Friday, March 08, 2024

On Conversations

This past week I had the good fortune to have coffee with The Dog Whisperer,  part of the larger "Grand Farewell Tour" that has been going on since the notification of the new job became confirmed.  

By the time I looked up at the watch, I realized that over three hours had gone by with us just talking about this and that:  our former employer, her job search, iaijutsu (when will I never talk about that that), animals, life in general.  "This was great" I commented as we were leaving.  "I never seem to have these sorts of conversations any more".

-----

This is not the first conversation of late I have had to this extent: recently my standing call with Rainbow ran a full two hours and coffee with another former employee ran 1.5 hours.  Conversations with La Contessa when I am in Old Home do not go less than 1.5 hours and often over that.  And as I thought on these things, the comment I made to The Dog Whisperer came up again:  Why do I not seem to have these kinds of conversations any more?

Or perhaps more appropriately, why do we - I, at least - not make the time to have them?

----

Social media and technology has done a great deal, both good and ill. One of the good things that it has done is that it has allowed people to find other people that share their interests in a way that one could not before:  many of those that share my interests live in other states or other countries, and even on this blog I have "found my tribe" thanks to the InterWeb.  And it allows us to keep in touch with each other in a way that we would not have been able to before: information (pictures, conversations) can take place in virtually real time from anywhere in the world (not that I often awake to watch the live coverage of the annual Kobudo Kyokai demonstration with a massive time difference, but I could if I wanted to).  A large part of the origination of the more frequent writing on this blog, in fact, was to be able to share my life in New Home with my family, primarily TB The Elder, who faithfully read it daily up to the end of 2020 (although, as he often informed me, he did not always "get" everything I wrote about).

That said, social media and technology bring issues as well.  A simple issue is simply that by finding "more people like me", I also tend to focus on communication with those people and less with others, something that - like or not - we had to do in the analog age of society.  Another thing is that conversations often are not in "real time", but rather in the time it takes to respond.  It is rather like an author writing a book:  the author can get up, walk around, get a drink, and then get back to writing.  For the characters, it is as if no time has passed.  Thus, conversations are often always a sort of hanging conversation, with responses drifting in and out based on availability and interest.  

It can be great for keeping in touch.  It is less great when one is seeking deep and engaging conversations.

----

Along with the fact we seem to talk less to each other, we also seem to set aside less time to talk to each other.

Once upon a time - within my lifetime - we dropped by to "talk to people".  I would be tempted to say that this is a preserve of the older generation (as I am almost "in" that generation now), except that habit seems to less prevalent than it used to be even among them.

On one hand, I can understand that.  In the modern day society in which we live, people are busy.  Schedules can be mapped out for days, weeks or even months in advance.  Simply "stopping on by" almost smacks of a certain rudeness, a sort of enforced demand to make conversation:  "Behold, it is I, descended from the bounds of Mt. Olympus. Stop ye thine activities and converse".  Most people will make an attempt, but there is nothing less conducive to conversation than someone constantly checking their watch or phone or the clock, fidgeting as the seconds tick by.

On the other hand, our modern day society can program time to where we simply have none to give:  every hour, every minute, every second needs to be "productive".  We must do the things and meet the objectives, personal or familial or corporate.  Conversation becomes something that happens "in between" other things, snatched at the beginning and end of meetings or mentioned as individuals pass in the home or church or social events on their way to the next thing - or, as noted above, in the quasi-timelessness of electronic space.

Unemployment gives one an odd reprieve on this order, almost a unique one:  one has all the time in the world and yet no time at all, flipping between the driving force of needing to find work and the reality that one cannot will a job into existence.  Conversations become easier when the currency one has is time itself with no other pressing thing to spend it on.

----

In high school, and even into our community college days, Uisdean Ruadh and I would walk the rails and talk.

The walk to the railroad near my house was not more than a quarter mile; from there we would walk the rails into my home town - if one walks far enough, one ends up at the former train station from years gone by.  This was long ago, when two young men walking the railroad tracks in small town America was likely to cause no more fuss than a recommendation to "Watch for trains".

These walks could take two or more hours, the crunching on the gravel giving way to the slap of our shoes on pavement and sidewalk as we walked the streets until, tired or talked out, we would make our way back to my house.  The conversations are not now specific in my mind, except the fact that we talked - about everything: school, plans, wild fantasies of imaginations, girls, religion - in many ways like our conversations now. 

These were never forced, and likely we seldom had a specific goal in mind for for our conversations.  We just walked and talked, two young men with no money and no better activity than to banter with words.

----

If one has a conversation - a true conversation, not just the banal sort of exchange that seems to pass for such these days - one forgets the wonder of what a conversation can truly be.

To talk back and forth, to see point and counterpoint spiral up and above and overtopping one another, to find out things one never knew about the other - "Oh, you enjoyed that too?" -, to spend the time truly talking about a subject without worrying about the time ticking down:  this is perhaps in some ways a very faint reflection of Heaven. I can never see myself talking to God in this way - the difference between us is far too large - but I can see having such conversations with The Saved, where time simply has no meaning and conversations can truly go on as long as they need to (as a side note, I suspect prayer is supposed to be like this, but mine never feel this way).

But all of this starts with something.  And that something is a conversation, a real conversation.  And to have a real conversation, one has to reserve and spend the time.

I cannot say that I will suddenly change how I do such things, or even that I can.  But these slivers of the real sort of thing make me hunger for such intellectual stimulation and true sharing of the intellect and souls are the more.

Odd that technology allows to connect more than ever, yet seems to deny us the ability to actual converse.

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:15 AM

    Your periods of unemployment may have given you a glimpse into retirement, where the weekend doesn't matter like it used to, where your weekend is now seven days instead of two. Thus, more time available to you, maybe more time to talk TB assuming the OTHER party has time to do so eh? In addition, that urge to use that cell phone, when in the presence of others, is an over-powering one, an addiction if you like, which can hinder that serious conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - I have thought more than once that it is an interesting sort of preview into what retirement might be like. Not 100% of course; I do still have that "I need to find a job" going in the back of my mind. Still, there is a certain timelessness to the days that was unique. It reminded me a bit of Tolkien's description of Rivendell, where there seemed to be no time passing at all.

      The time of other parties is indeed an issue - perhaps why "the retired" have friends that are "retired".

      The Magic Box is the great killer of conversation of our era. I say this, having this struggle myself.

      Delete
  2. Over a year ago, I started to note my headspace was shifting ever so slightly off my desired direction. I asked a friend if he'd be willing to meet once a week just to talk. He's a pastor, and I'm on the injured reserve list. We talked for three hours without effort. It has become a high point in my life. Conversationally, we roam all over. Some of my ideas have come up in his sermons. It's real life. Now that I have had genuine life, I don't think I'd be able to return to rushed life and the blow-molded friendships I had back then.

    I will say, having serious things happen to you will sort true friends from everyone else you thought you knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - The roaming nature of such conversations is an interesting thought. It is one of the things that keeps the relationship or friendship alive - one of the great obstacles to maintaining things like work relationships in my opinion is the fact that the main subject which created the relationship (work) when the job ends. Many if not most of those relationships simply die because after a time there is nothing to talk about except 1) That job; 2) The Company; and 3) People you both knew (but probably do not talk to now). I am trying to make a conscious effort now to find ways to connect with people outside of the main reason that we are in the relationship (job, church, volunteer, etc.). The fullness of a relationship helps to drive the the conversation to reach other areas - as you indicated with y our friend.

      I am interested (if interested is the term) to see how things happen in New Home 2.0. To your point, after this period I am not eager to just jump back in to how things were. I do think the relocation can help with that in that it forces me to make new patterns.

      And yes, serious things happening will sort out one's two friends. I am blessed beyond measure that two of my dearest and best friends are also my oldest, hitting the 43 year mark this March. We have literally been through everything together and we have the history with each other to know all the backstory.

      Delete
  3. Real conversation takes time. It requires empathy and ability to listen more than for a break in the words to "make it all about ME".

    But it's worth it, as it builds connections, social capital and trust.

    Sadly, both good people and con men use it.

    At work, Work Conversation is fraught with how trustworthy this person is, as well as the people listening in the room. Are they afraid you'll "take their job or favored status" at the jobsite.

    In the woke and hyper politized era we live in you'll never know just how "sensitive" folks can CHOOSE to Be until you have a meeting with HR.

    I am hopeful you'll find excellent employment and good but casual work friends to share that work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully I am not a con man Michael, although the jury may be out on that.

      To date, I have managed to navigate the waters of work by simply not speaking about anything remotely controversial and being the best example of "Hail, well met" that I can be. That, and making most jokes at my own expense.

      Thanks for the well wishes. I am hopeful this will be a grand adventure.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed reading this, TB. I have recently started a habit tracker, and one of the things I put on it is to "connect with someone". Like every day. It doesn't have to be a deep connection - just a connection. A text will do if there is no other opportunity. I thought it would be easy, and the month did start off very well, but I am a bit disappointed that without making an effort, I completely forgot to try to connect with anyone today. And with no plans on the horizon tomorrow, if I am not intentional, tomorrow will likely be the same. It is so easy to slip into being content with my own company. It does help, of course that Hub is around and we talk off and on all day - thought we also go hours doing our own thing. I'm glad I have a date with a friend next week. She is the kind of friend you write about. Someone I can pass hours with, talking about everything and nothing. And while we only met in our 40's we have nearly 20 years of history together. I'm thinking I need to beef up my personal challenge. Get some more "in person" connections on the calendar. That was the ultimate point to my challenge anyway. Start easy and build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, that is a great idea for a tracker and goal!

      I, too, have to remind myself how much of a conscious effort it is. I too often will just sort of get by on hand wave and texts or small posts.

      I am glad you have a friend like that - and it is remarkable how the time adds up so quickly!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!