Sunday, August 06, 2023

His Purposes

 "If we are in communion with God and recognize that He is taking us into His purposes, we shall no longer try to find out what His purposes are.  As we go in the Christian life it gets simpler, because we are less inclined to say - Now why did God allow this and that?  Behind the whole thing lies the compelling of God.  'There's a divinity that shapes our ends.'  A Christian is one who trusts the wits and wisdom of God, and not his own wits.  If we have a purpose of our own, it destroys the simplicity and the leisureliness which ought to characterize the children of God."

- Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Amen, my toughest fight is letting go of the steering wheel,
    Trusting God with not only myself, but the whole of Creation.
    I have in the past actually thought these words:
    "But God, you don't understand..."
    God forgive me, the Hubris and ego in those few words astound and convict me.
    Fortunately, it is for Sins such as these that Jesus is my Savior.

    God Bless and Keep you close

    MSG Grumpy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MSG - It is hard for me as well. For years I was convinced I had a "mission statement" that was God centered, but also carefully constructed to represent what I wanted as well. Turns out that is not what God seems to have had in mind at all.

      You are not the only ones to utter those words.

      Delete
  2. Amen.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a balance between being active in the life and just going along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is indeed Ed, and I am pretty bad at it, mostly on the "being active" side.

      Delete
  4. Getting a flat tire is not a good thing, according to our thinking. Not being in the intersection a drunk driver rocketed through at 100 MPH because you HAD a flat tire... THAT is how GOD works!

    Giving ourselves over to God's will... So simple, yet so difficult...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - That has happened to me too many times to dismiss it as anything other than the will of God as well.

      Yes, it often seems the most difficult thing in the world.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!