Tuesday, July 26, 2022

2022 PA DE MD: The Return

It is said - or rather paraphrased by C.S. Lewis - that dwelling on grief too much is not good for the soul.  Prior to my father's passing (literally the day before) The Ravishing Mrs. TB and I returned from a wonderful 5 day vacation in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland.  It was a part of the country I had never really been to before.  Sites seen included:

The Brandywine Battlefield (Chadd's Ford, PA):



Brandywine Conservancy and Museum (Chadd's Ford, PA - NC Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth all have originals here):



Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, PA):



Valley Forge (Valley Forge, PA):



Independence Hall and The Liberty Bell (Philadelphia, PA):






Fort Delaware (Delaware City, DE):



Nemours Mansion and Gardens (Wilmington, DE):



and Fort McHenry (Baltimore, MD)


As it turns out, there was a lot more history than I think we had originally anticipated.

Overall we had a lovely time:  the weather was warm and humid (but, sadly, that is no shock to our systems anymore) and everything was such a lovely state of green.  I (perhaps not surprisingly) preferred the more rural areas to the cities, but the history made it bearable.  

As per the past, I will likely do individual post on the different parts, so please bear with me as I sort through the pictures and get some narrative together.

In retrospect, this happened precisely when it needed to.


4 comments:

  1. Nylon126:31 AM

    There's no rush TB, take whatever time you need. Some of these photos are interesting since I just started reading Rise To Rebellion by Jeff Shaara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I have not often being in a part of the country with this sort of history, so it was nice. Picked up a couple of books on the period as well: one on Baron von Steuben and one on the War of 1812. The War of 1812 is pretty much terra incognita to me; it is interesting to consider if only a couple things had gone differently, how different the US would have been.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to the surrounding battlefields but I did spent a week in Philadelphia not too long ago. I really enjoyed the history of the place and wished I could have spent more time there than I was able too.

    Despite all the educational stuff to see, perhaps my favorite stop was to the corner of the cheesesteaks where I bought one from each side of the street and hauled them back to my wife for lunch where we both ate some of each. I had been dreaming of that experience for many many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, we found it very enjoyable as well, partially because of the fact that for us, this is not the sort of history we are generally surrounded by.

      We almost made it to the cheesesteaks, but ended up far enough out of Philadelphia main that we made other plans.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!