Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Field Lilies And Cancer

When I started this blog, one commitment that has sort of crystallized over the years is that I try to provide original content (shaky as that may appear sometimes).  There are two reasons for that, the first being that writing regularly is a discipline like any other (and a good one for me), the second that something that vexes me is going to a blog to find a post that sends me somewhere else in order to understand the original post.

That said, occasionally there are posts that merit breaking my commitment.

Friend-Of-This-Blog Becki over at Field Lilies (who keeps a lovely general update of retired life empty-next life in what I would call the Greater Midwest) posted back in late April that she had been diagnosed with cancer (breast cancer specifically).

Cancer is one of those things that in some shape or form impacts most of us in the Western World, be it ourselves, our immediate family, or our friends. It is also one of the hardest things (at least for myself) to ask about:  it is one thing to ask in general if someone is feeling well, or perhaps if there is something one can do, but the actually deeper level of what someone is experiencing often just seems too personal for get into.

Thankfully...courageously (for once, a correct use of the word), Becki has decided to write about it.

She posted over the weekend a post on the actual process of receiving chemotherapy, something that for all of my years I do not think I have ever seen - not the clinical "this is chemo, this is what to expect" but rather the actual sensations and feelings of someone that is going through it.

Her post is here.  I commend it to your attention.

One of the things I continue to believe in for the InterWeb (in spite of my general distrust of most technology) is the fact that it allows us learn, both actual skills as well as experiences that we would not otherwise have the opportunity to participate in unless we went through them ourselves.  As Becki points out (and I hopefully second in relating my experiences with my parents), writing about it and posting it might help someone else down the line that has no idea what they are facing on a personal level.

If you have a prayer or good thought for her and husband as well, I am sure it would not be taken amiss.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:15 AM

    I will say a prayer for her and her family. It was brave to write about the experience. It gives the reader some idea of what sensations and what might be expected to happen. That was unselfish of her to do this and I hope it helped relieve herself of the experience as well. Sometimes, talking about it out loud to others helps you.

    I pray she makes a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really brave of her - I do not know that I have that sort of gumption in me. And Becki's comment that she was doing in hopes that it would help someone else was moving to me as well. It is a subject that touches so many of us.

      Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:43 AM

    It was quite the experience to read about how she's experienced the results of that first treatment. Good for Becki for sharing, the lady has guts TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Nylon12 and I am grateful for her sharing it.

      Delete
  3. Judging from my mom's experience with cancer, you aren't alone in finding it hard to talk about. I would say for the majority of people it is a difficult subject. I think mostly that is because it can be so deadly, unlike other ailments like the flu or even Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I wonder if the sense that it is (for many people) a short term or long term death sentence plays into that, combined with the fact that not everyone is in a place to be able to speak about it. I suspect a polite reluctance to cause pain is the truth for many of us.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, TB. I am touched that you mentioned me, and asked for prayers for us. Thank you so much. I've been absent here in recent months (as I know you understand), but yours remains a blog I don't want to lose touch with. Many of your posts have intrigued me, touched me, and challenged me. I'm so glad once upon a time I got brave enough to post a comment to let you know I was reading. That you have become what I consider among the cream of my "blogging friends" is just wonderful icing on the cake.

    I and Hub are doing well this week. His surgery was pretty textbook, so hopefully his recovery will be too. When the pain meds run out will be the real test. ;^) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your commentor's comments, and I want to add them to the "cream of cyber "friends". Over the years, I have found many of their comments to also intrigue, touch and challenge me. These today just feel good. :) Appreciation for all the kind, encouraging words is deeply felt.

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks Becki! It is always nice to know that something I have written has been meaningful to someone -after all, all writers want to be read.

      I really do have the best sorts of people reading the blog. They are unique to the point that is difficult to replicate on the InterWeb. Best of luck of course, and we will look for the next update when you feel up to it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this, TB. I am following her, but missed this post. I have a friend whose mother is receiving chemo for cancer so this was quite informative.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Linda. I figure stories such as Becki's need all the support they can get.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!