Tuesday, July 19, 2022

A Belated Celebratory 17 Years Of Blogging (And An Interview Update)



This weekend, I suddenly - and rather belatedly - realized I had reached my 17th year blogging.

Well, this is a little embarrassing.  

I say "17 years", but really - if you look my output - the first four years do not count: 4 posts in 2005, 25 posts in 2006, 50 posts in 2007.  Then somehow - magically - things changed in 2008 and I was "a blogger".  I have not clue now what motivated that change now, but things actually improved to the point that I was a "blogger" at that point.

Blogging has been a good discipline for me - to write at all of course, but to push myself to post something most - or since 2020 - all days.  I do not likely have the best post every day (I am painfully aware of my editing flaws) and likely sometimes it feels like hit or miss with my posts.

But (as of today) with 4,380 posts,  613,545 views and 13,145 comments (including my own of course), here we are.  And while the life of a blogger is not quite the glamour filled, financially rewarded gig I thought it would be, it has been incredibly beneficial to my soul.

Obviously as I am belated on this, we are writing into year 18.  This is still a good practice for me as a journey of self discovery and pushing myself to write - to be honest, some of the subjects that choose to write on shock me.  And - even if I have given up writing on certain subjects - there are still a world of subjects to write on for many years.

So thank you for coming along for the ride, and thank you for the time you choose to spend here.  I certainly appreciate it - time is life, and I appreciate the time readers spend here.  I will endeavor to continue to repay your trust.

(An interview update:  I am moving to an onsite in-person interview tomorrow.  The biggest concern - frankly - is that is a right fit for me and not just me "jumping ship" because of boredom on passing dissatisfaction.   As before, your prayers and thoughts are asked for.)

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:01 AM

    Congratulations on your blogging longevity. I know I couldn't keep at it for that long - I'd run out of things to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As some have very wisely posted, this has really become therapy for me. It certainly helps me to continue thinking and learning - after all, I have to write about something!

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:25 AM

    Thanks for all the effort and work you put into this blog TB ND and congrats on the longevity. Prayers are out and fingers crossed for tomorrow's interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12. Here is hoping - although given yesterday's events, I am in somewhat of a different place.

      Delete
  3. Happy cake day on your blogging. And I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR! Like most birthdays, one loses track after al while.

      Delete
  4. Blogging has been great therapy for me over the 20 years I have done so. Unfortunately, since I moved all my posts off site and out of easy counting view, I have no idea how many posts I have done but I do know the most productive ones were the early years when I often wrote several posts a day, every day. These last ten years or so when I have slowed down to just three post a week are probably the most consistent. I think, hope, quality has gone up as a result.

    Prayers offered for your in person interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I admire people that post several times a day - I can barely manage to scrape out one. And even with the post a day, the content - or perhaps more specifically the editing - leaves something to be desired. That said, this makes for a a discipline I find I miss very much when I am not doing it.

      Thanks for the prayers. They are much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Be safe and God bless, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and thanks for a thoughtful and thought provoking blog. It keeps me coming back for new insight. I comment on several blogs, but I'm terrified of doing my own--I'd never get away from the computer, and I still look for ways to shorten my time online and get on with "real" life.
    As for the interview, I must advise one crucial idea: If it comes about to accept an offer of a position, you MUST negotiate compensation upfront. Unless you find the offer exceedingly generous, it will do no harm to ask for something over the initial offer. I learned that the hard way many years ago when I blithely accepted the offered wage, while a buddy asked for something more. I never did catch up to him; every step increase made him a jump ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - Thank you, and it is indeed a time sink of sorts - that said, it is the sort of time sink I think I need.

      Thanks for the sound advice. Honestly, my negotiating stance at this point is "Here is what I make; I expect to increase it". Given the job and responsibilities, I have a fair idea of what the compensation should be. As long as we are in range, it is usually good.

      Delete
  7. I guess I am not really a blogger as my numbers are more like the ones from your early years. It's all I can manage and that's fine. I keep it as much to read others' blogs as to post my own stuff. I enjoy your blog and I'm glad I found it. Sounds like things are moving in a positive direction on the new job front and you might well have a decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. To some extent this is a self imposed burden, but one I am glad to have. Glad it brings joy.

      I may very well have a decision to make. And I always struggle with decisions...

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:10 PM

    I ran across your blog this past winter. You’re one of my daily check marks. Sometimes interesting and other times I move on. I don’t see that as a cause for alarm.

    Congratulations from Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found us FnB. To be honest, sometimes I expect people to just read and move by. I have found that posting every day almost guarantees that I will not be as happy with everything as I might be.

      Delete
  9. Congrats, TB. You caused me to go look at my blog's stats. I've been blogging for 15 years, but only have 597 posts (evidently - that seems like a ridiculously small number). My settings show I have an insane number of views, but I've come to realize that unless I turn off my own visits to my blog's different pages, those are in the total count. The setting doesn't stick for me, and I usually forget to turn it off when I come into my blog, so I have no idea really how many people actually visit my blog.

    Anyway, I want to say... unless there's something I don't know, I don't think it's the number or frequency of posts that makes someone a blogger. I claim the name. :) I'm glad to have found your blog. I can't always keep up with reading the daily posts, but it's fun to know there's always going to be something here when I check in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, blogging now represents one of the longest activities I have undertaken. In point of fact, the amount of effort compared to the reward is, on the face of it, absurd - I have (literally) not made a dime from any of this. But as you say, the fact that one is a blogger is all that matters.

      And thanks for your time in reading and commenting. Everyone's time is valuable; any part of it they spend with me is gratefully accepted.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!