Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Ready For An Appliance Break

With our water heater safely replaced, I started to tally up the appliance damage.

Within the space of a year, we have had to replace our HVAC system (including air conditioner), our refrigerator, our drier, and our dishwasher along with our now water heater.  This essentially leaves or dishwasher and our range/oven as the remaining major pieces appliances that are original to either the house or when we moved in.

It is okay - we have somehow managed to weather the replacement storm, along with the various car repairs (I quite believe we could have bought another one for the repairs last year) and assisting with Nighean Gheal's college.  Still, the whole thing makes me the slightest bit grumpy.

I mean, good heavens - for once, can we not catch a break?  A year without something going wrong or an unexpected expense?  That old adage about having the salary means that it gets absorbed seems to keep coming up again and again.

Houses, as much good as they provide us are, I think, much like the description my father once gave me about cars:  "Son, it is a money pit.  A new one just means you do not have to spend the money right up front."  And that seems to be holding up well enough - to be frank, at this point I am almost waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

Still, I suppose it all adds value to the house - and all maintained, one less thing to go wrong - next time.

Let us just hope the stove continues to light...

8 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago was my latest "year of broken stuff." EVERYTHING broke. And I do mean EVERYTHING. Money flowed like a red river from my checking account. It was brutal, but I'm still here. I dunno why this happens, but it does.

    BTW; swapping out a water heater is a heavier version of changing a light bulb. The hardest part is getting the old one out of the way, and putting the new one in place. Two water lines, and one gas (or electric) line. Household repairs don't get much easier than that; definitely within the scope of "do-it-yourself..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's our ol' nemesis Murphy... you know... the guy behind 'Murphy's Law'? He's quite a nuisance! And I do hate him. ;^)
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me neither, Pete. And yes, we are still here too.

    Sadly, it was not only replacement but bringing up to code as well. I would rather have someone else take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I as well Hobo. If I ever meet that guy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Well, if you DO happen to catch a break and actually save some money - remember your creepy friends on the internet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glen - in the (increasingly) unlikely event that happens, I will certainly keep you in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. read that all appliances are now made with a die off date of 10 years in 10 years do not be surprised if you have another year of replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah, I can devoutly hope that I am not here in 10 years...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!