Sunday, November 20, 2022

A Visit With Mom - November 2022

 While it appears I have not updated here my visits with my mother since July of this year, they have been going on.

The visits post-July remain much as they ever have.  There is a routine to them almost now:  I call ahead around 1030 on a Sunday or the following Saturday (depending on flight times) to get there after 11 AM, which is post lunch for them.  I punch myself in through the gate and open to door to get someone's attention.  They will respond - they know I am coming and a number of the "regular" aides recognize me - and I will go out and pull a chair into the shade or sun, depending on the weather, and wait.  

They will help Mom on out and get her into the chair, let us know to have a nice visit and "take all the time you need", and leave us to our conversations.

Sometimes it is just myself and sometimes my sister meets me there.  We will comment on the weather, what holiday is coming up, and then I will start to run down the list of family events.  I have to remind myself to give context - names and relationships to me and her make more sense than just names.  She listens, nods, expresses surprise when things like how close someone is to graduation is and things like that.  After a while the conversation lags a bit - even with a monthly visit, we are done in about 20 minutes.  Sometimes my sister and I will just start talking about something tangential and Mom will just sit and listen.

She is still herself, however.  She is always happy to see us, even if she seems to have no idea who we are.  And she will not ever say she is uncomfortable: for example, last month was a bit coolish and while she did not say she was cold, she did say "Why do we not go inside?" - which was her way of saying she was cold.  We laughed, told her it was fine - we were on our way out anyway.

This month's visit (this last Friday) saw a sunny but cold November morning and so the owners very kindly offered to let us visit inside.  I sat across from Mom as they helped her into her chair and put a blanket over her lap. 

As she settled in I talked with R the owner of the facility.  Mom's hair was much shorter; apparently she had been playing with it a great deal. Other than that, her health was fine and she was eating well (they take such good care of her there).   With that, she left us to talk,

I asked Mom how she was doing and she said fine.  Then she looked at me and said "You look like and sound like my son.  I think he is around here somewhere".

This is the first time she has indicated she remembered me - at least - at all in a long time.

I laughed, told her "he must be an outstanding fellow then", and carried on with the update.  She responded as she always did as I shared that Thanksgiving was coming up, what the grandchildren were up to, and that I was taking some time off and a trip soon.  The conversation moved right along with pictures on my phone until, about the usual length of time, it was done.

I said goodbye as I helped her up and the caregiver came and assisted her back to the main living area.  On my way out, R let me know that Mom had developed the trait of walking around a lot, which was new - but there is another woman, also with Alzheimer's, who does the same thing, so they walked around together.   It was a new behavior.  

I got back in the truck and teared up.  It is one thing to visit someone you loved and they have no memory of you at all.  It is another to suddenly find they remember you, even if it is not the you right in front of them.

18 comments:

  1. Nylon127:51 AM

    It's a tough situation when the mind doesn't work like it used to. Hang in there TB, your Mom and your family are in the prayer rotation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nylon12. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. It's good to hear about your mom. I'd wondered how the visits were going, especially after your dad was gathered to his people. I remember a few visits with my grandma like that. The pathways light up and there is some kind of recognition. I took it as a small gift from God. Perhaps it's a reward, maybe, for your continued care for her.

    God bless you real good, TB. Happy Thanksgiving. Your parents raised a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I never go in with any expectations any more and thus when something like this happens, I can simply be truly grateful.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, friend.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:18 AM

    Your visit sounds like a good time was had. I am glad to hear she still has memories of you. StxAR is right - your attention in keeping up with your Mom is being rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are always a good time, but this one was better than most. Hopefully you are right and it is making a difference.

      Delete
  4. My wife's mother still remembers my wife, and we can enjoy that as long as it lasts.
    And I'm rolling your mention of learning new behaviors over in my mind.
    The experience so far is that it all downhill and the memory jug is slowly draining away.
    But there are new experiences in the life's of Alzheimer's sufferers and the world can still be new and good for them.
    Thank you again for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - I wonder (I am sure that somewhere out there, there is research) how it is perceived by those we visit. Does the remembering bring them joy? Sorrow? Do they even perceive, as you say, that the things are draining away? Hopefully it is simply a good feeling of remembering.

      And you are welcome. As it turns out, once you bring something up it is amazing how many people are going through the same thing.

      Delete
  5. TB that was very touching! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rain. I sometimes wonder, in the back of my mind, if the visits really still make a difference. It seems that they do.

      Delete
    2. I think they definitely make a difference TB. Not just for her but for you as well. You never know if during a moment when she's alone, she will recall you being there and visiting and it'll bring her so much joy. ☺

      Delete
    3. I certainly hope so, Rain. And you are right - they help me, anyway.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you had a nice visit. And like Rain stated, you never know.

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobo, they are always good visits. Some, like this, are somehow better than others.

      A happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  7. I've been very fortunate to not experience what you have. I simply can't imagine how tough it is to not connect on the simple thing of knowing each other. You have my sympathies just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed.

      It is odd, really - like many things about the last few years, this was something that we could see coming and simply adjusted to it. It would be one thing if we woke up tomorrow and suddenly she had forgotten us. In this case, she has slowly been forgetting us for years, so it is something that while, certainly not pleasant, does not hit with quite the same emotional punch.

      Delete
  8. I remember the last time Pa Wilder recognized me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I thought I remembered the last time. But I am fortunate in that I not get a new memory.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!