Thursday, August 03, 2023

An Engagement

 Today's post on The Collapse has been moved to next week due to...an engagement.



Nighean Bhan's enagement, as it turns out.

I know, I know:  "She has been dating?  You never mentioned such things."

I do not typically.  Things of that nature are typically left to the "going on outside the blog" world - except, of course, when they occasionally reach the point of crossing over into this world.

The situation was that this was the first time we brought her boyfriend (note to self, need to come up with a name) back to The Ranch, both to meet the family (in general) and to see the property, which of course we have been talking about for years.  Nighean Bhan has apparently commented to him for years that it is her favorite place.  After doing the family visits on Friday and Saturday, we had a short break before we started moving things out to The Barn on Sunday.  They went for a walk and he suggested looking for the shiniest piece of quartz they could find.  They started looking and...

They have been dating for four years (legitimately did meet in high school).  He is gainfully employed in his own business  She seems happy and they seem very compatible.

There is no official date for the wedding yet, although I suspect it will be after Nighean Bhan finishes her schooling (which should be two years of so). Plenty of time to enjoy the time now and stress about the wedding later.

I say that.  The Ravishing Mrs. TB is already stressing about the wedding.

Every once in a while, it is nice to have some good news to share.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your happy news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome sbrgirl! Not a total surprise, but definitely welcome.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:11 AM

    Congrats to your offspring on her engagement. Hmmmm.....if The Ravishing Mrs. TB is stressing already,. it won't be long until YOU are stressing TB, good luck there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12 - and you are probably right, although we are probably a bit off from the event itself.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful news all around, TB.
    Congratulations to you all and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:36 AM

    That is awesome news. And so glad that the younger appreciates the family property for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great news. The fact that she had mentioned it as her favorite place in the world made my heart happy, as I am sure it would have my father's.

      Delete
  5. Outstanding news, TB! May they be happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Such good news. Congratulation to the happy couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think both of the families involved are pretty happy as well.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to you and the happy couple!

    It is a blessing that your daughter loves one of the places you love dearest. My daughters are quite the opposite and dislike the places I love. I'm not sure how or if I went wrong somehow. I keep hoping that perhaps they will grow into it someday as I have grown to like places and things that I disliked when I was their age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed!

      I think the hope that your children will grow into the places you loves is possible. Certainly I never quite thought of The Ranch the way I do now growing up - it was a place we spent a lot of time at away from my friends and (except for books) things I liked to do. Only later did I realize how much it had grown on me.

      Delete
  8. That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you all. The world needs more good news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. I (at least) get hung up on the bad news so often, I should try to follow my own advice and share good news when I can.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Friends daughter and mine both became engaged same month. They've been friends since grade school. I offered mine the down payment on a modest home or her "blow out Wedding". We would have wedding at home with a very pared down guest list. Made this offer once everyone settled down. They took some time to think about it, put pen to paper and decided the down payment made better sense. Helped that neither one is much a party person. Her friends parent offered the sameish, they went with the blow out and within 18 months both married. Friend had beautiful wedding but 6 years later she's divorced. Daughter and Son-in-Law found home and moved in month prior to their wedding on our large deck. Had an old fashion TX BBQ, and kept it to about 55 people. Much less stress than my friend went through. It's been little over 5 years and they just bought their 2nd. home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My temptation is to say that your story is all too common, but that is only a sense; I have no data to back that up other than personal experience. Good on your daughter and son-in-law for sensible financial management. Fortunately in this case, both my daughter and her fiancé also have good saving and spending habits.

      Delete
  10. That is happy news! What a fun way to present her a ring. And what a beautiful ring it is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!