Saturday, March 23, 2024

New Home 2.0: A Semblance Of Order

As an update - really probably more for myself than anyone else - I thought it might be valuable to post how things are going in the New Home 2.0.  I do not know that this will be any kind of "regular" feature, but it might serve as a reminder in the future of how everything came together. 

Because there has been progress.

This week we managed to get The Ravishing Mrs. TB back to the airport, the car checked in, and my car issued and me safely off to work, where (thankfully) they were expecting me all on Monday.  We found an apartment (for the record, I have not lived in an apartment in 25 years) that would work for us and got a lease submitted - which was accepted and for which we put down a deposit.  The lease itself is being reviewed by our relocation consultant, less to make any specific changes as much as to be clear on what is in the lease.

Benefits have (I think) been signed up for  - thankfully they took effect the day of my employment, so I could cancel COBRA before we starting paying for it starting in May (That is a huge relief.  That price tag was hefty).  And I will say that this employer has a multiplicity of different benefits and benefit platforms, so sorting through them all will be the work of some weeks.

My first flight back to New Home is scheduled (as well as the return), and the additional housing time between my return and the lease taking effect has been booked.  This means there is no interruption in me having housing, which I am a fan of.

The car transport has been booked.  There may be some slight overlap between how long I have the rental and the car arrival - if it works out, I have to turn in the rental car on the day the car arrives.  All great, if it works out.  I am guessing not, which might mean some additional days of rental.

Likely the movement of any items will not take place before May.

Another "win" is that the rabbits are going to be able to come out and live with us - although forbidden as pets, they are acceptable as Emotional Support Animals with a letter.  I have not informed them of this development; they may start demanding additional snacks as hazard pay.

My current commute takes a grand 8 minutes to get from the hotel to work; that will increase to 10 minutes when I move (or so the InterWeb tells me).  I have not had this short of a commute (where I had to go to the office) since the early 1990's.

There is a certain temporary rhythm emerging to my life.  I am grateful, even as I am conscious of the fact that it will likely slip into another rhythm in a few weeks as things change again.

In total, if the hand of God is not involved here, I do not know where it would be.  Things could not possibly be going any smoother.

10 comments:

  1. Nylon126:44 AM

    A New Routine and settling into it.....Excellent! (cue Mr. Burns GIF) Good to hear there won't be COBRA costs TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, the COBRA costs are a great relief. We would not have been out of pocket until starting in May, but they were very clear that it can take some days for it to cancel. 45 days or so should be plenty of time for it to close out - and verify it is closed out.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I had no idea there is a difference between pets and emotional support animals. Interesting.

    Sounds like things are working out really well. This is a relief considering how hectic things got for you just recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I had a hint of this with my niece and her fiancé and their cats. Although they could not keep them as "pets", they apparently could keep them as Support Animals. Different state, but the underlying principle is the ADA, which is Federal. I suspect that this was an outcome no-one particularly predicted.

      Things really are working out well, all things considered. It is nice to have some breathing space before things ramp up again.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like things are falling into place. Hopefully they stay in place for a long period of time to give you a chance to recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I hope so too. I am trying to pace myself and expect less overall in terms of resolution, in some cases up to a year. One thing at a time.

      Delete
  4. Amen. Praise the Lord.
    A Blessed Palm Sunday to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear how happy you are with how things are going, TB. And emotional support rabbits, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, they are indeed going well - almost better than I could have expected. Now we begin the work of planning for the relocation of things.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!