Thursday, January 31, 2019

My Hometown Paper

My local hometown paper when I was growing up was a very small, thin set of newsprint called The Journal.  It was delivered (I believe) three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).  It served the town I grew up in and perhaps 30 miles in every direction.

It was what one would expect from a small town paper:  Lots of local interest stories, a crime blotter (although not nearly as entertaining as the Unalaska one), marriages, obituaries, a small run of comics, local high school sports, and the classified ads. Somewhere buried I have occasional pictures from long ago of me, frozen forever in black and white newsprint, singing in front of a Christmas tree or in a parade.

But then, I as I grew up, so did they.  First they went to three days a week and Sunday, then five days a week and Sunday (with color comics).  Mind you, the content itself varied in volume - Tuesday papers, for example, were notoriously lacking in news. 

The justification, of course, was that the town was growing and there was demand for what they offered.  We were becoming a media consuming society you see, and people demanded the increase in circulation.  World and State events slowly made their way on to page two.  They actually had more than one section of paper.  And those fancy color comics.

But an odd things happened - the price continued to go up for the paper.  At some point, the paper stopped growing but the price continued to.  Cost of newsprint and paid professional reporters and all.

And then, of course, this thing called the InterWeb came along.  Suddenly, people could get their news in almost an instant.  Any reason for getting a paper for news that was not local suddenly seemed silly.  And with the price increases versus the free content of the InterWeb, the paper began to die.

The fancy large building that they built for the upgraded paper is mostly rented out to someone else now, the offices largely closed and the newspaper itself (I believe) printed somewhere else.  The editions have dropped dramatically as well.  It only comes out twice a week now, on Mondays and Thursdays.  Still very slim, but with lots of local news in it:  great if live directly in the area, not so important if you do not.

I read that last week almost 1,000 press personnel, reporters and cartoonists, some with over 30 years of experience and Pulitzer prizes, were laid off.  They were shocked of course, and could not understand why such things had to happen.  I never really like to see people lose their jobs - bad memories and impacted people - but at the same time, I could not help but be a little amazed by their lack of understanding:  the market has changed and the price people are willing to pay for news and content no longer matches what people expect to make.

In a way, like my hometown paper:  very good at offering value in a small niche, but not so good at selling their value in a crowded market with other alternatives available.  Sadly, like most industries and companies, this was only discovered after the curve had begun to decline.

Oddly enough, I wonder if they view their hometown papers the same way.

8 comments:

  1. We used to have a hometown paper. It was bought by a regional paper, but the local paper continued to print. Then it was absorbed into the regional paper as a section called "Local News." Pretty soon "Local News" went from being "local to my town" to "local to somewhere in the southern half of the state." Then it went hands-down, off-the-map Left wing. Indeed, it might as well have been printed in Spanish, given its pro-illegal immigrant stance. Then I canceled my subscription. I got at least one call per day for weeks asking why I cancelled. I told the reps their paper lost its "neutrality" long ago, and didn't relate to the taxpaying American citizen. They got defensive. I hung up the phone. That paper is now on the ropes. Good for them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't find grocery coupons in them any more. At least not here.

    It's that way here, too, publication wise. Just a couple days a week. Though this local paper does have a website that you can pay a subscription to access.

    It is kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete, I honestly cannot believe journalism programs are thriving in college. The entire industry has changed and the industry itself has been very slow (read glacial) to change.

    There is a larger regional paper that my parents subscribed to for years but final gave up on recently because it was simply too expensive to merit continuing with. Newsprint is a dying industry. They may expire within my life time. Honestly, the only time I pick one up is when I go home to visit my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, none in my hometown paper either. The grocery stores here send out a mailer each week instead.

    I think the paper of which I speak has a website as well - but honestly, I cannot think of paying for that just for web access. And besides, newspaper does have some actual uses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Compost, pet cages, starting a fire, and making seed pots are some I can think of.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. My great-grandfather was editor of their town newspaper, so I received a large box filled with his columns and other things he wanted to save. At that time (late 1800s) it was filled with local details about the residents: who had whom to luncheon and who was going out of town. I tried to find the paper online, but the name had changed (if it's still the same one).

    The last time I subscribed to a newspaper (our first year here) it had more ads than "news." It was a very slim edition and yet cost the same as the "big city" newspaper in the next county. It didn't really give me a feel for the flavor of the community so I didn't renew.

    Between the more-ads philosophy, hiking rates, and free news on the internet, it's surprising newspapers are even published anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting Leigh. Even in my memory, only the very large city papers had any kind of social details any more.

    And certainly yes on the advertisments to news ratio. That is a part I failed to mention but is very accurate.

    The fact is that newspapers are not published more and more now. I think most of what they have left is people slightly above my generation who have the habit of reading the paper. As they continue to decrease, the physical paper will decrease as well. Newsrooms will become much smaller and the "Print" organization will be limited to InterWeb folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed Linda. The Rabbit Shelter I volunteer at is a great beneficiary of unused newsprint.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!