Sunday, July 16, 2023

"We Must Not Open Up Too Many Fronts"

 "People today have many distractions because they do not live simple lives.  They open too many fronts and are overwhelmed with worries.  I only try to take care of one or two things at a time, and then move on to something else.  I never try to do too many things at the same time.  Let's say that I am thinking of doing something.  I will have to finish it before I start thinking about doing something else.   When I cannot finish what I started, I feel uneasy.  Too many things going on at the same time can drive us crazy.  The alone could turn us into "schizophrenics.

....

When I lived in a coenobitic monastery, there was a monk, Old Isidore, who served together with me in the carpenter's shop.  He had no patience at all.  He would start working on a window.  Then he would get worried and stop.  Next he would start working on a door, only to get upset and quit.  After that, he would go up on the roof.  He used to stop in the middle of a job, and leave everything unfinished.  He cut some logs the wrong way, or cut them to the wrong size.  This is how hard work can break one's back without achieving anything in the end.

There are some people who have limited abilities and can only do one or two things at a time well.  When they get involved in too many jobs, they end up doing nothing right and drag others down along with them, too.  As much as possible, one should do one or two things only, do them right, and then with a clear mind and a rested body start working on the next job.  What spiritual work can be done with a scattered mind?  How would we remember Christ?"

- Saint Paisos the Athonite (1924-1994), With Pain And Love for Contemporary Man

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:27 AM

    Have a neighbor who could read this TB, might help lower his stress level. Late 30s, wife, two boys under six, pup not a year old, new house to them, job demands and he starts so many projects around the house....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I never really thought of it before I read this, but I am really the same way. One thing I struggle with constantly is not branching out in too many directions - and leaving things unfinished.

      Delete
  2. Unfinished business raises my stress levels. Which tends to make me less efficient in doing anything.

    Focusing on one important task makes for very good results.

    As proverbs says:

    New International Version
    Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings; they will not serve before officials of low rank.

    New Living Translation
    Do you see any truly competent workers? They will serve kings rather than working for ordinary people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It raises my stress levels as well, Michael.

      Interesting (and perhaps related) is that our society seems more stressed and a far higher expectation of "multi-tasking" is expected. Perhaps the two are related.

      Delete
  3. I’m similar. I feel spread thin when too many things are going on. I much prefer to get something crossed off my list before starting another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I can rapidly get out of control following rabbit trails that I never complete. It is something I am rally working on.

      Delete
  4. Dan, especially, has wrangled with this. Yet so much of what we do is defined by the weather, season, or availability of materials. Learning how to break long-term goals into smaller, more manageable projects helps. So does not starting new projects until the existing ones are completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that latter part is especially relevant. I am famous for starting new things. I have really been working on not starting anything new without closing something out (or formally discontinuing it). It is a struggle.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!