Thursday, August 01, 2024

The Collapse CLVI: Ripening

12 August 20XX +1

My Dear Lucilius:

The wheat is starting to turn.

I write this with not quite the sort of enthusiasm that I might have written this with only a few days ago, not so much from a lack of excitement (I am always excited about wheat ripening) as I am about managing my focus on the matter.

I have enjoyed growing grains for years, although the growing of such grain has mostly been in small quantities to perhaps make a loaf or two of bread and seed grain for next year. I cannot tell you why I love it so much; there is just something both about the nature of the growth itself as well as the play of watching the grains riffle and swirl in the breeze. More than once since moving here I pulled over at the place near Big City and just watched the grain move and blow.

Over the years I have grown any number of grains: Wheat (Winter, Spring, Emmer), Rye, Barley (Black and Regular), Sorghum, Buckwheat, all with varying degrees of success. Climate had a lot to do with it: where I grew up, I could get almost anything to grow to maturity. In the place where my wife and I had lived for years and raised a family, my go-to’s – wheat, barley, rye – almost never did well because the rain extended out through the Summer, which often introduced mold and a failure to ripen long before I could get to them. There, the most successful were either the ones that finished early (some strains of rye and barley or Emmer wheat) or Sorghum in the Summer (which was wildly successful, if I could keep the birds away). For some reason, Buckwheat and Oats have always been a total loss for me wherever I have lived (unfortunate as I eat a lot oats – or at least did so, in the past).

The processing of my own grains is not difficult; an afternoon with a hand scythe is enough to pull everything down and put it into small shocks to finish the drying process. Threshing is a pretty primitive affair: it is me, a plastic bucket, and a bat. After the initial thresh I drop the grains from one bucket to another, allowing the breeze to take most of chaff. I rinse and repeat once or twice and then move to hand sorting before rinsing everything and allowing it to dry. Ovens in the past worked well for that; I suppose now covering it directly in the sun will have to do.

Thankfully the grain mill I purchased years ago is not dependent on electricity; a small hand crank model, it does the job when one is grinding grain down at need for baking. It is a pleasant enough task, although one that requires two or three passes to reach the right consistency.

I know you did not ask, but all things grain are covered in Gene Logsdon’s book Small-Scale Grain Raising. We have talked about Logsdon much in the past and how much I admired his view on life and agriculture. His practicality, clarity of opinion, and sheer cussedness (A term that is used, I believe, for stubborn endurance) are things I have tried to emulate.

I passed the information on the state of the wheat along to Young Xerxes in the presence of Pompeia Paulina to clearly and concisely communicate the information – not commit. The information itself was straightforward: the Wheat is turning, I would likely give it the earliest of two weeks, someone should let everyone including Epicurus know.

Young Xerxes shot out the door. My wife seemed happy that nothing more was conveyed than information.

In the back of my mind, Lucilius, I know this is the best course, even as part of me chafes to do more. But the value of a thing is not just its inherent value, but the value with which we treat it. And I am at least able to recognize a very good thing when I have it.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:12 AM

    Time for Seneca to leave the heavy lifting to younger backs and minds eh TB? Nondigital copies are a good thing to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it is a good point that Seneca has not addressed - but no, he is no Spring Chicken.

      I was reminded even recently how good it is to have non-digital copies of things that you own - not only for the "if the electricity fails" outcome, but the "suddenly you cannot access your paid-for items" outcome.

      Delete
  2. Thrilled Gene Logsdon has entered the chat. Met the Gentleman once, he's awesome to talk and work with.

    Now if chickens were scurrying around the chaffing wheat area the eggs would be blessed.

    Chicken TV, it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is something that I would have loved to have been able to do.

      I remember very specifically when I was first introduced to him. It was the Summer of 2000 - July specifically - and I was on a plane. I had purchased his book The Contrary Farmer as I was doing some initial reading on agriculture. I was absolutely taken by the work: here was a man who could write well and passionately advocated for an agrarian lifestyle with humor and wit and sarcasm. I was hooked. I have since acquired almost everything that he wrote. He never fails to disappoint.

      Delete
  3. Adjust attitude. It's good to do...regularly.
    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T_M, I often fall into the bad habit of not doing so myself. I need to do so more often.

      And you are more than welcome.

      Delete
  4. Interesting chapter, especially because I have wheat experience to appreciate it. It's funny, but when one must do everything by hand, one's diet changes accordingly. Foods that are labor intensive are more dear and rationed differently than foods that grow in easy abundance for the picking. The modern diet is processed grain heavy, but when something becomes a lot of work, it's more of a treat than a staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that is a super good point.

      And even without doing it by hand. Living on my own as I do now, the amount of time I spend on cooking is very small as I do not really want to invest massive amounts of time making a meal for one. I am somewhat shocked how simply and cheaply I can live on my own in that regard.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!