Saturday, July 08, 2023

On Starting A New Job

The first week of the new job is done, more or less.

Starting a new job is almost always a predictable experience, at least in my field.  It will start with introductory training - here is the facility, here is where the coffee is, here is your desk - followed by a series of meetings on specific training items:  safety, IT, the basics of the Quality system.   Likely a meeting with one's team, if one has one.

And then, one is left in front of the computer.

It is an odd sort of thing.  You are almost an isolated incident in the midst of people that are already engaged and going about their business.  You start grinding through the documents (usually Standard Operating Procedures in my industry) with some hope of getting some understanding of the systems (which can be hard, as you have no understanding of the use of them and the linkages between them) as a babble of conversation goes on around you about subjects which you know nothing about (but soon will shortly). 

There is always some awkwardness if you are an introvert as I am.  You never really quite fit in at lunch facilities if they have one.  You look for a coffee cup (if you have not brought your own) without looking like you are looking for a coffee cup.  People introduce themselves to you - or do not; people and companies are different.

The second day seems like the first, except there tend to be more meetings and less reading.  E-mails start to flow in with more regularity as well.  You begin to apply good practices to organizing your e-mails because you learned - last company - that if you do not start organizing from the beginning, they will become a mess in relatively short order.

By the third day you are likely an old hand:  you confidently stride in the door in the morning and fire up the computer, getting the cup of morning coffee in your mug (as you have finally brought one), greeting people by name or by smile.  The e-mails are reviewed as the file folders for them grow.  Likely you have completed the bulk of your initial reading and are making notes on what needs to change and what your goals over the next few months and years will be.

The specifics change, of course - for example at my new employer, they actually have snacks and a drink refrigerator, so I am learning what there is available (and pacing myself - I will eat my own weight in snacks, given the opportunity - but in general it is the same, as it has been for the last 25 years. 

Is it somewhat awkward?  For me, it always is.  But at least it is awkward in a way that I have learned to live with and manage.  I have now done this enough that I know we will move through to actually productivity quickly enough.

That, and for the first time ever, this could potentially be my last "new" gig.  And that brings a certain joy to the situation all of its own.

12 comments:

  1. Nylon125:48 AM

    Yah, establishing a routine as the "new guy" on the block, never had to concern myself with a coffee cup since I never drank the stuff......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is odd Nylon12. Companies handle introductions different ways. Some do actual "meeting events" - but not this one. I have met people almost accidentally.

      Delete
  2. Coffee is the social lubricant in every "shop" I worked in.

    I generally looked around at first as not to disturb the local ecosystem and became the coffee pot cleaner. Friendly helpful folks generally fit in well.

    Can you keep your foot in the door of the grocery store? Have you made contacts with local chicken and pig folks who would be grateful for free critter food.

    One hand washes the other I find true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, your experience matches mine - learn to fill the empty coffee pot, clean up, and always be kind to the admin assistant and all will be well?

      My intent is to keep the grocery store job as long as I can. I am still tweaking my schedule to make sure I can manage both jobs - likely I will go to two evenings and Saturday afternoon.

      Interestingly, we do not have a ton of culls yet. I may try to see if I can bring them home for my compost.

      Delete
  3. Brother, that is always a weird experience. If there is anyone that I reckon would make it seem easy due to being well organized, it's you.

    At the TV station, I had an Excedrin headache #51 my first day. The engineering was multiples more complex than FM/AM stations. But, soon enough, I was doing my work with confidence. At the last gig, I sent an "email" that actually was to a bulletin board. Thought I was being funny, but wound up with a dozen eggs on my face. Those type of errors can be disconcerting. I lived it down, and eventually earned my place as a good hand.

    Go Forth and Prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is never easy, STxAR. Fortunately everyone is very busy and it is easy to just fit in by taking on additional tasks.

      No major errors yet, but it will happen eventually. It always does.

      Delete
  4. Filthie12:52 PM

    Being an introvert and awkward is okay, TB. I almost got into fisticuffs with my sales manager because he was adamant that we needed to be in front of our customers 24/7/365. One of my biggest accounts was through a guy that would make you look like a lewd exhibitionist!😂

    He was great over the email, sometimes on the phone, but other than that he was a total autistic sperg! It was great - he placed his orders by fax and email and I made sure he got what he needed and left the donuts and give-aways at the front or in the shipping dept. But my idiot national sales manager insisted on seeing him personally and went barging in to talk with him…and the next day I got a blunt e-mail telling me that if that ever happened again, he’d close his account with us. I forwarded that email to the national sales manager and the president and told them I would not put up with a repeat performance like that either…HAR HAR HAR!😂

    Introverts rule, far as I’m concerned. Can’t ask for better customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, that is my preference as well. I know there are some people - customers and managers - that really desire that face time. I am not one of the people.

      Hopefully the national sales manager was duly chastened and managed things accordingly.

      Delete
  5. I think this is a great read, TB. I am very happy for you.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I think I ended up in a very good place.

      Delete
  6. Wait until the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, hopefully with some forethought this time, the next adventure will be a completely different animal indeed.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!