Sunday, July 31, 2022

2022 PA DE MD: Philadelphia

Traveling on from Valley Forge, we headed to the place where the writing all happened.  It is now collected under the heading of Independence National Historical Park.

Independence Hall:


This was the old State Court.  Note how the set up:  judge seats, lawyers tables - are similar to our modern courts:

If you know your American paintings, you will recognize following room:  it is the room that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed in.  


All but one piece of the furniture is period correct but not original.  The one piece that is original is the chair you see at the front, where Washington sat.


This is the Syng inkstand, used to sign the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution.  Along with the George Washington Chair, Independence Hall itself, and the Constitution, it is one of the few original surviving items.

Just across the courtyard from Independence Hall is the original Congressional Chamber:


And Senate:


Just off the Senate chambers are pictures of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette:




Government offices in the building.  I believe the second one was the Library of Congress. It has expanded a bit...

The Liberty Bell:



Just down the street was Benjamin Franklin's grave:




And Betsy Ross' house and grave.




 I have to admit, I surprisingly enjoyed this visit.  It was good to be at the place where it all happened.  Inspiring, one might say.

13 comments:

  1. Currently, I'm reading Bill O'Reilly's Killing England, so it's interesting to take another look at these places.

    I can't help but wonder what the men of that time would think about where the country is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it certainly has given me pause to reconsider another entire area I need to add to my reading list (as if I have more room on my bookshelves).

      I suspect they would - at least - be shocked - as anyone who makes decisions based on their times and cannot foresee where things will go. Much like the Mensheviks could not have foreseen The Holodomor.

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad you enjoyed our city and its history.
    There truly is so much history in the immediate area and I wonder if locals like us don't really see it because we are immersed in it.

    It's a different feeling when you are standing the actual places were history was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it was very enjoyable.

      I think the "immersed in history to the point of being blaise about it" is not just an issue there. It is everywhere. Both in New Home and in Old Home, I am often the same way. People will suggest "Hey, let us to go X" and I will be "Wow? Is that here? I had no idea."

      Delete
  3. Brings back memories of my visit and I own almost all the same photographs. My blogger post had a picture of me rubbing the newel post at the bottom of the stairs though where I figured countless historical statesmen rested their hands as the descended or ascended the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nylon127:01 AM

    Near the Senate chambers paintings of the last French King and Queen and Turcot's quote, mighty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it was interesting what they chose to put right outside of the chamber indeed.

      Delete
  5. I can imagine the feeling that must have been in those rooms, TB. :)
    Thanks for sharing our history with us.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it always gives me a bit of a chill when I realize I am in the same place as the history I have read about. It makes it real in a very unique way.

      Delete
  6. I went there on a work trip. Good times. Wonder why they haven't torn it down because, "reasons".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, they had a surprisingly heavy police presence there. Also, it is a National Park, and from my brief interactions, the National Park Service does not take kindly to interfering/destroying things in their care.

      Delete
  7. These pictures make me wish we'd gone to Philadelphia on our trip to Pennsylvania. I think we must have been so focused on the Civil War, it didn't make sense to mix in the Revolutionary War. I also imagine in our 20's we thought we'd make it out there again long before now. I loved reading the quotes on the marker near Benjamin Franklin's grave. I think I especially love Turgot's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, like you, I have often intended to get back to places to see other things, but have come to understand (at least for myself) that it is just as likely I will never get back. That said, I am trying to work harder to do as much as I can when I am some place, even if I am home.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!