Monday, August 26, 2024

On The Nature Of My Life And Getting Straightened Out


(I cannot specifically attest the existence of the Ascetic Gabriel but Karoulia, as it turns out, is a skete (a small collection of monks of the Orthodox tradition that live in isolation as part of a larger monastery on Mt. Athos in Greece) and really does exist.  More here.

I realized last week (on a Wednesday at around 1630 if that is relevant) that I am on a journey I did not anticipate.  I faintly saw it around 1200 that day but it did not click into place until later.  

The path picks up (I think) sometime around the time of my move when I found myself in many ways very much on my own.  Perhaps it was because of the relative silence or perhaps because of being isolated, I asked God for guidance on a great many things - not only the direction of my life but my very nature.

Important safety tip:  as with praying for patience, these turn out to be the sort of prayers God delights to answer.  But as with patience, perhaps not in the way we anticipated or wanted.  In my case, it has a been a great deal of confrontation about who I am in my core and how much I reflect Christ and His Gospel.

I have been reading a combination of short biographies of lesser known Orthodox monks and clergy, quotes from Columba of Iona, and the Stoic philosopher Epictetus.  What has come through is the following:

1)  I am not nearly as humble as I should be.
2)  I am not nearly as kind as I should be.
3)  I am not nearly as Christlike as I should be.
4)  I am not nearly working as hard on my sinful nature as I should be.

That was a lot of "shoulds" for a Wednesday evening.

The thing that was "impressed" on me (no - there was no visitation or thunder and lightening) was simply the fact that now more than ever - here in this time and this place - Christ wants His witnesses.  Not just witnesses that mention they go to church as part of their regular schedule (although that is super Scriptural and very important) but those who are actual Christlike.

What does that mean?  Two things, I think.  The first is simply that follow the commands of Christ and the apostles.  Those are pretty well laid out in the New Testament (not that we necessarily like them, but they are there).  The second is that we live specifically to the situation where we are truly Christ's representatives, perhaps His only ones.

We all live and work in different places.  We are in different social situations.  In that sense I do not wonder (and am more and more convinced) that application of Christlikeness will be different for each of us - we are tailor-made, as it were, for those situations and those others in our lives.

What is it for me?  I do not fully know but some things that have come to mind are humility, kindness, willingness to serve and be a "soldier on the line" as it were (this is far more difficult than I had anticipated with a change in position and role). 

(Also, just be a better servant as a husband in general.  But I suspect for the married this is always a thing.)

The thing that cemented all this?  The quote above.

C.S. Lewis said it more politely but not any less fervently:

"But the great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not.  It is not wearied by our sins, or our indifference; and therefore is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him". (Mere Christianity)

I asked the question and God gave the answer.  It is up to me to get on with the tasks at hand.  Or He will happily do it for me - more directly perhaps but also I suspect with more discomfort to myself.

11 comments:

  1. Nylon127:38 AM

    The older I get the more I try to remember.....Treat others the way you wish to be treated TB. Perhaps a bit simplistic and yet......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not simplistic at all, Nylon12. For me it Is apparently that I need to learn and relearn the same less over and over until it sticks.

      Delete
    2. Sigh. "is" instead of "Is. New keyboard arrives this week...

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:35 AM

      Why does "is" bother you so much. We don't notice or keeping score of a "mistake". Is it perfection your striving for? Your life is written in the book. I doubt this is even a footnote.

      Delete
    4. Anon - I have always been haunted by the parable of the sheep and the goats: those who died believing in their heart of hearts they were saved and only finding out - too late - that they were not. By that time it is too late to do anything else.

      The parable of the servant who put his talent in the ground as well. He thought he did well by not losing it; the Master expected more.

      Delete
  2. I find myself a lot more patient and forgiving the older I get. I think a lot of that has to do with increasing knowledge. That person that cut me off this morning probably wasn't being rude but in a hurry to get their child to school on time. I wasn't in a hurry so I just slowed down to allow ample room between her bumper and mine in case she had to hit her brakes. Younger and less intelligent me might have honked and rode her bumper a few meters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, likely it is age and understanding for me as well. That said, I do find there is a difference now between me being less concerned and me simply shaking my head and letting things move forward. Mostly this for decisions where the outcome can be clearly seen but the individual simply will not listen. In such case - more and more anyway - I find myself simply stepping aside and at least making sure I am more or less out of the blast radius.

      Delete
  3. We all need improvement. I think you can still be a private person and accomplish those things.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Linda. Perhaps it is such a strong feeling at the moment as I am in a new location and out of my comfort zone.

      Delete
  4. A thoughtful post, TB. I appreciate it, and am thinking how much mercy there is in the idea that God will do His work in us whether we are fully on board or not. A few years ago, I found myself experiencing the pain of the later (and can still feel the pain, in all honesty), but I have to say... passing through that has given me a deeper appreciation for how much God has forgiven (and continues to forgive) me for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - I have to admit I struggled a lot after posting this because it only reminds me how far I still have to go. But as you point out, it is good to remember such things are ultimately for God's glory and our good. We just can not always make that out from this side of the veil.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!