Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Color of Winter...

 ...is brown.  Dead brown.  As in dead leaves.


I arrived back in New Home for the two week post mortem of Polarcalypse 2021.  Fortunately, we were blessed (and yes, I do use that word intentionally) with no damage at all with the sole exception of a downspout that had separated due to the weight of the ice.  No burst pipes; no collapsed ceilings; no wasted food in refrigerators or freezers that went bad.  

But we are now awash in leaves.

Every tree in our yard - and every yard around ours - that had leaves left has shed almost every one.  In our case, we have live oaks and so there were leaves on the trees.

Were.  Notice the past tense.

Now, there are leaves all over the ground, along with what appears to be dead shrubbery and dead plants.  And a vast swath of very brown looking grass.




My lime trees - the ones I was so proud of last year - are now brown sticks with dead leaves that mock me when the breeze blows.  Our Rosemary bush that was blocking the path along the back of the house is now blocking it with dead leaves and branches.  The Basil plant, that had managed to make this far, expired. 


 Only the garlic and onions, buried beneath soil and snow, made it unharmed.

I raked on Monday and filled up 10 lawn bags of leaves.  I estimate I am about 50% down with the total amount that needs to be raked.  Each of those bags is 30 gallons, so that is something like 600 gallons of leaves, dead grass, and random other dead things to be pulled up and disposed of.

I have no real concept of how much of this will come back.  We have a few - very few - shrubs that have retained their leaves and coloring (by which you can tell the natives, I suppose). And the oaks are at least native, so I assume for them this happens once in a while.  

For the rest, we will either be at the point where it comes back or we are looking at a spring and summer of serious re-landscaping.

8 comments:

  1. In my neck of the woods, everything looses leaves and looks like dead sticks until just about now. I'm guessing a lot will come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more than I expect Ed, although we have not had weather like this in up to 100 years.

      Delete
  2. It’s too bad you can’t compost the leaves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I have had bad luck posting oak leaves. Which is a shame, as I seem to have a million billion of them or so right now.

      Delete
  3. I follow a group on fb where a lot of people are asking questions because that sort of freeze is unusual for Louisiana.

    Most everyone is being told that it will all come back. You may want to do some trimming, of course.

    Our Live oaks look pretty poorly; but they've been through a rough year and it does take them years to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we have heard as well Linda. I am waiting a bit to see if I can tell what should come off and what should not before I cut.

      Delete
  4. Your lime tree MIGHT have survived. The trunk still looks green, and isn't split. Young citrus is the most vulnerable. If it gets too cold, the trunks themselves will freeze all the way through, and will split. If that happens, that's the end.

    I don't know about the rosemary, but the basil... call a priest...

    ...That lime is kinda close to the foundation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit close, Pete, now that you mention it. It is only a dwarf tree, so I would not expect it to get much taller - if it survives...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!