Friday, March 01, 2024

Training 2024: Learnings

 

Utagawa Hiroshige, Autumn Moon at Ishiyama, 1834 (Source)

For my trip to Japan in 2024, we have discussed location and facilities, meals, vending machines, and other places I had seen (here and here).  What we have yet to discuss is what I actually learned.

It is not as ethereal a subject as it might sound like.  We are required to write a paper every time we train with our headmaster stating what we learned during our time with him.  My understanding is that somewhere out on the InterWeb, all of these papers exist (no idea where, of course).  My Sensei has always been kind enough to share his drafts with me; what I suspect is that everyone takes away both general things and things specific to their situation.

More relevant to this discussion, of course, is what did I learn?

Learnings for these events fall into two parts.  The first is that of technique, corrections received that are general to the waza being practiced and applicable to all or specific to the individual and their practice of it.  Mine for this category were not, for the most part, surprising to me:  Posture.  Grip.  Height (e.g., I need to be lower).  Straight(er) back (something I have been battling for 15 years).  Cutting angles (hasuji).  Area and direction of my gaze (metsuke).    To correct these is practice, feedback, more practice.

The second part - what did I take away as an individual - is always the more interesting and revealing part.  These have differed from year to year, based largely on where I was in my life at the time.

It all started with stiffness.

One of the corrections I received multiple times this training was that I was too stiff.  My grip on the sword handle (tsuba) was compared to a "death grip"; my completion of any technique was noted as being rigid not just in my grip, but in my whole body.   I was strong - very much so - but with flexibility, I would never truly perform the technique.

"A living hand is pliable; a dead hand is fixed" wrote Miyamoto Musashi, the 17th Century swordsman who knew a thing or two about swordsmanship.  It was not a minor thing.  

The encouragement, therefore, was to relax.

Relaxing in swordsmanship is something that seems to be at odds with the practice itself, at least in my mind - but then, as I considered it, in point of fact it was true of almost all aspects of my life: I am tense.  I tense up.   This is true in social situations for sure, but really it is true of any situation in which I have to make a decision or sometimes even just the thought of doing anything.  I become paralyzed and I become stiff.

Enter a hot bath and fluorescent lighting.

One evening in the ofuro, the beloved hot soaking tub that is a staple of Japanese onsen and even our humble training center, I sat looking at the reflection of the fluorescent lights above the tub in the water.  The water was stirred up due to the activity of people getting in and out.  The fluorescent lights above the tub chipped and shattered into a million light shards in the pool, lighted waves rippling back and forth in endless motion.

It was only when everything stopped - when no-one had entered or exited the pool, or when we just sat there - that the fluorescent lights reflected clearly in the pool.

The moon and water is a common motif in Japanese art, a staple of poetry and paintings and woodblocks.  Even in our sword art, there is a technique that is literally translated as "Water Moon Sword", the imagery of the two swords reflecting each other like the moon and water.  

Suddenly - in what I would not name "Satori" (enlightenment) but enlightening - I saw clearly that only when one is at peace and relaxed can one truly see and reflect what is around one.  Any stress, any disturbance, and the image is lost in a jumble of moving waves and fractured light.  And so if I wanted to improve my technique - to become less stiff and rigid - I needed to practice being at peace and relaxing, even in the midst of practicing forms.  It also helps in that only when one is at peace and still that one can see those subtle visual and mental cues that in the life a swordsman determined when to draw and in the life of ordinary people when an action was required.

The lesson, at least as I understood it, became even more critical upon my return and indeed during the past week:  being stirred up and anxious prevents me from seeing things for what the really are.  If I can bring my intensity down, manage my internally generated stress, I become free to act in ways that are actually beneficial.

I cannot say I am implementing this well; like anything it is a learned activity that has 50 plus years of habit and training going against it.  But I have at least been able to make myself conscious that such a thing is happening, and if I can realize its occurrence, I can take measures against it.

The moon will always be there to reflect in the water; likewise, every day is an opportunity to learn afresh that only through stillness and calm can relax enough to see things clearly.

12 comments:

  1. Nylon126:12 AM

    Being able to realize on your sojourn to Japan that relaxing is so important, perhaps the issues of the job search and your Mother were deep enough to hinder your ability to relax enough to improve your swordsmanship techniques but then......what do I know? Things happen for a reason TB, but not being to recognize the reason can be vexing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - The sequence of events is actually pretty interesting: I got back from training on a Monday, left the following Saturday for The Ranch, saw my mother the following Friday, and then got notified 1.5 weeks later (on a Monday) that she had passed.

      Things do indeed happen for a reason.

      Delete
  2. TB, what an excellent insight. Applicable to so many things in life. I can relate with archery. Mental calmness and physical relaxation are imperative for accuracy. Seems counterintuitive to relax while keeping a bowstring taught under its extreme tension, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh.

      I might recommend the book "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel. Herrigel was a German professor that went to Japan in the 1920's and studied kyudo. It is not a book without criticism (some feel some of the conversations were made up), but it is interesting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_in_the_Art_of_Archery).

      Delete
  3. If I were asked to write a paper of what I wanted from this training, it would be that I don't cut off one of my own appendages or that of another person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the bright side is that we do not use shinken (live blades), so the chances of such an event are small - although, I suppose, not zero.

      Delete
  4. I tend to the same internal stress you mention. And second guessing decisions for a week or so after I make them.

    In Kung Fu, we'd "meditate". I never liked the open mind, empty thoughts type of meditation, so I'd mentally quote Bible verses I'd memorized. That always relaxed me. And a relaxed body is more flexible and resilient. I found my reactions were faster, and took less effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I do not know that I was conscious of how much of my life involved that sort of stress until I thought about it upon this sort of revelation.

      In discussions, it was made clear - for me - that this flexibleness is what would make me a great swordsman instead of what I am now. So certainly something I need to work on.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Son has high power job but the stress carries over to his love of golf. He's good but wasn't able to correct the stiffness in his swing. Pro at his club recommended yoga. He found a class and has been doing it for over a year now and he's says it helping in all area but best of all, for him was shaving a point off his game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - That is a great example.

      I am thinking of trying to supplement my training with upcoming move in some other martial art that might help me cement this.

      Delete
  6. This was interesting, TB. I'm taking this to heart: "A living hand is pliable; a dead hand is fixed". I'm wondering if I can take that thought forward and apply it broadly. The more tightly I hold on to anything, the more I seem to struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, Musashi would argue that we should indeed apply it broadly. His statement after this sentence is "You should consider this well".

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!