Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Going Of TB The Elder

 TB The Elder is gone.

He slipped away from us last night.  My brother in law The Outdoorsman called in a voice I have only heard him use two times before, and only upon death.  We know nothing at this point, other than what the home told us:  he just stopped breathing.

I was headed out to Old Home this weekend on Thursday anyway, so in that sense I was already on my way. It will just not be the visit I expected it to be.

Nighean Bhan said it best:  It was not a surprise, but a shock none the less.

I am sure that I will have more to say on the matter at some point - as I write this, it has been less than two hours since I was notified.  

In a lot of ways, he was perhaps not the reason this blog continued to be written, but he was a reason to sustain it because in writing it, I wrote of my life to him in a way I was not otherwise able to share with him.  In that sense, he continues to live through the writings here.

I do not have great deal to offer at the moment, so in lieu of something more deep or personal, I can only offer Ulysses by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Mayhap my father has touched The Happy Isles of Heaven.  Certainly his soul is now free of a body that would no longer co-operate with him the way he would have wanted.

Ulysses

Through scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
Vext the dim sea. I am become a name;
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known—cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments,
Myself not least, but honored of them all,—
And drunk delight of battle with my peers,
Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy.
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough
Gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!
As though to breathe were life! Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains; but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things; and vile it were
For some three suns to store and hoard myself,
And this gray spirit yearning in desire
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.


This is my son, mine own Telemachus,
To whom I leave the scepter and the isle,
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfill
This labor, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and through soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centered in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.


There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail;
There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toiled, and wrought, and thought with me,
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
Free hearts, free foreheads—you and I are old;
Old age hath yet his honor and his toil.
Death closes all; but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with gods.
The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;
The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs; the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.


45 comments:

  1. Oh TB, even unexpected, it's still profoundly sad news. I'm so sorry to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. To be honest, this was the call I think we had expected to get and how things were supposed to end, not the last 1.5 years. That said, everything happens for a reason, although I fairly sure this time the reason for us, not him.

      I am grateful that for the first time since at leas 2015, he no longer has to worry about my mother or face the his mind and body not being the way he needed them to be. My father of 2019 would not have liked the last year.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:10 AM

    Our condolences for you and your family. Losing the 1st parent when unexpected was particularly tough on me. Dad passed away from a heart attack in his back yard in 1997, Mom passed away in 2018. Her passing was expected, pulmonary fibrosis being particularly cruel.

    Prayers for you, your family and friends. That poem was a nice tribute for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. This was in some ways anticipated. but it comes as a shock none the less. It is odd to me to think I will go back this Friday only to never see him again.

      I am especially sorry for your mother. I worked at a company that had an IPF product and am well aware of the devastating disease that it is.

      Delete
  3. Nylon126:09 AM

    My most sincere condolences to you and your family TB. He is at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12. He was the last of his generation, so the circle is again unbroken.

      Delete
  4. We are sorry for your loss.

    As you said, "....It was not a surprise, but a shock none the less."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. I do not suppose one is ever ready.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:53 AM

    How’s your mom and Sis holding up TB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not specifically talked with my sister yet except by text, although I am sure I will today. I am not sure about my mother, although we are not always sure how much she knows it is him.

      (Sorry. Tried to write in the past tense there. Did not work.)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:58 AM

    IIt is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.
    Ecclesiastes 7:2

    Though I’m only associated with your blog as of late I pray ffor you and your loved ones as you pass through this time. I that verse speaks such Truth To me TB.

    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FnB. It is a stark reminder of the swiftness of life and its end for all of us. I am grateful for the fact that at least for him, he is himself again and with his family.

      Delete
  7. Condolences TB. Somewhere, I hear the pipes playing a lament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarge. He had ultimately asked to be interred at a national cemetery not terribly far from Old Home, so while we may not get pipes, we will definitely get a bugle.

      Delete
  8. My condolences on your profound loss. As we Catholics tend to say at such news, may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed. To be honest, it is a profound loss for which I am just on the edges of still. To be honest, I am sure he is resting in peace, finally.

      Delete
  9. May God's own comfort be yours during this time, TB. I will lift a glass to his memory tonight. He was a faithful steward. Thank you for introducing him to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR. It is a pity the two of you could not meet here, but hopefully someday. You would have had a lot to talk about.

      Delete
  10. Condolences, TB. Sounds so very similar to my mom in May.
    Safe trip. God's comfort and blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences.
    My own father has been gone 13 years and nearly every day I tell him I love him and miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. He will very much be missed.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous9:52 AM

    So sad that this time has come but yes, he is in a better place now. I, somewhat lapsed Catholic that I am, believe that our guardian angels are in fact our loved ones who have died and gone on before us and now look down and watch over us. Now your father is up there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have nothing but the belief that my father is now reunited with his family as well and gets to revel, as it were, both in that reunion and how things are going here in a way he could not before.

      Delete
  13. I am so sorry for your loss TB. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I mourn with you, TB...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pete. There is a void that will never quite been filled again.

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and your family have my deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My deepest sympathies, TB, from a regular reader, but very occasional commentor.

    DJBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJBH - Thank very much, and for honoring my blog by reading it.

      Delete
  18. May God's grace, and all the good memories, comfort you and sustain you. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bob. We are fortunate in that we have many, many years of good memories to look back on.

      Delete
  19. Anonymous4:33 AM

    I am deeply saddened to read this news. My deepest sympathies to you and your family TB.

    KA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much KA. They are much appreciated.

      Delete
  20. polimath5:05 PM

    Sorry for your loss TB. No words really comfort but I found these to ring true. "Life has a beginning, a middle and an end."
    Praying for you and yours as you grieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Polimath. In one sense it is very true. We knew this day was coming and to the greatest extent possible, I suppose we were prepared. But perhaps you can never really prepare.

      Delete
  21. My condolences to you and your family, TB. You and yours are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:26 PM

    Just read this. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. He has very much left a hole in my life.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!