Monday, July 11, 2022

Interview And A Request

 So tomorrow I have an interview.

This was not an interview that I had sought out.  It was not even specifically an interview I requested, and I certainly was not in a place where I was sincerely looking.  And yet, I have an interview on Tuesday.

It all started innocuously enough:  a former coworker reached out with a position (unnamed) in Quality.  I thanked her, but was not really that interested in going back and had suggested a shared colleague who might be.  It turns out the position was slightly more higher up than she had originally said, that of executive management.

I then had a second former colleague reach out.  She is on the executive management team as well (so that is a plus) and asked again if I was interested.  She sent me the job description.  It was in fact in my former realm of Quality, in a different line of products (but one I have done previously). I asked her about my relative lack of experience compared to what was listed.  She assured me that this was likely not an issue - partially, it sounds like, due to the fact that they have had significant issues filling the position.  Would I be willing to send my resume along for review by the CEO?

To be fair, it is not the first time in my life or career that being the second choice would be a bad thing.  So I sent it along without any real hope of hearing anything.

One day slid to one week, one week to two weeks.  I was surprised by the fact that suddenly I was checking my e-mail on a regular basis specifically looking for a response.  It was almost as if although I had convinced myself I was very much not interested in a new job,  I very much was.

Time rolled by - until an e-mail came last week.  Would I available for an interview with the CEO?

I found myself in the position that I have advised more than one former coworker on: If someone is willing to talk, always say yes.  You never know what will happen.

If you are the sort inclined to prayer, or good thoughts, or simply verbal "Go get them", I would ask for any and all of those for the interview.  I have literally no anticipation going into this that it will result in anything - not that I doubt that I can do the job (it would be a stretch, but I can) as much as I would like to best - after all, it has been six years since I interviewed last - as well as getting a sense of if this is really the time for me to make a change and if so, would this be the right opportunity.

I am reconciled to the fact that - barring a miracle - I will likely spend a great many more years working.  That said, I want to continue to push myself forward, not just continue to coast.

Thank you so much in advance, and I will certainly report out anything that comes out of it.

21 comments:

  1. Absolutely, you have my prayers. Sounds like you're wanting clear discernment, which is always a good thing to pray for. And grace to accept the outcome. I confess I grinned when you mentioned now taking your own advice. It's good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. What I certainly do not want is to "jump" merely to jump.

      And yes, I am usually the last one to take my own advice, which I free dispense to others. Does it mean I do not mean the original recommendation, or that I just do not trust myself?

      Delete
  2. I had an opportunity about a year ago to take over a new division for a construction company. I had decades of experience in the work; both hands on and in management. I declined the offer. I knew my heart wasn't in doing what the job required, and that attitude would have been disastrous.

    You never know what you'll encounter, except the current employee is far different than those of only a few years back. I didn't have the patience to adapt, but if you do, you might find a lucrative opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, thank you for sharing your experience. That is exactly part of why I asking for the prayers and input. The environment of the world has changed a lot since I interviewed in 2016 in all kinds of ways. What I truly hope is that in the event it is clearly not a fit, I have the grace and wisdom as you did to say no.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:25 AM

    I hope it all works out for the best for all parties. Saying 'yes' may gain you some rewards. You have stated in the past being a little disappointed in your present situation - this could be an opportunity for a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and that is exactly what I am thinking as well. In my line of work, 6 years is a long time to be at a single employer. And sometimes a fresh start is exactly what I need to get me enthused about something.

      Delete
  4. I have never been inclined to believe that I was fated for things in my life. I have always believed that they came about based upon my decisions, good or bad, and just happened. But with my work life, all those decisions that have been made have been extremely fortunate in my life despite the limited information and sometimes gut feeling that I made them on. My understanding of calculating odds says this just shouldn't be so. Perhaps fate is there and I'm just blind to it. Good luck tomorrow and perhaps fate has other plans for your career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I do not specifically believe in fate - except that when something seems fated to happen, it happens without a hitch. In my experience at least, I credit God. It has always seemed that - at least in my career - something became available precisely at the moment I needed it to, not wanted it to. We will see if this works out to be one of those times.

      Delete
  5. Nylon126:19 AM

    CEO interview eh TB? Well.......prayers will be out for you. There are times when good things happen unlooked for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12 - to be fair, I think it is a very small company, so an interview with the CEO is not that surprising - although I can think of only one other time this has happened.

      Delete
  6. On it brother. Sic 'em tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God moves in mysterious ways. This may be a door He is opening. The best to you, TB.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do not know if it is a door, but there was continued knocking after my initial response. So I at least decided to see if it was a door. And thank you.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Most assuredly praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seven years ago, I had an opportunity to "go back" to the successor company of the one I had left ten years earlier. I never in a million years would have thought it would happen, and the last thing I wanted to do was go through the interview process. But I did. I knew the day of the interviews it was a perfect fit. A month later I was there, and I hope to retire in 2-3 years. Sometimes it's those things we are not looking for that end up being the sweetest gifts. That was my situation, and it might not be yours, but I certainly wish you the best in the process and will be praying for clear direction for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I have been at this long enough to know to expect the unexpected, so that is not a surprising story - in my industry, it really is rather small and we do tend to run into each other in odd places over the years. Thank you for sharing the story.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!