Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Collapse CXVI: An Offer

19 June 20XX +1

My Dear Lucilius,

Young Xerxes came by this afternoon. An expedition is being mounted and they are looking for volunteers.

He was vague about the overall concept except that someone has apparently located The Locusts and now has them under observation. They are close, much closer than anyone would like, to the northernmost town of our small association in the Garnet Valley. Better to strike them now, the thought runs, than to wait until they move again – as they only have one way to go at this point, and we lie directly in that path.

A time of our choosing instead of theirs, as it were.

For us, here, it would be a hike of about 30 miles one way – add another 20 miles at the outside for the town beyond ours. Apparently someone has offered up some store of gasoline to at least get the volunteers there.

I am assuming he knows more – loose lips and all that – but he had two questions for me. The first, of course, is would I consider volunteering. Of course, I responded – although I am not quite sure what value I might add, I can at least shoot straight, be a backup, and (at my age) may be less of a loss than someone younger.

The second was if I would stand for him at his marriage. Which is now happening tomorrow – or so he proposed; he was going back to Statiera’s house to talk to her again and would I be willing to come with him?

As if somehow my presence would make everything easier.

I went, of course – I owe Young Xerxes more than that at this point. The relative bustle in the town as we walked suggested I was not the only one to that had a request of me; there was a steady stream of people entering and leaving the old post office as we walked by. Young Xerxes did not say much as we walked; he just looked sad and grim all at once.

Arriving at Statiera’s and Pompeia Paulina’s, we found the same sort of bustle. Statiera hugged Young Xerxes as soon as he walked in, then started crying, then starting telling him something about not going, then started crying again.

Pompeia Paulina and I discretely stepped outside.

It is the best sort of early evening here, the sort of evening that even a year ago I would have rejoiced in and perhaps even grilled some sort of meat. The sun cast its rays up and down the Garnet Valley and sky was the sort of cerulean blue one only seems to imagine that one can find in one’s imagination. We sat there for a while in the yard, trying very hard not to listen to what might or might not be going on in the house.

“Did Young Xerxes talk to you?” Pompeia Paulina finally asked.

“He did”. I studiously looked up at the mountains, the sky, viewing anything but who was next to me.

More silence as the birds chased insects along the grass line. “Are you going?”

“I expect that I am”. For such short sentences, this made for a very uncomfortable conversation.

“I don’t suppose I can talk you out of it.”

I shook my head. “It makes logical sense. Worst case is that I take the place of someone younger and stronger that has a life left to live. I would not be the biggest loss, although….” I sat and thought on something that had been in my mind for some time, but crystallized as Young Xerxes and I were walking over.

“Look” I said, turning to face her. “With me going off and all, it does worry me a bit that in the event...something happens, the rabbits and quail and bees are going to be on their own. This is going to sound a bit awkward – indeed, very awkward – but would you consider...marrying me?”

I rushed to fill the silence. “Merely a matter of legal convenience of course. If I...do not make it back, I would at least rest easier knowing everything was settled. And what I have there should go to you and Statiera – you have been very good to me the last few months and...well...it has meant a lot.”

There, it was out.

The wonderful thing about being solitary and old, Lucilius, is that you can simply do things like this and if they go awry, you can merely blame it on being “mad as a March hare”. For better or worse, this was off my chest. If she said no, at least I had tried and I would write a will saying the same thing (although who administers such things these days is a question).

I was ready for a laugh, a sharp denial, even a shaking of the head. What I was not ready for was her taking my hand, looking at me, and saying “Yes”.

Truly, that was unexpected.

So apparently I am getting married tomorrow in what is now a dual ceremony. I assured Pompeia Paulina that my real intent was nothing but trying to care of the animals under my care and make sure that my things were put to the best use.

Really. Just a convenience and tying up the loose ends of my life.

I have almost convinced myself that I believe that. Judging from her reaction, there apparently is a great deal more under the surface than I am aware of.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:56 AM

    Oh, those kids, going off on madcap crazy adventures.

    The thing is, way back when, this was pretty much how it was. A lot of people did not have organized army with training facilities and transportation all set up ready to move the soldier Sometimes even weapons were supplied by the conscript themselves. You left behind what you had to fight others who wanted what you have. Clear and simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids and madcap adventures - it was ever so.

      My sense is that this was how it was as well, at least beyond the immediate circles of power and their dependencies - if for no other reason than those circles of power could not or would not intervene on their behalf.

      Delete
  2. Oh Seneca, surely you must know she has feelings for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbrgirl - Seneca, like many men, is apparently rather oblivious to such things.

      Delete
  3. Still waters run deep, and war is a known accelerant.

    I hope the plan has retreat and ambush plans to discourage chasers.

    I'd rather not attack seriously a semi-fortified locust base but seek to draw them out where we can shatter them. Just knowledge of what stops bullets makes the defender stronger than the attacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see, Michael. At this point Seneca knows no more than they are going.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:49 AM

    Wow, marriage. Best take the fight to them then defend home. Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly gives one an incentive. Knowing Seneca, I suspect it was not one he had initially factored in.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Let us discuss mobility and logistics a bit.

    Any functional vehicles in locust group? Riding horses or bicycles? Walking is about 1 miles per hour watching for trouble. Water 8 pounds a gallon and troops need about 2 gallons a day. So a day out and day back is 32 pounds in the pack. You have described the area as lacking large trees for a road block so I wonder how much surface water is available.

    That said what is the locust group water supply? More than a few castles have been reduced by pollution of their water supply before siege.

    If locust group is getting water from a creek a dead critter up stream And a little oil spill to disable most portable filters would be interesting.

    If you're in a fair fight your tactics suck.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, as this is an actual location, there is a fair amount of readily available surface water. Limited trees, as has been written of before. As to the rest - We will know when Seneca does.

      Delete
  6. Well, you've been thinking...and making decisions. Very interesting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank TM. Even Seneca and I can get around to it, given enough time and motivation.

      Delete
  7. Now this was a surprise, especially because it seems so spontaneous for Seneca. Getting all kinds of interesting. But with the Locusts apparently swarming, who could stay in cocoon mode for long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, Seneca seemed moderately surprised at this as well, but given his back history - for example, selling his house at an effective minimal profit rate to avoid a new tax burden or just up and moving far away - it is not completely out of character. Also, I suspect he meant it more as an offer to tie up loose ends. It looks like it was regarded as far more on the other side - as it should have been.

      Even the most reluctant person or creature, when truly pressed, will act.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!