Approximately 1.2 million people live in the Tonlé Sap region, where most living by fishing (the Tonlé Sap provides 60% of Cambodia's total freshwater fish intake and 60% of the country's protein intake). The region also supports rice growing.
There is also a population that dwells on the lake itself in boats. It is possible that has always been the case; currently the bulk of that population are those of Vietnamese descent who have lived here a very long time (but had to flee during the reign of the Khmer Rouge 1975 -1979).
As part of our trip, we went through one of these floating villages.
Boat living culture has always fascinated me. I guess because it is so foreign to the mentality I grew up and still live in where I need to own my home and consider it somewhat permanent in the sense it will outlive me. To be able to just live on something that floats and then when it starts to become unfloatable, move onto the next thing that can float seems incredibly attractive to some part of my brain. I'm sure those that do live on boats though would gladly trade places if they could because they live with all the negative aspects of boat living on a daily basis.
ReplyDeleteEd - It is an interesting concept, this idea of just relocating when needed or moving around. That said, rain and wind would likely be an issue and - in the case of the Tonlé Sap, having an increase and decrease of 33 feet a year would be unsettling, at least to me.
DeleteAmazing how Man can adapt to the environment TB. Living on the water 24/7? Cue the nope.. nope.. nope meme.........:)
ReplyDeleteNylon12, it really is amazing.
DeleteI do not know it would be for me either - but then again, if that is all one knew, perhaps the dry land would be a "nope".
Fascinating. Especially the plants (garden?)
ReplyDeleteI read a blog by someone who owns a float cabin in Canada, where they spend their summers. Living literally on the water is a unique way to live, to be sure.
Leigh, I thought the plants (I kind of thought it was a garden) was one of the most interesting things.
DeleteOne of my former bosses lived part of his life on his boat, mostly docked in a marina. The comment I remember is how small a space it was.