Friday, March 15, 2024

New Home 2.0 - Away!

Friends, as you read this post The Ravishing Mrs. TB and I are safely in New Home 2.0, where we are beginning a day of apartment hunting.  We actually arrived yesterday, but I keeping finding reasons to not post from Seneca on Thursdays and he has begun to suggest I am avoiding him.

When your own alter ego is pointing things out, it might be time to pay attention.

As some may recall, we had a home finding tour assigned as part of our relocation package.  In a bit of interesting impacts on planning, if we came prior to my start date the entire trip - airfare, lodging, meals, rental car - would be covered. If it was after I started, only airfare and rental car would be covered.  Perhaps not surprisingly we chose to come directly before I start the following Monday.

Today will be a day with our relocation consultant visiting apartments.  At the moment we are looking at something with two bedrooms and a single bath, the extra bedroom to accommodate any visitors that we might have (as Na Clann have never been to New Home 2.0 it seems likely they may come, and host of folks that were previously out of range are now within an easy flight).  As you can imagine, there is a financial consideration as well as for the better part of a year we will be carrying both a rental contract and a mortgage payment.  My hope is that we will walk away with at least one actual apartment we can look forward to moving into in April.

Saturday and Sunday are now left to visiting locales in the area.  We are both in the position of not having been in this area for many, many years - for me, likely over 30. As our dining is covered, The Ravishing Mrs. TB has already selected some restaurants for our enjoyment.  I am certain they will be both delicious and something I would never have thought of otherwise.

The other thing that is on my mind as we do this is at least starting a discussion about the next several years.

If I am honest with myself, this job potentially represents the "last lap" of my career in this industry. It has the potential to make things happen, perhaps even at a quicker pace than I had anticipated.  This year also brings additional changes:  if all goes as it seems to, likely we will have one house in New Home with some aspect of income and rental, an apartment, and The Ranch with at least one rental (The Cabin) and other possibilities.

In other words, like it or not things are changing a great deal.  The changes have every possibility to make other things possible - if properly managed and consciously decided on.  And I am not always the best at both of those criteria.

It is only a starter discussion for sure; we do have things to enjoy over the weekend and I am sure that I will immediately be submerged into my work and starting to establish a new routine.  But better conscious thinking than unconscious blundering.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything is so hopeful, even exciting. That's the best way to begin a new chapter in one's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, other than a bit of a issue getting out from the airport, everything has been great so far. The weather for this location is uncommonly fine and it appears we may have found a living place.

      Delete
  2. Nylon128:27 AM

    A momentous week indeed TB, good luck with the apartment search and enjoy the restaurant research done by The Ravishing Mrs. TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12! So far her research is one for one.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great, enjoy new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TM. I really am trying to approach it that way - the other way is to be sad and depressed, but that still does not change the underlying fact that I have a new job and we have to move. Embrace it or deny it, it is still coming.

      Delete
  4. "In other words, like it or not things are changing a great deal."
    I can relate to that. And you all are still in my prayers.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Your prayers are very much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. My first time in that neck of the woods was only two years ago. I didn't spend much of that time in Portland but mostly east of there and it is really beautiful country. We did eat at a really good place in town along the river, in a restaurant that was floating, but I no longer remember the name of the place. There was also a huge bookstore someplace downtown that I went too and lost myself in for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, we had a wonderful weekend here. Looking for apartments did not take long, so we had a weekend to look at some local points of interest.

      The food scene here is supposed to be grand, so we have some experimenting to do.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!