Sunday, November 06, 2022

On The Babylonian Exile

 As I am working through my "Read The Bible" in a year - something I have been doing for 15 years or more - I find myself this week in the book of Jeremiah.

Jeremiah, for those who may not know, is an Old Testament Prophet who was active in the latter part of the of Kingdom Judah to its capture and dissolution by second Babylonian Empire, from 625 B.C. to at least 570 B.C. or even 561 B.C. During this time the Kingdom of Judah tried to rebel against Babylon, but was first conquered and then destroyed in 586 B.C.  The period after the destruction, when thousands over a multi-year period were relocated to Babylon, is known as "The Babylonian Captivity" and in many ways represents a watershed in Jewish history.

Jeremiah had a pretty rough go of things, as prophets who are prophesying the end of their state often do.  His message changes as the situation becomes worse, moving from "Hey - Get right with God and He will preserve the Kingdom" to "Hey - submit to the Babylonian Empire and stay in the Kingdom" to "Hey - Pray for the peace of the land you have been transported to (because you are not coming back)." During his life he was beaten, put in stocks, put into a cistern sinking into the mud, and generally not taken seriously and spoken badly of.  Not quite the "self-actualizing life" people hope for when they are young.

During this week's reading, I was in Chapters 27 to 29, where Jeremiah first tells the nations around Judah - Edom, Moab, Ammon, Tyre, Sidon - that the best thing for them to do is to submit to the rising power of Babylon ("I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon..." (27:9)).  The same advice he gave to then reigning King of Judah (Zedekiah) - for which, in Chapter 28, he is roundly mocked by another "prophet" who proclaims exactly the opposite, that in two years all will be restored (guess how that worked out?).  Finally, in Chapter 29, Jeremiah writes a letter to the exiles already in Babylon, telling them effectively to put down roots, plan to be there for a while as a captive people, and pray/do all they can for the prosperity of the Babylonian Empire, because in that Empire at the current time is their prosperity - and that at some point in the future, God will return them to land of Judah.

"Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all who were carried away captive, whom I has caused to be carried away from Jerusalem to Babylon:

Build houses and dwell in them; plant gardens and eat their fruit.  
Take wives and beget sons and daughters;
and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, so that they may bear sons and daughters, that they may be increased there, and not diminished.
And seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you will have peace.
For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel:  Do not let your prophets and your diviners who are in your midst deceive you, nor listen to your dreams which you cause to be dreamed.
For they prophesy falsely to you in My name; I have not sent them, says the Lord.

For thus says the Lord:  After seventy years are completed at Babylon, I will visit you and perform My good word toward you and cause you to return to this place.  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

(Jeremiah 29: 4-11, NKJV)

This really struck me when I read it.

Imagine you are an one of the Jewish exiles in Babylon.  You have already had the experience of being conquered, sorted, marching across the desert, and resettled.  You have tried to make a go of it but always in the back of your mind is the thought of going back to Jerusalem, where home is and the presence of God physically manifests itself.  There is anticipation due to prophets and seers that this will be the case.

And then, from the one prophet that actually has an impeccable track record, comes the actual news:  You are here for duration.  Build a life there with the anticipation that you will be staying there for a while - in fact, not only build a life there, but pray for your conqueror and the pagan people in which you will live - to pray for their destruction is to pray for your own destruction.  "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem" calls the Psalmist, temporarily replaced by "Pray for the peace of Babylon".  Yes, eventually you will go back - but realistically your grandchildren, not you. 

And then, as a coda to that thought "I will give you a future and hope".

What a hard saying.

I do not know why this reached out to me the way it did, but it made me sit and think about it for long after I finished my reading for the morning (thus, the post).  I am predicting precisely nothing (so do not read anything into it; I am neither the prophet nor the son of a prophet) and there are no allegories or current events to be gleaned from this post.  I was just struck by what that must have sounded like to everyone who received Jeremiah's message and was a follower of God: to those remaining in Jerusalem the knowledge that they would either be killed or transferred (imagine taking your family out past the city walls during the siege, the name calling and bitter hate), for those in Babylon the injunction that likely none of them were ever going back, only their grandchildren and beyond.  Make the best of the situation, be stellar citizens, and prepare for a day that most of you will never live to see.

It troubles me to read and then write on it.  It must have troubled at least some of them.

What a test of faith in God.  Other than the prophet Ezekiel, a contemporary, we hear little of the Jews in Babylon until the books of Nehemiah and Ezra, which document the Jewish return to Jerusalem.  Did God speak during that time through a prophet? We have no record of it.  What would it be like to have a promise that one could cling to 30 years in?  50 years in?  When the Babylonian Empire still essentially flourished, how did they manage their faith?

 We know that they managed their faith because Jews did return to Jerusalem following the conquest of Babylon by the Medio-Persian Empire under Cyrus the Great and there were some that returned.  Ezra reports that when the first cornerstone of the Second Temple was laid, the people shouted for joy except for the old men who remembered what First Temple had looked like in all its glory; these wept.

Why this passage?  I have no idea.  Like most of my writing, I suspect it is largely for myself.  There is a lesson here, a lesson I too often turn my own eyes away from:  God's purpose in this life will, ultimately, be determined by Him.  My job is to accept it, all of it - even the hard parts that sometimes literally sound counterintuitive to my sensibilities.


15 comments:

  1. I am prone to misunderstanding you, TB, but would I be correct that while you are not prophesizing or making predictions - that you see parallels with that past and our present?

    If so.. I think I might disagree. What faced the Hebrews in Babylon has no parallel in what faces us today. Babylon was a functional state, with rules, laws, social cohesion, and at least some degree of public trust which would allow the hebrews to coexist with them - albeit as slaves. The guys that face us today have nothing. Everyday more and more of them are more brazen about saying they hate you, they want to kill you and take your stuff. Or that you should be ashamed of your skin and gender and hate yourself because of it.

    What kind of state would that be to live in? Could you raise kids and build a life with people that think and live like that? Would your Maker want you to? If so - I'm sorry, but I will need to see the writing on the wall or some credible messenger with that one.

    I am not the biblical expert you are, but... from the way it looks to me, the hebrews often fought to defend themselves and when their cause was just, God sided with them.

    Uncle Bob said years ago that God basically sent the jews to wandering the desert for all those years to kill off and winnow out the ones that were deliberately disobedient, intentionally stupid and lawful. (I dunno if I believe that; but it is an entertaining thought if nothing else).

    I am almost certainly full of beans but I don't think our Maker is walking with us right now. I wonder if he expects better of us? And for us to do something meaningful about it?

    Not trying to be a dink or start a fight - but I have spent far too much of my life as a devil's advocate I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen - The difference, perhaps, is that while you are correct that Babylon had a functioning society, what was also true is that they expected conformance to the law and culture of the land - to our good friend STxAR's point below, Daniel and his friends were expected to conform to Babylonian standards (at least initially). The other point, I suppose, is that God called the entire society of Judah to repent, not just the non-religious or religious - in fact, an argument could be made that the religious had already been taken and moved to Babylon.

      I am not prophesying or predicting anything - at least, not that I am consciously aware of. What, at least for me, it is making me ask is what would it be like to have been at that time - or what would be like, today, if a country who felt itself to be in the right was suddenly put under the power of another? Were we in the situation of Judah, how would we feel?

      Delete
  2. Daniel was the local prophet in Babylon during the captivity. He's the one that showed Cyrus that Jeremiah wrote of him by name before he was born. I think there were several of the minor prophets are in that same time frame of the captivity.

    Jeremiah was given a hard road, to prophesy to people who would reject him and God's message he brought. God told him not to fear them and tell them the truth anyway.

    I was just saying yesterday, I wonder if it's for the sake of the remnant of believers in the US, that God hasn't completely wiped us out. We are no different now, broadly speaking, than the Canaanites were in Exodus and Joshua. I wonder sometimes if God will make the land spew us out of it...

    But your main point, to pray for the enemy while you're a captive; to remain true to purpose even though you won't see the fruit; to invest the future generations with the knowledge of the past; to train them to return, what a hard message. But also, what a great responsibility. I think of the WW2 veterans that came home with combat experience, and passed it on to future warriors. Doubtless saving lives and hastening the end. The captives were vital links in the chain. Just because things were hard didn't obviate their unique place. Keep your eyes on the prize, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right STxAR, of course. Completely spaced on Daniel.

      One thing I have found remarkable is that the estimated population of believers in China is at or slightly more than the population of the United States - yet somehow so many here feel as if we are "the Remnant" and others are not. What if God were suddenly to bless China - admittedly a non-Christian government that is doubling down on its commitment to Communism and atheism - on account of those believers, to the detriment of the U.S.? What would that look like? How would that feel?

      You are right; it was a great responsibility then and now.

      Delete
    2. Have slightly updated to include Daniel.

      Delete
    3. RE: remnant. I only meant here in the CONUS. This place is unique in all the world, and it's not yielding it's plenty anymore. That was a pretty obvious "judgment" in Israel. We just are too ignorant as a nation of our history, our birthright and inheritance to understand what we've done by turning our back on God Himself. I feel that Romans 1 is in full effect. Start with verse 18 and read to the end. It's a mirror of 2022 America....

      Delete
    4. STxAR - I think the Israelites were just as oblivious, elsewise God would not have sent so many prophets, pretty much with the same message.

      Delete
  3. God is reaching out to all of us, TB. The fact that you're relating to Jeremiah's words is telling you that you pretty much see the same thing happening in our country. People are walking away from God, openly mocking Him, and sacrificing their children to their new objects of worship. They may not be sacrificing them by burning them as they were in Jeremiah's time, but it's destructive nonetheless.

    The Holy Spirit is giving you insight, TB... Face it; our very "leaders" are doing all they can to weaken our country and indoctrinate our young in the ways of their false gods, while countries like China are getting stronger by the day... Film at eleven...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, the one thing that struck me as I read the passage was that Israel did not realize they had an issue until the Babylonians were on their doorstep. They were so out of touch with God that they felt He was "with them", no matter the fact they were not adhering to His Word. One recalls the days of King Josiah, where the Book of the Testimony was found and the way the passage reads, it was if they had read it for the first time, so lost were the people.

      Delete
    2. I shudder when contemplating in just WHAT reality people thought they were close to God when setting their children on fire as sacrifices to their "strange gods!!!" Then again... look at what OUR country's kids are being taught...

      Delete
    3. Pete, I suppose the pagan thought process was that they were sacrificing that which was most precious to them. I do not claim to endorse or understand that thought, just note it.

      Delete
  4. I've thought of this concept recently.
    And broadcast it.
    Many Christians refrains from politics and the culture.
    This passage says, "You're gonna be here a while. Make the best of it.
    Be salt and light. Contribute."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have read the passage for many many years and it has never hit me like this before. I do like your interpretation.

      Delete
  5. "You are where you is. Make the most of it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as much as we like to believe it and encourage our children in it, we do not always get the choice of where we will be.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!