Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Support Your Local Blog

Upon pondering after thanking you all for reading (and again, thank you), it occurred to me that I could not only thank you, but encourage you.

Most of us bloggers are not here for the money (Good Heavens, there are far more easier ways to earn money), but what we are here for is to communicate.  Whether multiple times a day or once every two months,  I think we all write because, at some level, we are trying to communicate something about ourselves - be it our lives, our interests, or our thoughts.

The one thing that will ultimately discourage any blogger is to write into the void:  to pour one's self into the electronic paper, only to hear silence and crickets when the post comes. 

(Yes, I get that all posts do not resonate with every one.  But that is not true of every post for anyone).

So what can you do to help?  Simple:  comment.

Take the time to write a comment.  It can be a thought, an affirmation, or even one of those emotive icon things.  It does not matter.  Just put something in.

As a blogger, these are always welcome.  It means that someone took the time to read and actually think and respond.  It makes the effort worth it.  And sometimes, it even makes us think and make the original post better.

If the blogger is someone you like and they sell something you want or they have a tip jar and you feel inclined to donate, by all means do.  But even more importantly, comment.

If we are to change the world, we need to talk.  And start at no better place than simply to write something on someone's post, even if it is just "thanks".

12 comments:

  1. Well said. Comments are the only way bloggers know anybody is out there. That being said, thank you for your blog! I don't have a chance to read every post, but I always enjoy coming for a visit. And thank you for the comments you leave on my blog. It's like receiving a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I don't read...
    Foar any number of reasons I only know at the time.
    Sometimes I read and don't have anything to say.
    But I can try to leave a... face?
    👍❤😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, sir. Comments (and the stats) are the only feedback we bloggers receive. Well, that and an occasion e-mail. Lack of comments can be quite frustrating, as was said by another blogger this morning, because without them it's just us shouting down a well. Always nice to know that our words have sparked something - anything - in another's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:06 AM

    I don't often comment, but I read every new post.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:56 AM

    O.K., Thanks! Seriously, I enjoyed reading how you feel about comments. I have written before and you always reply with a thoughtful and related comment. but we are so far apart in age, I'm 82, and circumstances. You are still raising a family and involved in your working life. I am, by circumstances, effectively house bound. What do we have in common? I think it is a desire to optimally use this one life we have to the betterment of those we love and to make some small contribution to the general welfare. Of course, our overriding desire is to serve God in all we do. So, I cheer your successes and new insights and sigh with you over setbacks and add a prayer, too. I always thought when I got old I would have all my questions answered and all my problems solved. I would be so wise. But I'm still struggling so guess we have that in common. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, thank you Leigh! That is uncommonly kind of you. I greatly admire what you and Dan are doing (and maybe someday will grow up to be you).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, you are forever commenting. Not everyone reads everything - trust me I have had several conversation with my father (he reads here too) in which he tells me "I have no idea what you are writing about".

    I do like the face - oddly enough, I have no idea how to make those emotothingies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Reverend. I have found many ways that I cannot impact lives but at least one - writing - that can. And sometimes in the most unusual of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane - thank you for stopping by (and reading every post) and commenting. I really do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia - Thanks you (as always) for commenting. I do enjoy reading your comments too.

    Oddly enough, I think writing is one of those things that can help us bridge things like life differences - if we let it, if we take the words as they are meant rather than pour our own meaning into them (and then get craky about them).

    I truly do believe in doing my best to better the lives around me. To date, writing seems to be the best way to accomplish that (that and a strong sense of humor).

    The only think I seem to grasp about wisdom more and more is how little I have of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TB, I can only make them when I am commenting using my android phone. Since android is a google type product, it makes the magic to make the face. The only one I know from memory is the heart. ♥
    & hearts ; <--without the spaces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda - At least you remember something. I have no idea how to make them at all.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!