industry as a whole, but recognize driving cross-country or internationally simply isn't possible. Sucks, I hate supporting industries I detest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - I am like you in that aspect, and like you have the satisfaction of feeling I have done the right thing (even if it does not make a difference in their bottom line).

      Like a lot of industries, it is the industry I loathe, not the people (who generally seem to be doing the best they can). But it is certainly not my favorite. And if one is doing anything beyond a vacation drive or about a day's drive, they really can be life changing (to go to my parent's place from New Home was either a 4 hour direct flight or a 3 day drive).

      That said, I try to make the least bad choice I can. For a variety of reasons, Southwest made sense. I will re-evaluate based on how this works out. At the same time, it is fair to admit that the nature of my trips is changing as well as I will be flying back infrequently to New Home or to The Ranch (which, to be fair, is now one long day's drive). For a regular 1.5 hour flight, other options may be acceptable.

      Delete
  2. Nylon127:16 AM

    Time passes and things change, not always for the better. Now you have plenty of material for those " I remember when I was young" stories to enthrall those unlucky enough to linger in your vicinity in the coming decades TB.......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, explaining to my children how once upon a time one could just walk up to the gates and meet people alone makes me feel like a relic. This will just add to that.

      Delete
  3. As you say, praise God it didn't happen sooner.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I had something of a sense it was trailing to an end. I am interested to see if the change in policy and practice impacts who flies and how the fly.

      It was a great run while it lasted.

      Delete
  4. When I flew for work, they were my choice. Even if I stopped at every airport between home and destination. It was all good. Their humor made the trips fun.

    Herb Kellerman once said they weren't competing against other airlines, their competition was Greyhound. I paid for a family friend to fly from HOU to LBB once. It was $25 more than a Greyhound ticket. 2 hours vs 14+ hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, they have been 95% of my in-country travel, 100% for the travel that I pay for. Even with the stops, it still made for an entertaining and pleasing flight.

      Perhaps that is part of the problem - they are no longer competing against surface transportation but rather against other airlines, which is a different business model.

      At this point, what I would not give to see Elon Musk throw his hat in the ring of high speed trains.

      Delete
  5. We never had access to Southwest so I never experienced open seating. Mostly since I travel with a large family group, it didn't seem like something that I would enjoy, especially since with no perks, we are always the last to board. To some extent, I would rather drive 12 hours than fly the same distance in two and treated like a cow on the way to slaughter. Of course where I live, one must factor in three more hours for commuting to and from the airport and anyplace 12 hours drive away would require me to make a connection which would add another 2 to 3 hours to the flying experience. With the checking in two hours in advance due to TSA staffing issues, the four hours difference between flying and driving seems miniscule.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!