Saturday, January 26, 2019

A Few Words from...Robert Heinlein On Writing


  1. You must write.
  2. Finish what you start.
  3. You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.
  4. You must put your story on the market.
  5. You must keep it on the market until it has sold.

(Heinlein also said about the above rules:  "The above five rules really have more to do with how to write speculative fiction than anything said above them. But they are amazingly hard to follow – which is why there are so few professional writers and so many aspirants, and which is why I am not afraid to give away the racket.")

HT:  www.deanwesleysmith.com

4 comments:

  1. Ha. Very interesting observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he qualified these as being for speculative fiction. As a nonfiction writer, I rewrite a great deal. Often the first scribblings are just to get the ideas down so I don't forget them. Sometimes I'm just having an uninspired day so what I write sounds stiff. Sometimes my descriptions don't make sense!

    For fun I started a nonfiction book and discovered how much "easier" it was to write than nonfiction. I could just go with the flow! Many hours are spent on research and clarification for what I actually publish. More time and work, but necessary, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Heinlein can be somewhat of an acquired taste. His style is very much direct - as is his advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh, I think the most important part of the advice is essentially "just keep writing". It is my biggest struggle.

    I will say that for some of my fiction, I have had to have sufficient understanding of certain activities - charcoal making, sword polishing - to make it believable. Speculative fiction works only so far as some part of it is believable.

    At least for myself, I have found that (again, fiction) my first draft is my best. Not sure why, whether it is flow or just being in the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!