Saturday, July 18, 2026

The Allotment, Mid-July 2026 Edition

The Allotment (as I am fondly calling it) is the 10' x 20' allocation I have in the local Community Garden.  It is a 10 minute walk from my apartment; currently going, watering, and coming back takes about 35 minutes, 50 minutes if I take the long way back. 

Half One.  Sadly, this part is heavily shaded during at least part of the day.


Half Two.  The wood chips are available and people make their own paths.


I have at least one tomato! (Actually, I have more.)


My beans have been very successful.  The bamboo stakes are a fairly recent addition.  I have to admit I quite like them as they inexpensive, easy to place, and I do not mind if one breaks (as opposed to a tomato cage).  I ended up using kitchen twine to tie up the tomatoes as I could not find the other twine (which, of course, I found after I had used the kitchen twine.  The hazards of moving.).


FOTB (Friend Of This Blog) Eaton Rapids Joe had suggested trying soybeans to improve the soil. The two pictures below represent an experiment of sorts: the first picture are the seeds planted in bare soil, the second buried beneath the mulch which covered the plot.  I am not sure in the difference in return is solely due to the planting, as the second plot is also more shaded.



My one grain for the Summer was buckwheat.  It has done incredibly well; the bright pink flowers are cheery.


Almost too faint to be seen below are five to seven onion seedlings.  From seed.  No-one is more shocked than I.

I got to this plot relatively late (for me) in the year, around April.  That said, everything here is an experiment at the moment; if I get anything I will be tickled pink.  But I already find myself saying things like "I need to start getting ready for Autumn" and "What grains will I be growing for Winter?"

I may not get much this year, but it is a lot of fun.

6 comments:

  1. Nylon127:46 AM

    Ah, perhaps a garden journal TB, keep track of intentions, actions and results. Will next year's plot be the same as this year? A cheap rain gauge also? Plans to start seedlings at home? See what success this year, reinforce/experiment next year, talk to neighbors (if possible) and ask them questions? Please keep us readers updated on this endeavor TB.........:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I have some notes, but they are not really organized - to be fair, this was a bit of a last minute event as I did not "get" the space until the end of March, and really could not plan until April.

      The seedlings at home idea may work, although I would have to do some rearranging of things here (maybe the balcony, although light is really the challenge). I have also been eyeing my "neighbors" and their plots to see what works.

      Not sure about the next year's plot; I have been looking at them and most of the desirable ones are (understandably) full.

      Delete
  2. It is quite a bit bigger than I was imagining.

    At least here, tomatoes grow so large and heavy with fruit that even the sturdiest of tomato cages won't hold them up. They will eventually lay the tomato cages on their sides. For years I tried tying the cages to one another but that just made it hard to pick. My final solution was to drive a metal fence post into the ground in the center of a tomato cage. It can flop over to one side but the fence post keeps it upright. But it is a bit more work in the fall to remove all those fence posts so I can till.

    Years ago, we used to plant what was referred to as winter wheat. We would sow it in the fall and then either disk it in the spring for added nitrogen or wait until early summer and harvest it. I have no idea if it was a special type of wheat.

    One suggestion I would offer for a winter crop is to plant garlic in late fall before it freezes. Like winter wheat, it will sprout and shoot up a few inches but over winters well and then early next summer you'll have a fine crop of garlic to harvest. Of everything I plant, it is the easiest to self sustain as I just keep the very best of the bulbs for a few months until time to replant in the fall again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, it is likely the largest plot I have had in almost 20 years. That said, I need to configure it better next year (although to be fair, the shade may be helpful whenever we get some heat.

      Some of my neighbor use cages, some bars as you describe, and some posts. Right now storage space is the big issue for me.

      I have successfully grown winter wheat, barley, and rye in the Fall/Winter/Spring (and oats, but those are a processing nightmare). There are a number of wheat fields around here, so I was thinking of using those as a "stalking horse" of when to plant (Although not later than August, I suspect).

      Garlic is definitely on the list; it is the one thing I have successfully grown for 25 years even when everything else failed me.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your allotment garden. It's a generous size, which is nice. I've never been able to grow onions from seed. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh!

      10' x20' is a lot of space when I see it this way. I have Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening; I need to consult it again.

      Funny thing about the onions: I planted those seeds over a month ago, and they just stared showing up!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!