Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Collapse CXXXVIII: Sorting

09 July 20XX +1

My Dear Lucilius:

Pompeia Paulina, when a suggestion is made, does not delay – unlike myself, who can often push things off to when choices have been effectively eliminated and only one decision is possible: “procrastination”, I believe is the vulgar term. Within 12 hours of my thought that we might want to examine everything we owned in order to organize it for the future, a list had been produced and a categorization matrix presented.

I should watch myself around this wife of mine, Lucilius; a suggestion can be a very dangerous thing.

The categorization presented itself into three buckets:

A) Items which are required for survival (e.g. food, shelter, protection);

B) Items which are not required for survival but make survival “better” (better, of course, being a somewhat subjective term);

C) Items which have limited or no intrinsic or extrinsic value in the current environment.

Category A is pretty well defined: items for food, shelter, and protection are rather self evident at this point as we have been in the situation for almost a year now. And Category C is also pretty well defined, although in some cases I do not know that getting rid of things makes sense: for things like lamps, they take up little enough space and a refrigerator can be used for simple storage. And DVDs, while useless, have no more use to anyone else than they do to us – except, I suppose, as potential targets.

Category B, items not required for survival but which make survival better, is the sticking point.

Many things can be considered to fall into this category. Books? Not every book I have is directly related to survival or survival skills, but does every book have to be? At some point who knows: I may end up with the last copy of Dostoevsky this side of the Mississippi. Decor? It adds nothing to surviving, but it does break the monotony of walls and even prehistoric man may have “touched up” their living quarters.

I wrote of things like dehydrators, where the tray may have benefits while the unit does not, or even my clothes washer, which might have parts of value while the unit does not. For now, these things have been parsed out as things to consider; we are in no immediate rush to get rid of anything.

Even before everything essentially stopped, I had made a conscious decision to minimize my needs and wants – that said, it is apparent that this had not extended to the possibility that things might drastically change. I had based my thinking on what seemed likely to happen, although I will be fair to myself: worst case scenario thinking sometimes seems beyond the Pale to us in normal circumstances, except when suddenly it manifests itself in ways we did not expect.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

(Postscript: Following up from my last letter, my initial discussion with Young Xerxes went well. He actually discussed it with a couple of other people. I need to flesh out the idea soon, which gives me a perfect topic for the next letter.)

10 comments:

  1. Nylon124:36 AM

    Helps to have another mind consider what is necessary and what isn't. Course then agreement is needed and that might be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it surely does - if for no other reason than it makes us look at our sacred cows and really question them.

      I note that Seneca did not really discuss anything that Pompeia Paulina might have brought. Wise man.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:12 AM

    DVD off grid use - signal mirror. use the center hole as your sighting aperture, using your off hand's 'peace sign' to aim it.

    Probably tons more of ideas. People can be very creative when properly motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Anon! That is a great idea.

      From The Lord of the Rings DVD Return of the King, using it as a signaling device: "The Beacons of Gondor are lit - again!"

      Delete
  3. DVD's as signaling a good catch. DVD's in the garden as a bird scarer is useful JUST REMEMBER even the bird brains figure out its not dangerous UNLESS you change it up. Same with "Scare Crows"

    Reusing "useless" items like reworking parts of a washing machine into a bicycle powered washer is a very useful time and effort saver of the whole community. Using the now "useless" chassis as a framework for removing chaff from grain is something I've seen at hippie farms (fun folks).

    In Bosnia during the civil war, I saw folks rework steel filing cabinets into serviceable wood heaters. Interesting just how burnable was wood laminate flooring was when you really needed heat.

    I also saw low oxygen reduction of plastics in an old pressure cooker to reduce plastics to a usable lamp oil-kerosene heater oil and the waxy residue left over an excellent fire starter. At least one family I befriended in Bosnia made a sort of living scrounging plastic trash and selling "kerosene".

    EPA approve, no. But worked well enough as well as got rid of plastic trash that I've seen as a bane in many 3rd world countries I've visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Reusing "useless" items like reworking parts of a washing machine into a bicycle powered washer is a very useful time and effort saver of the whole community."

      That is the challenge of Category 2: finding the uses for such things to justify their storage, although I suspect that the only things that will be gotten rid of are those things that truly have no salvage value at all.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Mirrors- I found by accident the disk from a hard drive is an unbelievably good mirror- it will shine a circle the size of a dinner plate on a surface 30 or 40 yards away.
    Hand tools, and talent- how many have a really good set of files? Saws? Drills? Etc. A bunch of good rope and chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fascinating discussion. It makes me want to go back and look at everything I own with that in mind.

      Delete
  5. Thought provoking post, TB. My offering to the conversation is to say I think books are very important in this kind of situation. How-to survival and DIY books, for sure, but I think it's very important for people to have distractions, entertainments, and ways of improving their minds. We need access to knowledge and mental engagement to keeps us from sinking into anger, frustration, or despair. We need intellectual engagement to not lose the best part of what makes us human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. That Seneca. He makes me think.

      Distractions are likely just as important as other more practical uses. Analog games are probably also good in this area.

      To be transparent, I am a great believer in books, so my judgement in this area may be impaired...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!