Saturday, July 22, 2023

Reaching For The Dead

 On Wednesday's post on the anniversary of the death of TB The Elder, Friend-Of-This-Blog Bob made the following observation:

"Dates affect people different ways.  My mother died first, and I remember on the one-year date, it really made no impression on me.  I called my dad, and he was much the same.  He acknowledged yes, it had been one year, but that was about it.  I think we both realized we didn't miss her more on that date than any other."

His comment, as I thought about it (and eventually responded), brought to mind a consideration of the finality of death and how we have come to view it.

Death, at least death viewed by cultures, is a funny thing.  I am no anthropologist, but it occurs to me that most cultures historically had some concept of an afterlife and that in some way or form, the personality we define as a "soul" continued on - be that as an individual or by being recycled.  Another thought that occurs to me was fairly universal is that death was a viewed as a sort of termination of the relationship, at least temporarily.  Communication was largely cut off from the dead except by things like necromancy (communicating with the dead) and special times where the spirit world and physical world of the living became very close, such as Samhain or Obon or even in more modern culture, Dios de Las Muertos. 

But underlying all of this was the sense that however it might be possible to communicate with them, it was some kind of effort.  There was a gulf, a wall, that could not easily be breached (if at all).

Thinking about how we view things in a modern sense, it strikes me we now see such things very differently.

In the modern world (and here I make very vague, generalizations about Western Culture), death is both something shocking and a revelation:  shocking in that for so many, we forget that death can happen literally at any moment (which was much more a perceived reality in times past) and that death creates a wall we cannot pierce. 

For the first part, we have come to accept that modern medicine and modern society keep death at bay in a way that it did not in days of yore.  That is true in the Western world although not so true in the developing world; once upon a time it was true everywhere (go look at an old cemetery and see how many young men and women died early).  For the second part, perhaps this is an outcome of our modern communication technology, where we assume that we can contact anyone at any time.  

And, perhaps, the fact that we - thanks to our entertainment and changing world view - see death as something other than what it really is:  an end, at least on this plane of existance.  

We have become used to people living a long time and being able to talk to them; the fact that this is not so - sometimes in shocking immediacy - seems to catch so many off their guard.  Reading of the death of young or old, too often some version of the words "I never thought this would happen" makes an appearance.

No matter what one may believe about the afterlife, I think it is fair to say that communication - meaningful communication, not "Guided by the memory of " or "What would X do?" - ends with end of life.  Would that we as a society paid attention to this more often.

And would that we, as individuals, sought to treat every communication as potentially the last one.

15 comments:

  1. Nylon126:20 AM

    Very few people think of your last sentence TB, at least until they experience the loss of loved one close to them. Tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, part of the genesis of this article was our recent training session with the headmaster of our sword school, which suggested we consider every draw and every sheathing as if it were our last one. Training took on a new significance - as did life.

      Delete
  2. Still grieving over the fresh wound that is my wife's death, I am grateful that I always tried to make "I love you" the last words I said when we parted. There will be a last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My condolences Warren. It sounds like you bore this in mind and in practical application.

      And yes - for all of us, with all people, there will be a last time.

      Delete
  3. I tend to two places in this conversation. I will see them again. Only, I will go to where they are. I trust what the Bible says about this.

    And I agree with N12 and WB. The last phone call dad made to me caught me worn out from a long biz trip. It was hard to concentrate and my wife told him I was really worn out, but would call back. I forgot to.... ten days later I was speaking at his funeral. I don't forego any opportunity to visit now. I may have to keep it short, but it will happen. Took a while to make peace with losing my last chance to tell him I loved him and thanks for not beating me to death as a kid. Lord knows I deserved it at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I was of the same two minds when I wrote the article with the same thoughts.

      I remember an episode of Home Improvement which had a similar plot to what you expressed: The wife was not feeling well and makes an excuse for not visiting her father, who then suddenly passes away.

      I have tried to bear this in mind and make the contact - because truly, we never do know.

      Delete
  4. While I am comforted by my faith, and believe that I'll be with him in Heaven, the only earthly solace I had when my son died was knowing that the last words we said to each other were "I love you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, sbrgirl. It is indeed true that Christians have this as a real comfort.

      Delete
  5. I have been fortunate to have been at the death of my loved ones and get to speak final words. But I know this won’t always be the case and so am always quick to forgive. I have learned to tell those still around that I love them before leaving any conversation. It wasn’t always easy for me but knowing life can be too short has forced me to learn. It has all brought comfort at the thought of death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a sound way to view things. I sometimes struggle with this as I allow the things of the moment to cloud the true reality of such things.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the thought that we never know when last we can tell someone that we love them.

    And I'm beginning to think there is much good in the Mexican tradition of Day of the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Day of the Dead is starting to stick with me as well, if for no other reason than it is a process to formally remember them. In some ways I would think it makes it easier.

      Delete
  7. Interesting thoughts, TB. We live in a world where "truth" has become subjective and malleable. We can speculate about "life after death," but it's one of those absolutes that can't be denied or explained away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have indeed become quite flippant about the afterlife. We (global we) seem to have some vague idea of "goodness" after life - except for people who are "bad" (by some definition) who are destined for "a non-good place". But the sliding scale on each is pretty immense, and there is no real idea of how we get in other than be a "good" or "bad" person.

      Given that we seem to have very little actual information about what that afterlife is actually like, one would think we might pay a little more attention, at least to belief systems that claim they know.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the shout-out, TB. Good advice about communication. I am trying to be careful and thoughtful with my words, and to listen more. I have a terrible habit of thinking of how I am going to respond rather than fully listening to the person I'm engaged with.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!